Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Salespeople

My buddy drive up to the campsite this weekend to hang out. Long story short his TT is 10,000 pounds (he wasn't towing it). He had been pulling it with a loaded F 150 which was a stretch but he drove up in a Tundra platinum. He traded the ford for it and the salesman said "Toyotas blows fords away in towing". I looked at the axle rating on the door, about 3500 per axle. Didn't have the heart to say anything. He'll find out the next time he tows I guess.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

You should have told him, the first drive may be his last.
And that would be a H... of a thing to have to live with.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good point, I'll do it.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Look up the towing data, have it in-hand when you talk to him. I suspect he will be upset after your talk, but a few days later he will realize you have his welfare in mind.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I agree salespeople lie for a living but ultimately it's up to the consumer to educate themselves before getting to the dealership. Trusting the dealer to be straight with you is very 1950's and yet I see it everywhere!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did tell him and show him the specs on the door. My guess is that when he next uses the TT he will at least be very aware of the possibility of an issue.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I take offense to Taken saying that all salespeople lie for a living. What did you do for a living? Does all of your occupation lie for a living? I might not sell as many vehicles as the ones who lie, but I sleep good at night.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
I take offense to Taken saying that all salespeople lie for a living. What did you do for a living? Does all of your occupation lie for a living? I might not sell as many vehicles as the ones who lie, but I sleep good at night.
But, then again, you could be lying right now.... LOL Take it easy man. You're in a profession like lawyers. The stereotype wouldn't exist if the above mentioned behavior wasn't rampant.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
taken,

I'd suggest you step back a little...lack of ethics is rampant in many walks of life, but those that work hard and achieve on the basis of their honest sweat deserve a little respect. In this case, the salesman who sold the truck may have little understanding of the issues with RV and TTs.

I'm no salesman, I'm a meteorologist...another maligned profession that's not allowed to have a chip on their shoulder. Just sayin' IMHO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like his truck is able to tow around 10,000+ depending on the truck. 2011 Tundra Tow Ratings Decrease | Tundra Headquarters Blog
His truck will be at max capacity!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was selling industrial refrigeration systems for close to 30 years and I always took an honest approach to my sales. You do not have to remember which lie you to told to which customer.

The lack of morals with many of my competitors was pretty bad. As noted it is not just RV sales, but across many industries, the sales methods seem to be tell lies and bad mouth competition.

Ken
Old 05-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #12

TX, I so much agree with you. From the time I was a very little kid my grandfather told me "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you said." I'm 37 now with a family of my own and I tell them like my grandparents and parents told me. My grandparents started a repair business in the 40's, my parents started in the 70's inventing and designing various products for marine and other industries, and I currently own a trucking company.....all were/are successful because of honesty. And I sleep well at night too!
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I worked in RV sales for a brief time. The first thing I asked a customer (ponce they told me what they were looking for) was, What are you going to tow it with? Second was, Will it safely tow the trailer they wanted. If there was any question, I took them over to the computer and pulled up the towing guides on Trailerlife.com. I showed them how to use the guide and what the trailer weights were. I felt if I did the math for them and then they did end up having an issue involving weights that would then put me, and the dealership, in the path of liability. After a few weeks the sales manager expressed his unhappiness over what I was doing (showing them how to figure out if the would be safe). I left the next day.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #14

My father also sold Ford vehicles in the 70's. Had a customer come in and wanted to purchase an F150 that was on the lot as they were ordering a cab-over camper and taking the family on vacation to Alaska. Dad said he would not sell it to them, as it wouldn't handle the camper. After listening to my father, they agreed and had Dad order a F250 Camper Special built to handle their needs, and the trip was a success. If he had no morals, or was dishonest, he'd have sold the F150 and cared less. I'm glad I was brought up right, but it seems like I'm in the minority. Most kids have no morals or respect these days, but then their parents don't either. I'd rather make my living honest.

Trent

Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote