Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #1

Rookie 5'ver needs advice on 5th wheel hitches.

Had posted this elsewhere then realized it probably belonged in here.

I'm looking for the a hitch that is the one of the best/or the best and that is the easiest to use. Plus the spotter is my wife who knows-- well a lot less than me. So I don't mind paying a little more as I'm going to be a rookie at trailering a fifth wheel and need all the help we can get. Maybe even one that is a bit forgiving if that makes sense.
Does it matter if it's rated a lot more than your trailer or will that cause issues?
Plus, where can you practice-- parking, trailering, hitching, unhitching etc?
Finally, I was watching you tube vids on how to hook up a fifth wheel and saw this.
What is this on top of the pin box?
Looks like a level of some kind? I assume it's some kind of aid. What is it called? Speaking of that, are there any other helpful tools to aid in a successful hitch. Thanks-- I'm sure I will be back with many --what appear like-- silly questions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 02:16 AM   #2

Need some more info... What truck and 5er do you have? Pulled a 5er for over 7 years with a slider hitch on a short bed mega cab. Loved it! Depending on your truck and RV you may not need a slider but I found it really helpful to get in tight sites.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

Any B&W hitch, all US Made high quality and SIMPLE to hitch.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

Rookie 5'ver needs advice on 5th wheel hitches.

TV going to be a Dodge Ram 3500 DW. I've heard the term slider? What's the difference between that and a regular 5th wheel hitch? If easier and safer, I'm all for it.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
TV going to be a Dodge Ram 3500 DW. I've heard the term slider? What's the difference between that and a regular 5th wheel hitch? If easier and safer, I'm all for it.
A slider hitch is for tow vehicles that have a bed less tan 8' long. If you have a shorty pickup, then you might need a slider hitch.

A slider will slide the kingpin farther from the cab, so you can back into a jackknife turn without cab to trailer contact. You slide the hitch only when parking the 5er with the transmission in reverse gear. When towing the trailer down the road, the hitch is slid all the way forward so the weight of the kingpin is on the rear axle of the truck. Your truck won't turn sharp enough to have cab to trailer contact when going forward, but put that puppy in reverse and you can go into a jackknife in an instant before you hear the CRUNCH! of the front corner of the trailer taking out the back window of your truck.

Quote:
What is that on top of the pinbox?
Yeah, it's a spirit level. When the trailer is parked, you want it level side to side (as well as front to rear). Your refrigerator needs to be level for it to cool efficiently.

If you park the trailer on other than a level pad, you can see that spirit level from the driver's seat and tell if you need to back up or pull up or move over a bit to get the trailer level side to side. You may need to add leveling blocks under the tires on one side of the trailer to get it level.

I always carry a 4' carpenter's level in the trailer. After I get the trailer about where I want it, I check the level side to side - with the carpenter's level on the floor of the trailer. If it's not level side to side, I add leveling blocks under the tires on the low side until I get it level. Then unhook from the truck, and use the landing gear to get the trailer level front to rear.

I don't use a spirit level on the front of the trailer because I have to have the carpenter's level to get it level side to side anyway, so I use the carpenter's level for both side to side and front to rear.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #6

I wanted the best hitch I could get that wasn't an air hitch. I bought a B&W Turnover ball hitch, and the 5th wheel companion slider hitch from B&W. Rated @20k, trailer is 14k MAX.

Reasons I chose this hitch:
I can also tow goose-neck trailers.
Hitch head comes off the slider
Tightens to the gooseneck with 1 massive bolt and spreads out the weight through the bed
Slider is VERY simple to use.
When the hitch comes out the bed is totally flat,
It's over built with 1 inch jaws.
It's made in america
Dealer I bought my trailer from gave me a crazy deal for it (that was cheaper than I could get it anywhere else).

I installed it myself, it's more involved than installing bed rails.

I will probably end up with an air bagged pinbox as well at some point.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
I wanted the best hitch I could get that wasn't an air hitch. I bought a B&W Turnover ball hitch, and the 5th wheel companion slider hitch from B&W. Rated @20k, trailer is 14k MAX.

Reasons I chose this hitch:

I can also tow goose-neck trailers.

Hitch head comes off the slider

Tightens to the gooseneck with 1 massive bolt and spreads out the weight through the bed

Slider is VERY simple to use.

When the hitch comes out the bed is totally flat,

It's over built with 1 inch jaws.

It's made in america

Dealer I bought my trailer from gave me a crazy deal for it (that was cheaper than I could get it anywhere else).

I installed it myself, it's more involved than installing bed rails.

I will probably end up with an air bagged pinbox as well at some point.

Did you choose the slider hitch because of a short bed?
Old 06-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #8

By far the best auto sliding hitch made, Demco Highjacker 18k autoslide, made in the U.S.A.

Tags
5th wheel, advice