Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Reinforcing Travel Trailer Bumper for Double Towing

Thinking about double towing our UTV trailer (with UTV) behind our travel trailer, but a little apprehensive about using the travel trailer bumper without adding reinforcement to the frame connection. Travel trailer is a 2017 Keystone Cougar 29BSHWE (34 ft) and UTV trailer is a tandem axle aluminum flatbed trailer (18 ft). I have already researched that double towing is legal in Utah where we live and plan to travel, a permit is required due to the total length of truck, travel trailer, and UTV trailer, so no need to discuss this concern further as it is not the primary reason for this thread. Our UTV is long (4-seater), and more importantly heavy, weighing ~ 2,400 lbs. Adding 1,100 lbs for the UTV trailer totals to 3,500 lbs pulling on the travel trailer’s rear bumper. Attaching a picture to show how Keystone only tack-welded on the rear bumper. Pondering how to reinforce the existing bumper and trailer connection or replace with a different bumper built for purpose. Either way gonna probably need a trailer or fab shop that can modify as needed. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	221730
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahEngineer View Post
Thinking about double towing our UTV trailer (with UTV) behind our travel trailer, but a little apprehensive about using the travel trailer bumper without adding reinforcement to the frame connection. Travel trailer is a 2017 Keystone Cougar 29BSHWE (34 ft) and UTV trailer is a tandem axle aluminum flatbed trailer (18 ft). I have already researched that double towing is legal in Utah where we live and plan to travel, a permit is required due to the total length of truck, travel trailer, and UTV trailer, so no need to discuss this concern further as it is not the primary reason for this thread. Our UTV is long (4-seater), and more importantly heavy, weighing ~ 2,400 lbs. Adding 1,100 lbs for the UTV trailer totals to 3,500 lbs pulling on the travel trailer’s rear bumper. Attaching a picture to show how Keystone only tack-welded on the rear bumper. Pondering how to reinforce the existing bumper and trailer connection or replace with a different bumper built for purpose. Either way gonna probably need a trailer or fab shop that can modify as needed. Attachment 221730

I would think that a 34' trailer would be at or above the max for an F 150, regardless of what it's rated to tow. I would think that if you went forward with this idea, you'd be better off putting a hitch on the trailer frame rather than attaching anything to the bumper, assuming the frame can handle it.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

I don't think the rest of the frame will be strong enough to handle the extra load. You will get bending and twisting that may cause structural damage to the TT. The complete frame may have to be reinforced from front to back as well as side to side.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

I'd be afraid of what the second trailer would do to the first then the truck. Your not only adding overall weight, but removing hitch weight from the first trailer. What is that going to do for side forces? Ext- winds, trucks passing. If one starts to wag and then starts wagging the other it may prove uncontrollable.
Now I know trucks with 5vers do this but they are usually dually trucks and the nature of a 5ver trailer makes them far more stable by design. I'd think this through very carefully before moving forward. But then again, it's just one man's opinion.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #5

I did this for 8 years with 3 different trucks. You need to build from the frame as the bumper isnt enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0F50E59B-1052-4602-A599-29A3E75072DC.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	221758  
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #6

I'm sure you've considered this but if you have any warranty left on the frame, this kind of mod will most certainly void it. But yes, double towing is done a lot a sis legal in most states, limited total length of the set up. God luck.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #7

Coastal Campers
Leaving the truck issue aside, to install a hitch to handle that kind of weight will really take someone that knows how to do it to figure out how. It is really an engineering problem, but someone with a lot of similar experience could probably figure it out. I agree that a separate hitch mounted to a seriously modified frame will be required. The design might involve replacing the existing bumper with a more robust piece of steel, and working that into the total design.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post

I would think that a 34' trailer would be at or above the max for an F 150, regardless of what it's rated to tow. I would think that if you went forward with this idea, you'd be better off putting a hitch on the trailer frame rather than attaching anything to the bumper, assuming the frame can handle it.

Need to update my profile. F150 is gone. Have a new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab 4x4 SRW. As for the hitch vs bumper ... I agree ... but due to the offset of the rear bumper I would need a long hitch receiver.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #9

I add a receiver to all my rv trailers for towing doubles. I prefer a welded custom fabed hitch over a generic bolt on....if you can find them .
You can work up your own design and stress numbers.
On my first trailer it had a pretty lite weight main frame rails. So I had the shop work from the last axle out the rear with 2" X 5" X 3/16" wall steel tube. Had them add cross members plus 4" X 3/16" wall steel channel as bracing at the corners. This was a straight shot out the rear.
Other trailers with a more robust main frame rails I usually work from around 4' from the end and on out the rear.
I'm not a engineer but having been a journeyman aircraft jig & fixture builder (large and small) at one time I tend to over build everything.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #10

I towed my 2 seater RZR on a 5X10 utility trailer behind a Timber Ridge Trailer for a couple years. Trailer was about 800 lbs, around 1100 for the RZR, loaded with spare tire etc generally around 2400lbs. I had friend (Certified Welder, aircraft parts fabricator) beef up the trailer frame and build the hitch. He put 3 cross braces in, plus beefed up and cross braced around the suspension and where my slide was. He actually used the hitch to beef up the rear bumper which was very light duty and would have probably broken just from the spare tire mount over time.

Unfortunately, my friend retired and moved, and I don't know anyone I trust well enough to engineer something to work behind my fifth wheel. Looking at the frame, it's pretty light duty in the back, and I suspect would need beefed up more towards the front and suspension area as well. If you find a good shop to fab something for you here in the Northern Utah area let me know as we're still debating adding a hitch to our setup as well.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #11

There's a local company that specializes in this type of thing. I believe its SLC Trailer. They will come to you. Look them up on Facebook
nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer, travel, travel trailer