Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #15

As someone who has been thru this recently, I'll give you some advice.

As others have said, your Sequoia may be near it's max, but may still do the job fine if you take some precautions.

First, do not let the wife stuff the rear cargo area of the SUV. In fact, I'd insist that nothing go back there - that it all go in the trailer.

A good weight distributing hitch is a must. I like the Equalizer. It took me 3 changes of settings to get the weight distributed properly on my Suburban 1500. If you are handy, you can install it yourself. If you have it done, make sure you get the manual so you can tweak it later yourself if necessary. A small change can make a big difference. My suburban does not sag at all in the back with the hitch connected.

Get a trailer with an aerodynamic fiberglass front cap. A flat front trailer is a lot harder to tow when you tow vehicle is marginal on power. I pulled a lot bigger, heavier trailer with my Suburban because it had an aerodynamic front end.

Good luck'

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #16

Or a hard sides pop-up like Trail-Manor or Hi-Lo. This hard shell pop-up trailer has a bathroom. I think some of the Hi-Lo's also have a bathroom.
2009 TRAIL MANOR 3124 KB Travel Trailer | Walnut Ridge RV#

Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
First, do not let the wife stuff the rear cargo area of the SUV. In fact, I'd insist that nothing go back there - that it all go in the trailer.
Good point..On my 4-Runner, very little goes into the rear section. Maybe one box of firewood and few jackets. We have a lot of cabinet space in the new tt, but I'm always reevaluating what we really use. Do I really need two slug hammers for split wood NO, A plastic wedge works just fine.

Sequoia's are very $$$$ I would hate to invest in one and find out the tt you really want is to much for it. Even with that 5.7L I'm a little surprised 7k is all that it is rated at. I guess it is what it is...Myself I'm looking at a Tundra double cab with the 5.7L maybe later this summer or by next camping season in 14'. I still want to look at the Chevy trucks...The Tundra models have been around for awhile....their due for a upgrade....?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #18

Superslif - the new Tundra should be out soon. Not sure what is new. It looks a bit chunkier. Don't know of the drive line changes.

Chevy is going to be 'new'. I read all the engines will be direct injected with a slightly different body.

You can't really go wrong with any new truck. Ram, Toyota, Ford or Chevy.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #19

( sorry to post this) i just seen this commerical on tv as i was reading the comments )Toyota trundra pulled the space shuttle. how much does your rig weigh. just saying...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Superslif - the new Tundra should be out soon. Not sure what is new. It looks a bit chunkier. Don't know of the drive line changes.

Chevy is going to be 'new'. I read all the engines will be direct injected with a slightly different body.

You can't really go wrong with any new truck. Ram, Toyota, Ford or Chevy.
I have had three 4-Runners ( 90' 150 HP V-6 tent camping) (99' 183 HP V-6 Coleman pop-up) (05' 272 HP V-8 24' and now a 25' hybrid tt)

But as of 2010 no more V-8's in the 4-Runners.

I still have a factory bumper-to-bumper extended warranty on the 05' 4-Runner till Jan 2015. Sequoia's in my opinion are too $$$$. I would like to get something that would fit in my garage. A full size SUV will not fit. The only medium sized vehicle that will fit is the Dodge Durango with the Hemi. I priced one out last weekend, but over the last 3 months the dealer has had no V-8s to test drive. I'm not really a Dodge fan. My brother who is, has had 3 Dodge Ram's and many issues towing his 5er. All 3 have had major suspension rebuilds $$$$.

So I'll wait for more information on the new Tundra's and or Chevy trucks.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #21

One thing I learned on this site was to search out the floor plan that you love and works best for your family. Then find the tow vehicle that can tow it.

I towed a 7000lbs race trailer with my old 06 Expedition. It certainly was at the limit. I had my WD hitch very tight to keep the rear sag in check. MPG was no more than 7. Power was fine, and it towed ok. I just never felt comfortable that this combo would last long and I felt I was asking to much of the truck.

My sister has a crew cab F150, 2012. We put a 6yr, 5yr and 2yr old in their seats across the back seat. No problem. That cab is huge.

Joe
Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #22

Here's a list of bunk house travel trailers I found under 5600 lbs dry. Hope this helps.

2013KeystoneBullet286QBS - 5196
2013Forest RiverSalem Cruise Lite281QB - 5438
2013HeartlandNorth TrailNT31QBS - 5540
2013JaycoWhite Hawk29SQB - 5450
2013KeystonePassport2910BH - 5354
2012Forest RiverWildwood X-Lite281QBXL - 5438
2013CoachmenFreedom Express291QBS - 5216
2013CoachmenApex298BHS - 5290
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
( sorry to post this) i just seen this commerical on tv as i was reading the comments )Toyota trundra pulled the space shuttle.
That's a meaningless ad, with a meaningless message. Any other brand of pickup with similar engine power and rear axle ratio can do the same thing, i.e., pull ridiculous amounts of weight a short distance on level ground if there is no hitch weight. Did you notice the type of trailer in the ad? Wagon-style, with almost no hitch weight. The tongue is hinged at the front of the trailer, so the tongue can go up and down without changing the weight the pickup is hauling. The only hitch weight is the weight of the actual tongue - maybe 100 pounds max.

Farmers' cotton trailers and grain trailers are often wagon style, with only a few pounds hitch weight. But RV trailers, cow/horse trailers, race trailers, and most utility trailers do not have wagon style hitches. Most are tandem-axle style with about 12% to 24% of the gross weight of the trailer carried by the tow vehicle's suspension and tires. So turn on your brain before you begin to believe your tow vehicle can safely tow a lot more weight than the manufacturers' weight ratings.