Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Safety Hitch + Towing Vehicle Variety?

I heard about the Safety Hitch product and it got me to thinking about alternatives to the traditional truck + 5th wheel combination.

What about an SUV + 5th wheel (using the safety hitch) - are there even SUV's available that would have the towing capacity?

http://zoemorn.blogspot.com - don't you dare
zoemorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on who you ask.. According to the dealer "NO PROBLEM" towing that...

But then Benny Hill filmed a skit where the car owner believed that dealer..

(Suffice to say the car was NOT up to the job)

Since I can get the very same engine in an SUV (Heck a motorcycle) that I have in my Motor home. I would suspect that yes,, There are SUV's that can tow a 5-er with that hitch..

Would I wish to drive one...

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do NOT like the looks of that thing. It just adds way to many possible failure points.
Of course they show the Fords biggest SUV towing it. Many other SUVs could use it.
It is a crutch fix for not using right tool for the job.
I'll give em credit for one thing, they know marketing. "Its all about saftey" !?!?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
I definitely thought it was a crazy looking contraption too, but I've never towed anything but a boat, so wanted other 'sets of eyes' to lend their opinion.
I originally heard about it via this family's blogsite Top 10 Questions We Get About the Safety Hitch

They seemed to really like it, so it got me to thinking. And the testimonials page on the mfg site have some compelling stories as well (of course only positive reviews would be listed). but again, i'm not in the know enough to make a very good determination of if its a worthwhile product.
http://zoemorn.blogspot.com - don't you dare
zoemorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
I would think like posted earlier a Ford Excursion with the diesel would be up to it. That being said, I don't want to do it. Does the thing have some kind of locking mechanism that keeps it straight? I would think if you had to back in it might be interesting.
CoachDJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Never mind. Read the top 10 things and it does lock into place.
CoachDJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Excel Owners Club
I don't like the looks of it either, but I can't think of why it wouldn't be great. Trailer weight ratings for the tow vehicle might be an issue. Mine, for instance, is rated to tow 15,000 lbs with a 5th-wheel hitch, but only 12,000 lbs with receiver hitch. Maybe that rating could increase with this unit's latch up. Not sure. You might give up some towing capacity.

Bill & Deb Karsell
Excel Winslow D28RLW w/ Hydralift and rear camera
2009 Ford F-250 4X4 SRW-SB 6.4L diesel King Ranch Nav & Sync, Pullrite 16K SuperGlide
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote