Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
It might, but I don't think so.
Im fudged... got the inside remodeled and CANNOT figure this out.. pulled one of the marker lights, greased it and it quit working.... I dont get this camper.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #16

You need to test the trailer and truck separately.
I use a 7way connector truck end with bare wires sticking out of it to test the trailer. Since your 12V charge line goes to the battery, it should have power. So if you plug the trailer into your tester, you can touch 12V charge (black) to running lights (green), right turn (brown), left turn(red), reverse (yellow), and brakes(blue).
Then I use a trailer end 7way to plug into the truck, with bare wires sticking out the end, and use a test light from ground to all the other functions.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #17

Quote:
You need to test the trailer and truck separately.
I use a 7way connector truck end with bare wires sticking out of it to test the trailer. Since your 12V charge line goes to the battery, it should have power. So if you plug the trailer into your tester, you can touch 12V charge (black) to running lights (green), right turn (brown), left turn(red), reverse (yellow), and brakes(blue).
Then I use a trailer end 7way to plug into the truck, with bare wires sticking out the end, and use a test light from ground to all the other functions.
I hooked my truck to a friends camper and everything was nice and bright so im leaning more on my camper than the truck
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford has had an issue on the 1999 to 2002 Super Duties with the wiring harness connectors under the bed. I finally got around it by not using the Ford connector plugs, cutting them off and wiring my 7 pin plug directly to the wiring back under the bed. The Ford connectors are POS.

Ken
Old 08-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Ford has had an issue on the 1999 to 2002 Super Duties with the wiring harness connectors under the bed. I finally got around it by not using the Ford connector plugs, cutting them off and wiring my 7 pin plug directly to the wiring back under the bed. The Ford connectors are POS.

Ken
I got a ford connector and everything works on another camper but not mine
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
If your house battery is bad... and somewhere at sometime someone tied the house battery circuit into the trailer wiring harness to keep it charged... you could have a problem there. If it is done correctly the battery circuit would be independent as wired in the plug.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
If your house battery is bad... and somewhere at sometime someone tied the house battery circuit into the trailer wiring harness to keep it charged... you could have a problem there. If it is done correctly the battery circuit would be independent as wired in the plug.
All ive noticed on the battery is a bunch of wires running to it. I havent really messed with it much. Just for trial purposes could i put a standard car battery in there just to check? At the prices of deep cycle batteries I wanna make sure I need one as I never rely on just the house battery
Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #22

Yes, you can use a plain 12V battery for testing purposes.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Cool ill give it a shot. If that doesnt do it im lost
Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Well that didn't work....
Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #25

I think you need to start over.
What didn't work?
What are all the wires on the battery to?
What exactly is it doing?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #26

Quote:
I think you need to start over.
What didn't work?
What are all the wires on the battery to?
What exactly is it doing?
The wires goin to the battery would be the lights inside and heater id guess. My lights are all dim. Hit the blinker and everything flashes. Hit the brakes and everything shuts off. Let off the brake and they all come back on. Ive cleaned my grounds. My only other guess the cord that plugs into the underbelly and into my truck is bad. The ground and a couple other wires got cut. Ive spliced them back together. Not sure if maybe ots still not gettin good enough connection.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #27

There shouldn't be all those wires to the battery; that needs to be sorted. Should be just a few; one to truck charge, one to converter and fuse panel, and then one to some circuit breakers for slides and front jacks, but basically it.
What lights are all dim? Inside house or trailer running lights?
With the blinker, what lights flash; house or trailer lights?
Same with brakes; what is everything that shuts off?
I would get to the junction box where the trailer cord runs to on the trailer. Somwhere at the end of the cord, the wires run into a jbox where all the trailer light wires run to, and it's all tied together. Usually right around the pin box area.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #28

Quote:
There shouldn't be all those wires to the battery; that needs to be sorted. Should be just a few; one to truck charge, one to converter and fuse panel, and then one to some circuit breakers for slides and front jacks, but basically it.
What lights are all dim? Inside house or trailer running lights?
With the blinker, what lights flash; house or trailer lights?
Same with brakes; what is everything that shuts off?
I would get to the junction box where the trailer cord runs to on the trailer. Somwhere at the end of the cord, the wires run into a jbox where all the trailer light wires run to, and it's all tied together. Usually right around the pin box area.
Just exterior lights are affected. If torn the front of the camper off looking for the j box.... the only thing there is is the wires from my plug up into the underbelly and to the lights.