Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup View Post
Call me paranoid but after a couple hundred miles of towing its obvious my rig is going to spend most of its time in 5th gear instead of 6th. I guess nearly every one towing is in the same boat so just looking for anecdotal info as to what to expect the impact on vehicle life, maintence etc to be.
'016 Chevy 3500 van 6.0 6L90 3.42 towing just under 6k gross trailer weight.
While we are at it, anyone know the cost of regearing to 3.91 etc?
I run in tow/haul in the mountains, but out on the plains I use standard mode. I will occasionally lock out 6th gear myself if running through some hills, but I rarely have to do that. In the mountains I will even manually lock out 6th, and sometimes even 5th, running in 4th or lower. Towing 5500 lb max with 2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost and 3.55 gears.

Had a long downhill run from Cameron Pass down the Poudre River coming home yesterday (Northern Colorado). Locked out 5th and 6th and used 4th, 3rd and even 2nd to help save the brakes. Tranny shifted when it was supposed to in tow/haul. That's 58 miles, almost all downhill on a twisty, winding road. Whenever I had to use the brakes, the tranny would down shift at least one gear, sometimes down 2 in quick succession. Engine never went over 4500 rpm and it went a long way to minimizing brake usage.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #44

Remember 5th is a direct drive usually in a 6 speed transmission. So that is the "gear" that will last the longest and run the transmission the coolest. There is no torque multiplication in play in 1:1 - its straight in, straight out - the transmission isnt doing anything. So it runs the coolest and the longest in that gear - most vehicles will drop to 1:1 (be it 3rd in a 4 speed, 4th in a 5 speed, 5th in a 6 speed, etc) when put in tow haul - as its the easiest on the transmission.

With that kind of trailer I WOULD use tow haul, which most likely WILL lock out OD and leave you in 5....which is what you want anyway? Why fight it?
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Remember 5th is a direct drive usually in a 6 speed transmission. So that is the "gear" that will last the longest and run the transmission the coolest. There is no torque multiplication in play in 1:1 - its straight in, straight out - the transmission isnt doing anything. So it runs the coolest and the longest in that gear - most vehicles will drop to 1:1 (be it 3rd in a 4 speed, 4th in a 5 speed, 5th in a 6 speed, etc) when put in tow haul - as its the easiest on the transmission.

With that kind of trailer I WOULD use tow haul, which most likely WILL lock out OD and leave you in 5....which is what you want anyway? Why fight it?
On the newer Ford 6 speed 4 th gear is 1 to 1. Don't know when the change was made but probably in the switch from 5 to 6 speed. Last two gears are overdrive for mileage.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post

Not that way for his Chevrolet; 5 and 6 are both overdrive gears.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:48 AM   #47

Since it seems people aren't reading the whole thread, the question is basically is it ok to tow long term in 5th or should I regear. If you have long term towing experience in 5th with a 6L80/90 good or bad let's hear about it.
crossup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup View Post
Since it seems people aren't reading the whole thread, the question is basically is it ok to tow long term in 5th or should I regear. If you have long term towing experience in 5th with a 6L80/90 good or bad let's hear about it.
It is better for a transmission to do less of the gearing increase or decrease and let the rear end take care of the needed gearing. That said, 5th should be actually better than 6th as it is closer to 1:1. I don't have long term experience because my 6 speed diesel doesn't need to run lower gears. My son has an F250 with the 5.4 engine and he has towed cross country with using 3rd gear much of the time.

Back in post #26, I showed the gear ratios, and the 1:1 figure is still being used in recent posts.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote