Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Started with a TT behind a '69 Camaro, now up to a 41' MH, a dolly and Honda van. Doesn't bother me a bit.
Oops, it was a '67 Camaro!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Rookie question - isn't towing stressful?
Not with the right equipment (i.e., a truck rated for the job, a good brake controller, a good hitch setup, etc.) and a little experience and common sense.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #31

I will mention that if I get behind a semi in the right lane that is doing 62 - 63 I will sometimes stay there for a long time.

Also just curious, you never towed. The kinda implies you never camped much in any kind of trailer. And now are thinking of going full time...it probably is fair to say the most of the people on this forum have started smaller and moved up or down to their current rig. Just make sure both if you want to do this and not one trying to convince the other to this. My wife and I took smaller steps...like camping in our trailer for 1 week, then 2, etc. We both really liked it. Neither of us complained about anything. Not sure how you go from where you are to towing a huge 5er. I have been towing boats since 1980 so I know the basics. Then small bumper pull trailers, now a 5er.

The basics - because you are longer you need more room to merge. If a squirrel runs out in front of you do not swerve. Never be in a hurry, take your time. Because you are heavy it takes longer to accelerate and longer to stop.

I have been in Class 'A' diesel and gas MH's and all the ones I have been in seem to rattle, shimmy, shake and roll down the highway. I guess you can get used to it. A dually towing a 5er is rock solid going down the highway.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #32

Hi.

I've towed everything from boats to small trailers, a few 5th wheels and the last 5th was an Everest 344j that measured just under 38ft. Towed it with an 08 1 ton dually and I was stressed most of the time, on a nice section of highway it was good, but I was 54 feet long . The truck stopped great by itself but add 13000 lbs on back and it didn't. Had the best prodigy brake controller had the trailer brakes redone too, under normal controlled stops it was fine. Having to slow down fast wasn't so good, and I'm sure if it was a panic stop right now kind of stop it would have sucked.
I Switched to a 40 ft DP and like the driving part a lot better. And with Air Brakes it stops fast., the brakes on a big DP are meant to stop something heavy, The brakes on my Dually were meant to stop up to the GVWR of 12.200 lbs and not 22000lbs,which the truck and 5er weighed. I have never had a heavy trailer that would lock up the tires going over 30 mph except on loose gravel.and that's setting the brake controller as high as it would go.I think RV manufactures who build towables cheap out with the bare minimum where brakes are concerned,
I still tow a Dodge Dakota behind my MH but its the first time ever that I don't know it's back there but I'm towing less than 5000 lbs with 30000 lbs. I have towed it with the brake buddy in place and without it and it stops great.
If I was going to be in 1 place months at a time I would go the 5th wheel route for sure,I like the room and the floors plans better, living rooms at the back make sense to me and kitchens by the door are great, running in and out of the RV is usually to the kitchen area and that usually has tiles or Lino.so leaving shoes on is fine. And going in and out a lot is easier in a 5th wheel, not so many steps, I'm surprised so many seniors have big tall MHs and getting in and out has got to be a pain if you have problems with stairs, its a long way up or down if you fall. But I do like driving the MH more and the ease of setup is great, if its cold or rainy you don't even have to go outside if you don't want to.
5th wheels and MHs Both have great advantages in some areas over the other, it's All Your preference at this time in your life.
Have Fun with your RV what ever kind it is.

Dale M
Old 12-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dale, the problem was the brake controller. I have never cared for the inertial type controllers. Also, if the trailer brakes are set correctly, they are what stops the trailer, not the truck.

Ken
Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Dale, the problem was the brake controller. I have never cared for the inertial type controllers. Also, if the trailer brakes are set correctly, they are what stops the trailer, not the truck.

Ken
Believe me you do not want the trailer brakes to lock at high speed. I ruined a new set of tires on a lighter 5th that way with a small truck and agrasive setting while stoping fast. The trailer tires locked and a cloud of smoke developped and the truck was the only brakes I had left. The trailer slide like on ice. And you need to drive accordingly.
I have a loaded SRW truck and its great performer.
And I would not want to be in the driver seat with all the stuff that could be projectiled like I see moved in our 5th wheel. For this reason its much faster to prepare a trailer for travel.
And specialy if DW was preparing a meal or on the toilet.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #35

Excel Owners Club
If you enjoy driving, you will enjoy towing, once you become accustomed to your lash-up.

If driving causes you stress, towing will drive you NUTS!

I've towed trailers through the all the lower 48 states and 5 Canadian provinces.

I live in an urban area. The first and last 20 minutes of every tow is a stress "adventure". Urban drivers have no regard for you. Get used to it.

I prefer state highways over Interstates, but sometimes the Interstate is the best or only choice.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
For this reason its much faster to prepare a trailer for travel.
And specialy if DW was preparing a meal or on the toilet.
Thanks for the chuckle Caissiel, only had the better half once ask to ride in the trailer. Tried to explain the legality of it but I couldn't win the argument, so her and her mom went to "talk" in the trailer. We were on a gravel road seems like in no time they were waving at me to stop. But I couln,t see them for the dust or the fact I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. They never tried the chat session again I guess there's just to much more to see with all the extra windows.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #37

I have never considered driving stressful, expect maybe when I was towing or hauling overloaded. In those cases yes it is. But generally with a properly matched load I actually enjoy driving. But if that is not you then hailing a large trailer behind your TV no matter how big it is you will probably not enjoy the experience. And in that case I would advise against any such purchase.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #38

You get used to it.

Better not drive an A. You may never go back
Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #39

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Its hard to control whats going on behind you, but you should stay aware of whats back there. If they are tailgating you know to signal early tap you brake to "try" to alert them that your slowing, stopping or turning. if it looks like they arn not paying attention then your choice is keeping going don't turn or stop or do anything suddenly. You cant make their decisions but you can make yours. Space = visibility = time for decisions.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Its hard to control whats going on behind you, but you should stay aware of whats back there. If they are tailgating you know to signal early tap you brake to "try" to alert them that your slowing, stopping or turning. if it looks like they arn not paying attention then your choice is keeping going don't turn or stop or do anything suddenly. You cant make their decisions but you can make yours. Space = visibility = time for decisions.
If they aren't paying attention then they,ll learn to. The only thing behind me I pay attention to is cops,ambulances, service vehicles. Oh and my backseat driver . If they run into my 34 foot crumple zone, they,re at fault.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #41

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't worry what's behind you. Concentrate on whats in front/ out front (long look) and along side.

Drive how you feel comfortable.
Our MH runs nicely at 63-65.
70 is comfortable for me, but mpg drops significantly.

Keith

Keitha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing