Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #15

This is what I had to buy for the trucking company I work for, Enforcer, that being said it is still in the box and it is now company policy that we are not allowed to drop a loaded trailer anywhere other than one of our own lots and depending on the type of load only in some of our secured lots! I have a second one and when I return to the main terminal I plan to see if I can buy a key for it, most times we can only order a key for a lock code that was issued to us.
My main concern with your plan would be leaving a trailer in a truck stop lot, I have seen a few damaged trucks and trailer done by trucks trying to park and most will not say anything if no one catches them in the act.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:13 AM   #16
Commercial Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue74:
My main concern with your plan would be leaving a trailer in a truck stop lot, I have seen a few damaged trucks and trailer done by trucks trying to park and most will not say anything if no one catches them in the act. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I really have no choice and need to leave my vehicle parked somewhere for a week at a time. For instance, I just did a Seattle/California/Phoenix tour based from my office in Maryland. Since these 8 westcoast cities are done on successive weekends (Saturdays), rather than spend 8 weeks away from my family, I fly out from MD to the west coast each Friday, do my gig on Saturday, pre-drive to the next city on Sunday morning, park my Sprinter in a secured airport lot then fly back to Maryland each Sunday evening. Then the following Friday I get up at 3 AM and catch a 6 AM flight back to the west coast. This leaves my vehicle parked in a secured lot each Sunday thru Friday, but it's the only way this gig works since I teach sound-system operation to church volunteers and Saturday's the only time they're available to take the class.

With a toyhauler I could park the trailer in the church lot on Friday and Saturday nights with a shore power connection and sleep over in the LQ, rather than driving back and forth to a hotel I only sleep in for 8 hours. Then I would drive Sunday morning to the next city, dropping the trailer off at a truck parking lot near the airport, and driving the pull vehicle to the airport parking lot. Having a trailer with an LQ would save me the cost of the 100 big-city hotel rooms I stayed in last year. Figure $10K a year, not even counting restaurant meals and such.

So the question remains, where can I park a 34' toyhauler trailer on a Sunday morning near major airports where it can be secured and safe from damage? There's always some sort of secured private truck terminal near airports, but I need to locate that info and work out a parking deal in advance across multiple states. There's always a Pilot or TA truck stop near an airport, but those typically aren't secured lots. RV lots are going to be located too far from the Airports, plus they're not setup to take trailer delivery and pickup in the middle of the night or early Sunday morning. I see campers all the time in Wal-Mart lots, but that's the least secure situation of all, and I'm sure Wal-Mart would look on this unfavorably, with perhaps ticketing and adding their own wheel boot.

What's a mother to do? Any other secured parking options you can suggest?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #17

It sounds like you have one heck of a travel job! I did a lot of travel myself when I worked for a living, but I never had to transport more than myself, a suitcase full of clothes, and my briefcase whenever I left home.

There were times, however, when some of us bantered around the idea of having an RV to stay on the road to save a buck or two, and to get out of those dreaded hotels and to stay away from all that deadly restaurant food! But we never got much farther, and it always ended up as nothing more than talk.

However, having worked for a major international corporation, and being involved with security and investigative matters (among other duties) I very much appreciate your concerns for security. I know I'd be extremely sensitive to such matters as you obviously are.

Unfortunately, from what you described -- buying a Toyhauler and leaving it unattended for a rather lengthy time (and I suppose in more-or-less major metropolitan areas) I'm honestly not sure there are any security devices that would give you the assurance that you'd be able to return to your toyhauler and find it in the same condition as you left it!

I'd not only be thinking of theft, but of vandalism, accidents (an elderly man or lady hitting the side of your trailer, for example, when they were parking in the lot), and weather issues, such as floods, tornados, severe frost or hail storms, etc., etc.

Also, while you did not idicate whether you return to the same locations multiple times, which might make it easier to seek out the better places to keep your trailer, I have the impression that you'll be going to new places week after week. If so, you'd have more trouble really knowing where the better places would be to keep the trailer and your valuable gear. No?

If I were your insurance guy, based on what you've described to us here, I think I'd want to make sure your annual premium would be at least equal to the total value of all the assets you're planning leave unattended in this manner (or maybe an even higher premium) because IMO you're going to sustain some rather substantial losses (not to mention the headaches involved).

John
Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
Commercial Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MT flyfisher: I'd not only be thinking of theft, but of vandalism, accidents (an elderly man or lady hitting the side of your trailer, for example, when they were parking in the lot), and weather issues, such as floods, tornados, severe frost or hail storms, etc., etc.

Also, while you did not idicate whether you return to the same locations multiple times, which might make it easier to seek out the better places to keep your trailer, I have the impression that you'll be going to new places week after week. If so, you'd have more trouble really knowing where the better places would be to keep the trailer and your valuable gear. No?

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I've done this workshop sequence something like 500 times already over the last 8 years, and the only time there were any problems was in Canada, from a "secured" parking lot outside my hotel room. Since then I've been very careful with vehicle security as well as a better judge of parking lots.

I'm not worried about a few bangs and scratches on my transport vehicle and trailer. They only add to the ambience and makes it look unimportant. As long as I lock this thing down with multiple security systems it should slow down the lazy crooks enough so they'll pick another target. I consider my first ring of security is to be a low profile. That's why I worry a bit about obvious security systems such as wheel locks and such that are visible from the street. They all scream there's something worth stealing inside. Plus, an onboard GPS security system with a way to transmit pictures to my cell phone would give me some peace of mind. If only I had a "not my problem generator" from Hitchhiker's Guide. Then I would be set.

As far as floods and hurricanes and such, that's the chance I take. But while I'm in a different city each week, I do get to pick which area of the country to visit each time of year. And yes, my insurance is pretty expensive. More to consider.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #19

Soundguy,
A kingpin lock (such as my homemade one) can be painted flat black or grey and blend-in with the kingpin and not stand out to passers-by. Same goes for the wheel locks, just paint to match the surrounding tires or wheels.

I strongly recommend that you keep an inventory of all the contents including all serial numbers and photographs of each item. Also keep the VIN and license information of the trailer. Important to know for each item is: make, model and serial number. This can be kept digitally on a thumb drive you keep with you (away from the trailer). Stolen sound gear often goes to pawn shops and a serial number is the only way to prove it is yours. Also, ONLY stolen items with known serial numbers can be entered into the NCIC (national crime information center) database of stolen items. Law enforcement officers nationwide check articles they come across against this database for stolen. It is the same database that tells them nationwide if a vehicle is stolen. I have recovered stolen items that were stolen several years before by running the item's serial number with NCIC. When an item is recovered, it is removed from the database by the police department.

Do what you can with good locks. It will slow them down, or make them move on to easier pickings. Making the outside of the trailer look plain is a very good idea. Dont let the decals or graphics on the trailer advertise the contents or that the thief has hit the motherload.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #20

SoundGuy

Now that you explained it more, good luck. Most of the chain truck stops will let you drop a trailer at most of their lots but I think I would make it my last choice. Finding them would be easy as searching their web site or grabbing one of their free magazines they put out monthly.

The thought that comes to mind would be regular storage lots with key pad access but finding one close to where you need to be and working out a deal for a weeks use may not be something they will do.

A question when you say toy hauler trailer would it be a regular retail version like anyone can buy or one of the Custom Toy Hauler ones I see that small race teams use? If it is the later then it would be easier to make it more secure and non-descript.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 AM   #21
Commercial Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue74:
A question when you say toy hauler trailer would it be a regular retail version like anyone can buy or one of the Custom Toy Hauler ones I see that small race teams use? If it is the later then it would be easier to make it more secure and non-descript. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes to the latter. This would be a custom toy-hauler built on a cargo trailer frame. Here's another one from the same company you mention TOY but I don't need a 48 ft trailer, perhaps 34' to 36' would do fine. This style of toyhauler doesn't have a door between the LQ area and the garage, and the rear door has serious locking bars which can use the biggest padlocks you can get. Of course, anyone that REALLY wanted to break into one of these could do it, but it would take some time and be pretty visible. That's why I'm thinking about a combination of systems such as a kingpin lock, hydraulic jack interlock, wireless security system with a GPS tracking system and central alarm monitoring system with callback to my cellphone. And of course, there will be no signs or logos on a very plain looking white trailer. I don't need the road bling or the attention it brings.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #22

All these suggestions are worthwhile!! In additition to many of them I will also be acquiring my own wheel boot called The ClubŪ Tire Claw XL Anti Theft Device at a very affordable at $99 + S&H from Rittenhouse.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SoundGuy:
And of course, there will be no signs or logos on a very plain looking white trailer. I don't need the road bling or the attention it brings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to come up with bogus company name and logo that would make some one uninspired to breaking in. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Paul
Old 01-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
Commercial Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue74: You might want to come up with bogus company name and logo that would make some one uninspired to breaking in.
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen a few audio recording trucks with "dirty diaper service" signage which gets a laugh from my production crew. I've joked about putting biohazard signs on my own trucks, but think that would attract WAAAAAAAAY too much attention when parked. I would probably be impounded by Homeland Security with a sign like that, so there's obviously a fine line which must be walked.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Southwest Wheel:
I would suggest getting a king pin lock and wheel locks for each wheel or at least two, one for each opposing side. Then spray paint them a bright color, so people know that they are there. Make sure you get locking nuts for the wheels. This way if they do break the locks off and opposing wheels they will be handicap and noticable. But as Rusty said locks keep honest guys honest, but a bunch of locks in the right places, keeps a lazy theif lazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I vote for the kingpin lock as well. Ours is on almost 100% of the time. There are no guarantees, but that will definitely slow them up. Looks good to the insurance co too.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #26

If you do the wheel locks, make sure you have a locking nut or they will just take the wheel off and replace it with another one.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #27

DOT might stop you looking for placards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SoundGuy:
I've seen a few audio recording trucks with "dirty diaper service" signage which gets a laugh from my production crew. I've joked about putting biohazard signs on my own trucks, but think that would attract WAAAAAAAAY too much attention when parked. I would probably be impounded by Homeland Security with a sign like that, so there's obviously a fine line which must be walked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>