Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In answer to the OP...boys like BIG toys. At least I do.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
That has nothing to do with the truck "towing anything over 4500kg"

my last trailer was just under that weight ,so all I has was a Z endorsement (air brake)
That must be a very small 5th wheel
A 34 ft Montana has a dry weight in excess of 12,000# and a cargo carrying weight over 4000# so somewhere north of 16,000# loaded.
Definitely requires a restricted Class A in the province of Ontario. If your truck then weighs over 10,000# in addition to the trailer you're now looking at a full Class A because the total weight going now the highway is now in excess of 26,000#
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #17

Semi tractors to pull a 5th wheel

Ontario requires a Restricted Class A (or a full Class A) for an actual Combined Weight (truck and trailer) over 11,000 kg (24,255 lbs). A Class G license may be used if the trailer weight exceeds 4600 kg (10,143 lbs), as long as the combined weight is less than 11,000 kg. This change became law on July 1, 2011. Here is a copy of the pertinent rules from the MTO website:

"Effective July 1, 2011, you may now tow a Recreational Vehicle (RV) weighing more than 4,600 kg with a Class “G” driver’s licence if:
The towing vehicle is a pick-up truck equipped with the manufacturer’s original box, with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) not exceeding 6,000 kg and equipped with no more than two axles and not being used for commercial purposes;
Combined weight of pick-up truck and RV does not exceed 11,000 kg total gross weight;
RV hitched to pick-up truck by means of a fifth wheel hitch assembly;
Only one towed vehicle in combination;
Pick-up truck and RV not equipped with air-brakes;
RV (towed RV) Transport Canada compliant and manufactured to CSA Z-240 or Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (of America) standards;
Floor space of RV is primarily living accommodations."

Our rig usually weighs around 24,700 lbs, so I have a Restricted Class A license. With reciprocal licensing rules, this makes me legal anywhere in North America.

David and Denise, Fulltiming since 2011. Our blog...www.canadafulltimers.blogspot.com
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
That must be a very small 5th wheel
A 34 ft Montana has a dry weight in excess of 12,000# and a cargo carrying weight over 4000# so somewhere north of 16,000# loaded.
Definitely requires a restricted Class A in the province of Ontario. If your truck then weighs over 10,000# in addition to the trailer you're now looking at a full Class A because the total weight going now the highway is now in excess of 26,000#
AH but its not a truck
It
is
a
motorhome.
-read all my replies-
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I have no answer to your question, but I recently learned that these trucks are too stiff-riding. On all but the heaviest of fifth wheels, I've heard of them severely damaging the frame around the pin box.

I can see that if you get an old spring ride. At work I had a 02 international with spring ride. That thing would knock your teeth out on a smallest bump. Now a 15 Kenworth with all air ride. I swear I could run over a honda and not spill my coffee. I drove a mid 80s spring ride cabover for a while. I had to wear my seat belt because sometimes I would literally be thrown out of my seat. IT was horrible. My buddy had a all air ride cabover that rode like a Cadillac.

Pulling a 5er with a big truck is the way to go I think. Superior power and braking. Yea a pain to get the the grocery store and where ever else but you dont need a brand new long hood Pete. An older short little single axle Freightliner or Kenworth t600 will suffice and you can find them cheaper than a pickup.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Most of these people towing with a semi-tractor are ex truck drivers.
NOT true.

Some are - some have had "big" truck experience, some none at all.

BTW - If you go to Escapees (HDT forum) thread, "rigs driven by estrogen"
(hope I got that right) - you will find LOTS of wives who are very capable of driving HDTs - and......enjoy it.

10-9jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-9jc View Post
NOT true.

Some are - some have had "big" truck experience, some none at all.

BTW - If you go to Escapees (HDT forum) thread, "rigs driven by estrogen"
(hope I got that right) - you will find LOTS of wives who are very capable of driving HDTs - and......enjoy it.

Yes you got it right ,the ladies go to their own 'meeting' and come out wanting to give it a drive .
My wife drives ours ,be aware that the vast majority are automated transmissions with a powered clutch so called two peddle trucks, some have a clutch peddle only for starting from a dead stop after that its all done for you -rev matching down shifts, cruise controlled jake brake ,all automated and very sophisticated .
Some of the latest have eco -roll and 'grade knowledge'.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #22

Having owned heavy trucks and being around them all my life I know a HDT can be much cheaper to buy vs a new pickup, and the safety/comfort factor is way better then a dually towing a monster trailer.

Unless you just really WANT a MDT or HDT you really need to be on the road a lot to make something like that worth it. Kind of like deciding on whether you want a DP or not. One of the main benefits to having a trailer is being able to unhitch and have a smaller runabout truck to do what ever, a tractor eliminates that.

I recently went back to a pickup for my business. Previously I had an international 4700 with a DT466. It was dirt cheap to buy and burned about half the fuel of a gas pickup. But I grew tired of the $600per year tag, twice a year inspections, insurance twice the amount of a dually, unwanted attention from DOT, and having to go to international $$$ to get parts. I now have a vehical that serves multiple purposes instead of just one. Half of this may not matter if you register it as an RV I don't know.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #23

My Volvo is titled a MH so insurance was 1/3 what my F250 was ,plates are the same ,no inspections and never a second look from DOT.
next ?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
My Volvo is titled a MH so insurance was 1/3 what my F250 was ,plates are the same ,no inspections and never a second look from DOT.
next ?
No need to defend your point of view or explain the benefits to me. I have nothing against a HDT and I get the concept and it works on paper. I just offered my opinion about them having owned trucks and worked them for a living. Even with the benefits a HDT most certainly would not be my first choice. I'm also a weekender not a fulltimer. A lot of the licensing, insurance, and inspection laws will vary widely from state to state.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #25

Not defending so much as wanting to be absolutely clear ,not commercial means everything
Guys who have driven 'all their life' , have some difficulty seeing HDT as anything but.
They give advice not relating to the use of large trucks non commercialy.
The vast majority are toter homes/motorhomes ,private vehicals .All report the same- less insurance ,no medical to drive,no special licence beyond a air brake course,no annual inspections,no itia stickers no DOT involvement what so ever.
That said the grief that will befall the owner who uses his 'motorhome' for anything that even smells for profit - will be epic.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
Having owned heavy trucks and being around them all my life I know a HDT can be much cheaper to buy vs a new pickup, and the safety/comfort factor is way better then a dually towing a monster trailer.

Unless you just really WANT a MDT or HDT you really need to be on the road a lot to make something like that worth it. Kind of like deciding on whether you want a DP or not. One of the main benefits to having a trailer is being able to unhitch and have a smaller runabout truck to do what ever, a tractor eliminates that.

I recently went back to a pickup for my business. Previously I had an international 4700 with a DT466. It was dirt cheap to buy and burned about half the fuel of a gas pickup. But I grew tired of the $600per year tag, twice a year inspections, insurance twice the amount of a dually, unwanted attention from DOT, and having to go to international $$$ to get parts. I now have a vehical that serves multiple purposes instead of just one. Half of this may not matter if you register it as an RV I don't know.

Ok I see your problem. We have two 2001 4400 intertrashonal trucks with dt466 engines. Both of them are money pits. After both engines blew and were replaced at around 18k apiece,they currently parked and for sale. with a little over 80,000 miles each.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Ok I see your problem. We have two 2001 4400 intertrashonal trucks with dt466 engines. Both of them are money pits. After both engines blew and were replaced at around 18k apiece,they currently parked and for sale. with a little over 80,000 miles each.
I only had the one international, but have owned mack triaxles 400hp 18 speed. I have my opinion on the HDTs just from my own personal lifestyle and past experiences. I have an uncle who has a renegade toterhome pulling a 40ft stacker.

I like the idea and love to see guys pulling highend 5vers with them when we are heading down I95, it just wouldn't work for ME that's all. Just wanted to give a different view point because the person who asked the question may not have the same lifestyle as the folks giving the advise.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:13 AM   #28

With a little spit shine and some new seat covers this baby will pull a 5-er anywhere you want to go. You cant buy a decent pickup for this price.
Peterbuilt Peterbilt RV Single Axle camper Freightliner | eBay

If you want to get facy it will cost you but this is riding in style.

New 2007 Peterbilt RV Horse Trailer Tractor | eBay

Tags
5th wheel