Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
With just finishing up my 4th season in my hybrid trailer, I noticed some "cupping" on one of my front tandem tires. Just to be safe I replaced it with the spare. I was thinking of replacing all 4 tires after the season was over. I would like to get some with a little more side wall support. The factory tires are bias plys. The local tire place recommended Tow Master who he said was made by Goodyear. Another trailer tire place suggested Marathon by Goodyear. He said these were radials and would give better sidewall support. I guess I have about 10k miles on the tires. I could get another season out of the originals, but I would rather play it safe. Has anyone heard of Tow Master tires? I'm thinking Tow Master and the other dealers Marathons were the same tire. One being the Goodyear name and other generic, but the same tire. The Tow Master was about $15 cheaper per tire. Someone suggested a tire by Kelly, but neither dealer heard of any trailer tires by Kelly. And I believe Michelin only makes 16" steel belted tires for 5ers'. My trailer only has 14" (load range "C"). Aerolite Cub >> Cub Hybrid

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
With just finishing up my 4th season in my hybrid trailer, I noticed some "cupping" on one of my front tandem tires. Just to be safe I replaced it with the spare. I was thinking of replacing all 4 tires after the season was over. I would like to get some with a little more side wall support. The factory tires are bias plys. The local tire place recommended Tow Master who he said was made by Goodyear. Another trailer tire place suggested Marathon by Goodyear. He said these were radials and would give better sidewall support. I guess I have about 10k miles on the tires. I could get another season out of the originals, but I would rather play it safe. Has anyone heard of Tow Master tires? I'm thinking Tow Master and the other dealers Marathons were the same tire. One being the Goodyear name and other generic, but the same tire. The Tow Master was about $15 cheaper per tire. Someone suggested a tire by Kelly, but neither dealer heard of any trailer tires by Kelly. And I believe Michelin only makes 16" steel belted tires for 5ers'. My trailer only has 14" (load range "C"). Aerolite Cub >> Cub Hybrid

Old 08-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
I heaRD MAXXIS tires are good but where i live i have to order them, no place here sells them but they are sold in other areashttp://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Trailer.aspx

5.3 V8 tow package 3.73 2009 Roo23ss.ultra Fab 3500,equalizer hitch 1000/10000.
jerry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #4

Superslif

I recently replaced the OEM Missions on my Arctic
Fox with Tow Master. If they are made by Goodyear, they are made in Goodyears Indonesia plant At least it wasn't China. I haven't had them on the road yet. I had a Mission go bad on one trip & another go the next trip. They had to go. They were less than 2 years old. I'll see how they pull Labor Day.

Newt
Old 08-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Jim:

I replaced my load range "C" Goodyear Marathons with load range "D" last June. However, I have 15" wheels so you might not have that option in a 14" wheel. The tires that were replaced were the originals from when the TT was purchased in 2000. By RV standards, I was overdue. But I keep the TT stored undreground about six months out of the year so the tires aren't exposed to the sun as much as a unit that sits outside all year.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Frank do you recall what the load limit was for the Load Class "C" tires you replaced? I'm up hear in North Pole Alaska till the 21st. of Aug.(no not camping). I'm sure you run a lot heavier than me, but I tend to travel to more remote places with a possibilities of bad roads. Sometimes I get on secondary roads that are very un-evenly paved or very narrow where the right hand tires get hit with more chuck holes and deteriorating pavement. I think I'm leaning towards the Tow Masters. Newt, is that a " toy Hauler" you towing? Were the OEM's (Missions) Radials or Bias tires. I'm thinking that my OEM tires being bias ply tire had softer sidewalls. The radials should give me more support. The guy at the tire dealer said "cupping" on the front tires of tanden RV trailers is very common.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superslif:
The guy at the tire dealer said "cupping" on the front tires of tanden RV trailers is very common. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never experienced cupping on any of my 5th wheel tires, and all of my 5th wheels have had tandem axles. Of course, I always had the tires balanced....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superslif:
Frank do you recall what the load limit was for the Load Class "C" tires you replaced? I'm up hear in North Pole Alaska till the 21st. of Aug.(no not camping). I'm sure you run a lot heavier than me, but I tend to travel to more remote places with a possibilities of bad roads. Sometimes I get on secondary roads that are very un-evenly paved or very narrow where the right hand tires get hit with more chuck holes and deteriorating pavement. I think I'm leaning towards the Tow Masters. Newt, is that a " toy Hauler" you towing? Were the OEM's (Missions) Radials or Bias tires. I'm thinking that my OEM tires being bias ply tire had softer sidewalls. The radials should give me more support. The guy at the tire dealer said "cupping" on the front tires of tanden RV trailers is very common. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My trailer is an Arctic Fox 25S travel trailer. The OEM tires were radial as well as the Tow Masters. They are load range C, 215x15
Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Jim:

My spare is one of the original load range "C" tires but the TT is at the self-store and not here. If I don't have a "senior moment" the next time I go over there, I'll look at the both the "C" and "D" tires and see what the max load is. Just to give you something to relate to, the GVWR of my TT is 8,500 lbs.

Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote