Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #1

I just purchase a new 2005 F250 shotbox and pulling a 92 Prowler 5th wheel. With my old 2001 F150 shortbox I had ample room to turn without worry of hit the cab with my conventional pin box. With the new truck the hitch installation requrements force the center to be 4in in front of the axles, and this is causing me to have very limited turn ratio, and even with my slider still not comfortable with the radius, Maybe I was just spoiled with the other truck, but was looking at the RV5 pin extender and was wondering if anyone has used it. Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #2

I just purchase a new 2005 F250 shotbox and pulling a 92 Prowler 5th wheel. With my old 2001 F150 shortbox I had ample room to turn without worry of hit the cab with my conventional pin box. With the new truck the hitch installation requrements force the center to be 4in in front of the axles, and this is causing me to have very limited turn ratio, and even with my slider still not comfortable with the radius, Maybe I was just spoiled with the other truck, but was looking at the RV5 pin extender and was wondering if anyone has used it. Thanks in advance

Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #3

Bearmin
I see no replys, but I have the same problem. From a F250 short with slider, to 06 F250 long bed. RBW hitch in the 06. With my way of measuring, the bumper would be approx 2" from the trailer. Too close for comfort. I always used my slider when hooking, or unhooking, w/tailgate down.
To answer your question!!!!!!!!!! I just ordered the RV5 yesterday. 10" will allow the tailgate to be down again. I have checked for safety, and all reports seem to be good.
As you were asking. Maybe someone on the board here knows something.
I'll see in a week.
Billy M

Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Just a suggestion - you might generate more responses if you provide a link to the device in question so that we know what you're asking about.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:32 AM   #5

http://www.popuphitch.com/rv5.htm

Guess I'm not real good at posting links. Is there instructions for that?? I will go there!!
Rusty--- Good idea Thanks

Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Oh, OK. I see what it is now.

Be aware that this device functions just like a lever or (in this case) a cheater pipe. It offsets the pin weight (let's say 2000 lbs) of the 5th wheel by 10 inches - that produces an additional moment (torque) of 2000 lbs x (10/12) ft = 1667 lb-ft that's being applied to the pinbox and frame of the 5th wheel. (How significant is that? Compare it to the torque output of your truck's engine! ) That force will be even higher on bumps, etc. Perhaps your 5th wheel pinbox and/or frame has enough safety margin to handle it - perhaps it doesn't. Time will tell.

Our previous 5th wheel had a vertical (non-offset) Leland Engineering pin box. Because of the weight of the RV, the RV manufacturer did not offer, and would not approve the use of, the standard Leland offset pin box, so this torque loading is a real issue. It might be worth talking to your RV manufacturer's tech support group about using this device.

JM2CW

Rusty
Old 08-19-2005, 08:33 AM   #7

Rusty

So is there a formula for figuring like the length to weight ratio?? Just curious.
I could have kept my slider, but wanted the lighter hitch. Bought the long bed because of the slider. Come to find out the BUMPER barely clears the trailer by 1.5 ". That's too close.
So my dry pin weight =approx 1100lbs X 10/12 =2013???????????????
Thanks Billy M

Old 08-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #8

Rusty!

"We've had the RV5 evaluated by engineers and they have approved it. Also the chief engineer at WeekEnd Warrior trailers evaluated it and approved it for use on their trailers. They ordered ten of the RV5s right after that."
This is the response from Manufacturer, I have heard no complaints.
I guess we will see!!
Thanks again!
Billy M

Old 08-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy M:
"We've had the RV5 evaluated by engineers and they have approved it. Also the chief engineer at WeekEnd Warrior trailers evaluated it and approved it for use on their trailers. They ordered ten of the RV5s right after that."
This is the response from Manufacturer.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I wouldn't have expected anything else from the manufacturer of the device. As I said, if it were me, I'd worry more about the approval (preferably in writing) of my trailer manufacturer as he is the one providing the structural warranty. Caveat emptor!

Good luck.

Rusty
Old 08-21-2005, 06:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boy, I'd like to meet the engineers that evaluated that pin extender and have them try and explain the forces placed on the pin box. In my honest opinion, I would not be able to title than as "engineers".

This is one device to steer clear of, except on some smaller 5ers.

Ken
Old 08-26-2005, 07:02 PM   #11

I ordered my RV5 yesterday as well, after I talked with Fleetwood. My 5ver weight in at 8000lbs soaking wet, and the rep at Fleetwood pulled the spec sheet and indicated that it could handle up to a 13 1/2" extension. Because of age I had a tough time finding a 11 7/8" wide extension so the RV5 was my only choice. Folks looking to by the new 05 or 06 F250 with a Shortbox should be aware that Reese and Drawtight have changed the location of the rails due to structure changes to the Truck. Thanks for all the feedback, and it's because of these forum that I moved up to the F250 from the F150. THe old truck pulled the trailer fine, and I took it out to the scales fully loaded and fueled before I bought it, but the Diesel is the only way to go.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You guys should be looking at a Pullrite Superglide Autoglide 5vr hitch. This takes care of all of those problems and you don't even have to get out of the truck to set the slider in the first place.
PullRite
Old 08-29-2005, 04:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SuperGewl:
You guys should be looking at a Pullrite Superglide Autoglide 5vr hitch.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>....or a long bed truck!

Rusty
Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #14

The PullRite has the same problems as the Reese slider only difference is you get out of the truck. I bought the RV5 from PopUPhitch and will have a trailer shop install a gusset plate to move the center of gravity from the existing Pin Box to a more center position, that is if the frame is not beefy enough to handle the 10 inche extension. Everyone I have talked to says there is nothing to worry about with the frame as it is unless I plan to take out in the middle of a pasture, or travel on dirt roads. The Fleetwood Rep had a chuckle when I told him my concerns since my 5th wheel is only 8000#s, and said you been reading too many RV Forums where a person here's about frame damage but doesn't have the all the information. Fleetwood indicated that No Conversion to an Extended Pin from conventional was recommended for trailer over 12000lbs.