Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Reese Weight Distribution Hitch

I have a Reese Weight Distribution that I use to tow my Outback TT. Recently one of the spring bars will jump out of its attachment point on the TT. It then rides on the sway bolt and is starting to show wear. Any ideas as to what may be going on? Is there anything I should try before taking it in for repair?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

There are more than one Reese WD hitches. Which one?

My first guess is that the saddle on the trailer tongue is too far one way or the other, because it jumps out when you turn? You didn't mention when it happens.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I'm not sure which hitch it is. I have the paperwork in the camper. I'm not sure when it happens, we find it when we stop.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Reese - Weight Distribution

Here are there hitches, you can link which one it is. I think this is an easily solved issue. All issues start being resolved once we establish what we have and when it happens.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
It looks like the straight-line trunnion bar. I measured the distance out from the a frame. The one with the problem measures 3.25" and the other 2.25. Nothing looks bent but I don't see how it can be adjusted.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #6

Did you read the instructions on how to set up for the first time? I think one saddle is too far back maybe.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, it sounds like you have the cam of the dual-cam hitch mounted too far back from the coupler. Mine is 18" from the center of the coupler to the center of front bolt that fastens the cam bracket to the trailer tongue, and it never slips out. But hindsight tells me that 17" would be even better.

To check yours, go to a big empty parking lot and turn the rig as sharp as it will turn when going forward. Then stop with the trailer at the max turning angle, and get out and look at the end of the trunion bars in the cams. If one trunnion bar is nearly out of the cam, then you need to move the cam brackets an inch or two toward the coupler.

After you get the cam brackets moved, then check the lift up brackets too. The chain should be straight up and down between the cam and the lift-up bracket. If not, then move the lift-up bracket an inch or so towards the coupler too.

Brackets for propane tanks, battery, etc., might limit where the cam bracket and lift-up brackets can be located. If that's your problem, then you need to visit a good welding shop and have them move other stuff so the hitch components can be located exactly where they need to go. After the hitch is properly installed, then the propane tanks and battery can be located anywhere they will fit.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight