Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

Retro Towing?

I was in the doctors office today, reading National Geographic. On the last page was a retro picture of some ice fishing from 1958. In the background was a 42 ft Travel Trailer being towed .... by a BUICK.
So now I am looking for a '58 Buick that I can remove the trunk in order to tow my fifth wheel.
Tollyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #2

Here are a few ideas to get you going

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #3

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Okay, where's the "like" button x2.
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They just don't make cars like they use to.
Check out the rig used by Desi and Lucy in the Long Trailer
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, up until the OPEC Oil Crisis in 1973, most American "full size" sedans had huge engines with lots of power, and they could tow a large travel trailer with no big problems, provided the driver knew what he was doing.

My 1965 Olds 88 had 7-liter (425 CID) engine that ran on premium gas, and got 8 MPG on the highway. Hydra-matic automatic tranny was stout. Heavy duty frame that could handle the hitch weight of a 24' TT. No problem with enough power for dragging that TT up into the Rockies. I did have to upgrade the shocks to stiffen up the soft ride of an ordinary Olds 88.

But in 1973 I had to wait in line to buy gas - sometimes for hours at a time. After that, American cars were "downsized" and even the big cars had smaller engines and lighter frames, no longer suitable for dragging a heavy trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

My 78 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham had a 440.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

My 68 Dart with 383 had enough power to pull the frame tails right off the car if I hooked a trailer to it which is likely a safety feature since I would have likely only made it about 10km before the frame collapsed or the rear diff completely diconnected. Drittal's New Yorker was the Bismark of luxury cars. Likely more stout than a lot of 2500's of today. I'm only old enough to read about the glory days (and rebuild one or two as I can) I will have never lived them like some of you folks.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
They just don't make cars like they use to.
Check out the rig used by Desi and Lucy in the Long Trailer
Even 'Hollywood Magic' had it's limitations.
Look closely and you can see the 'tongue dolly' used to support the tongue weight

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
My 68 Dart with 383 had enough power to pull the frame tails right off the car if I hooked a trailer to it which is likely a safety feature since I would have likely only made it about 10km before the frame collapsed or the rear diff completely diconnected. Drittal's New Yorker was the Bismark of luxury cars. Likely more stout than a lot of 2500's of today. I'm only old enough to read about the glory days (and rebuild one or two as I can) I will have never lived them like some of you folks.
My new yorker was built the same month and year I was born. $1250 and a bucket full of smiles.

I drove it as a daily driver for a few years then pulled the motor and Trans when I stumbled across my 68 barracuda roller. Took 15 months to make this...
Old 12-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Took 15 months to make this...
This puts a lump in my throat. Beeeeautiful! Looks like a lot of heart went into that.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
This puts a lump in my throat. Beeeeautiful! Looks like a lot of heart went into that.
Thank you. I learned a lot in the process. Did everything but apply paint and upholstery.

Try telling people you are painting your classic mopar plum crazy purple from the body line down, Opal gray metallic above that, with a sublime green stripe between them... you swear I farted in their face by the look on it.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Look closely and you can see the 'tongue dolly' used to support the tongue weight

On a side note concerning those older cars. Back in the day, convertibles were built on a different frame than the sedans - it was much stouter. Probably better for towing larger TTs.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Yup. Look at the bushes. The image has been obviously tilted.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #14

My toy.

This car has a unit body with front and rear sub frames, the rocker panels being the load bearing members that connect the two. Not the most rigid system but it has survived 50 years.

Wilber1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing