Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #1

Semi truck tow vehicle

I'm looking at getting a smaller semi to pull my 5th wheel. I'm tired of tearing up my pick up. We already own several semi trucks. Problem is they all have either farm or commercial plates. I would need permits to go state to state.

How do you plate your semi truck tow vehicle? Along with pulling my 5th wheel I want to be able to pul a stock trailer for PERSONAL use. I have to move a family member from several states away back here. So I know a motor home plate is not an option. I know if I have anything but a camper I will still have to hit the scales. I'm just wondering how to get around the trip permits. Maybe there is no way around them.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #2

If you haven't already, take a look around here: hhrvresource.com
or here:http://www.rvnetwork.com
Old 11-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Most states have RV tags for HDTs. If you buy an HDT with a big sleeper, then you should have no problem getting RV tags, that are the same tags you would get with a motorhome. In fact, in some states the RV tags would say "Motorhome" instead of RV on the tags.

Here's the part of the Texas DMV website that mentions tags for RVs and motorhomes: https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/other-t...homes-in-Texas
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

We tow with a Semi, HDT. Love the ride, safety, better mpg and a very Wow factor too. Everywhere we go people stop and take pics, and just go on about it. We are registered in Texas and it is registered as a motorhome. I use just like any pickup
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #5

We need some pics.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
We need some pics.
Look HERE
Old 11-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I'm looking at getting a smaller semi to pull my 5th wheel. I'm tired of tearing up my pick up. We already own several semi trucks. Problem is they all have either farm or commercial plates. I would need permits to go state to state.

How do you plate your semi truck tow vehicle? Along with pulling my 5th wheel I want to be able to pul a stock trailer for PERSONAL use. I have to move a family member from several states away back here. So I know a motor home plate is not an option. I know if I have anything but a camper I will still have to hit the scales. I'm just wondering how to get around the trip permits. Maybe there is no way around them.

What state are you in? As others have already said, go to the RVnetwork.com and go to the HDT section.
Towing with a '98 Volvo 610 singled short
Old 11-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #8

Thanks for the replys I will look into that section. Im in Nebraska. These are the 2 Im looking at. Coming up on auction later this month.

2006 FREIGHTLINER CL120 Columbia Conventional, 48 Inch Flat-Top Sleeper, Mercedes MBE4000 Engine, 450 H.P., Engine Brake, 10 Speed Transmission
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_large.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	182018  
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #9

And this one. I would go to a single axle set up with a flat bed.

1995 FREIGHTLINER FLD11264ST Conventional, 48 Inch Flat-Top Sleeper, Caterpillar 3176 Engine, 325 H.P., Engine Brake, 9 Speed Transmission, 40,000 Lb. Rear Ends, 3.70 Ratio, Air Ride Suspension,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_large1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	182019  
Old 11-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #10

I am in Nebraska also.I bought a truck that had pulled a horse trailer from a guy in Texas. I licensed it as a motorhome last year with no problems. They did not even inspect to see if I met the motorhome criteria. Go to the DMV and tell them what you want to do. There is a section in there manual the addresses this issue. As for pulling a moving trailer go on each states web site and go around the scales. I have been to Wisconsin two times this year pulling a car trailer with my F 350 and find scales east of Nebraska are mostly closed. Not like in Nebraska where they are open. PM me for any other assistance.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
What state are you in? As others have already said, go to the RVnetwork.com and go to the HDT section.
Towing with a '98 Volvo 610 singled short

Thanks. I joined that forum.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
I am in Nebraska also.I bought a truck that had pulled a horse trailer from a guy in Texas. I licensed it as a motorhome last year with no problems. They did not even inspect to see if I met the motorhome criteria. Go to the DMV and tell them what you want to do. There is a section in there manual the addresses this issue. As for pulling a moving trailer go on each states web site and go around the scales. I have been to Wisconsin two times this year pulling a car trailer with my F 350 and find scales east of Nebraska are mostly closed. Not like in Nebraska where they are open. PM me for any other assistance.
Sounds good. Thanks. I drove long haul for a few years. I can get around most of the scales. I like to travel 2 lane roads anyway. Less traffic and you get so see more.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #13

Just curious, how much does your 5ver weigh? GVWR and the pin weight? There are a lot of 5vers that will tow very comfortably behind a F350/3500 Dually with a diesel engine.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post

I built this truck for my own personal use. I put it together with the sole aim of skirting all the rules.

It started life as a class 8 semi tractor. 11.1/330 Detroit, Super 10, air ride, jakes, cruise, tilt & tele. By removing the 5th wheel and putting a bed on it, it became a straight truck and required re-registering. In the process of opening it up to re-register it gave me free had to set the numbers nearly anyway I want. I dropped an axle and lightened the truck all I could to get the empty weight for the title down to 15,060 lbs. having a manufacturers rating of 5 tons I was forced to have a minimum carrying capacity of 10,000 lbs putting me at 25,060 GVWR. This was a full size heavy duty truck (with air brakes) that used the same plate, same inspection sticker, same insurance and drivers license as an ordinary pickup. A 16 yr old with a newly minted provisional license could drive it daily anywhere.

That being said, there's no reason that you couldn't go anywhere in it from state to state on reciprocity. When towing you would need to be licensed A or B depending on trailer weight as you'd be over the 26k threshold. As long as you're towing your personal property that's not making any income you're still not commercial and not subject to commercial operating rules. I only went out of state a couple of times in it towing a dual tandem GN, but never even stopped at the weigh stations just like I wouldn't with my pickup towing personal property.

You should explore whether or not your state allows you to use you're farm tagged vehicle to use as a tow vehicle to vacation in. Common sense legislation recognizes you shouldn't have to have an additional heavy tow vehicle to use just a couple of times a year when you already have those vehicles for your farm work. Texas allows this.
Attached Images

Tags
tow