Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #1

Seriously....what tire?

Ok..I'm over thinking this...maybe. Folks on this forum were very helpful in making my decision on the TV to purchase and the size 5th wheel to purchase...NOW..based on posts here and reading articles, now that I have the new RV, I want to replace my chinese made tires with the safest and most reliable I can find. There is expert advice to buy ST's because they are designed for the job vs. LT's which can be used but don't have the sidewall construction designed for trailer hauling...I've seen many posts about which tires to NOT buy, but which ST's would you recommend I DO buy...ps: I will soon have four AKURET's available !!!ha. Look forward to your posts.

Fool

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on what size tires are on the trailer.

If they are ST205/75R15C, then replace then with Maxxis ST 205/75R15D (8-ply)

If they are ST225/75R15 c or D, then I would replace them with Maxxis ST225/75R15E (10 ply) trailer tires.
M8008 ST Radial

If they are 16" tires, and provided the trailer has 6,000 pound axles or less, then I would go with Michelin XPS Rib in size LT235/85R16E. The XPS Rib is both an ST and LT tire. It's rated as a commercial truck "all position" tire by Michelin, and all position includes trailer position. Most LT tires are not all-position commercial truck tires, including other Michelin LT tires such as the LTX, so they should not be used on trailers. The XPS Rib is expensive, but your Darling Wife is worth it.
Michelin Americas Truck Tires#

Second choice for a 5er with 6,000 pound axles would be the Maxxis ST tire size ST235/80R16.
M8008 ST Radial

If they are 16" tires but the axles are 7,000 pounds or more each, then there are no great choices available. Probably the best is the Goodyear G614RST, load range G with weight capacity of 3,750 pounds @ 110 PSI.
Truck Tire Selector, Retreading, and Technology | Goodyear Commercial Truck Tire Systems

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

Quote:
LT's which can be used but don't have the sidewall construction designed for trailer hauling...
Who ever told you that is blowing funny smoke.
The LT can be used as a multi position tire (steer/drive and trailer). In fact Michelin recommends the XPS Rib for commercial trailer service. No ST tire brand out here can give that recommendation.

Granted ST tires are designed for a trailer position only. However folks that had issues with a ST tires have upgraded to a LT and have eliminated tire issues.
The devil is in the details which you didn't mention so we can only give you a general recommendation. Your asking about LT tires so I assume you have 16" wheels.
Smokey gave some good recommendation however because of my many many issues with ST tires on my non RV trailers I would go with a 15" LT C or D tire for 3500 lb axles.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you. Some solid specific info to work with. Given my inexperience, I didn't mention the details...the current tires are ST235R80 16 E. The GVWR is 13950 and the axles are rated at 6000 each. I plan to travel at 12000 lbs or less,....that is the plan ! I've only had the 5th wheel a week and as I purchase added "necessities", that plan is being challenged !!! The dry weight is 10010, so I should be able to stay within the 12000 range...

Thanks again.
Fool

PS: Since most folks post what they haul and drive....Bought a new 2012 Ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7 to pull a Palomino 295RL. Have my maiden voyage under my belt...safely, thank goodness.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

Fool,
Since you have 16 inch wheels, I would strongly recommend changing to Michelins if they are in your price range. If they are a bit steep for you then look at BF Goodrich Commercial TA as a cost effective alternative. My 2005 fiver god new commercial TA's this spring and then because of a factory recall got Michelins. Both performed flawlessly.
BTW don't fool yourself. First of all that magical dry number is totally useless. Second once you get it loaded with stuff you will very likely be very close to your GVWR. I am always right up against my GVWR every time I have run across the scales. Which by the way I do almost every trip out. It's easy to do if you actually load your trailer up to travel in comfort. Now if you only use paper plates, wear one set of clothes carry no water in the tanks and barely enough food for a weekend then you might get away with lower numbers.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
Ok..I'm over thinking this...maybe. Folks on this forum were very helpful in making my decision on the TV to purchase and the size 5th wheel to purchase...NOW..based on posts here and reading articles, now that I have the new RV, I want to replace my chinese made tires with the safest and most reliable I can find. There is expert advice to buy ST's because they are designed for the job vs. LT's which can be used but don't have the sidewall construction designed for trailer hauling...I've seen many posts about which tires to NOT buy, but which ST's would you recommend I DO buy...ps: I will soon have four AKURET's available !!!ha. Look forward to your posts.

Fool
So what are the facts about not using Chinese made tires? Buy tires based on fact not personal opinion. All I have seen on forums is a lot of personal opinions based on personal bias and tire expert wannabes. Its interesting that no one can say what exactly caused a tire failure.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=wandering1;1360924]So what are the facts about not using Chinese made tires? Buy tires based on fact not personal opinion. All I have seen on forums is a lot of personal opinions based on personal bias and tire expert wannabes. Its interesting that no one can say what exactly caused a tire failure.[/QUOTE

The only tires I've ever had blow with sudden failure were Chinese. They popped loud enough for me to hear inside my coach from 50 feet back on my tow dolly. I've also had a third that I replaced after seeing the casing deformed-Chinese. So what are you saying? You expect us that have had these "China tire bombs" (Google it) to have the equivalent of an autopsy? Our personal experience of the many is not credible? The Good Year dealer this past summer where I bought one of the replacement's that won't carry their own brand Marathon ST tire. I read the previous post's, I also went with Maxxis and scrapped my newer Chinese Carlisle & Marathon.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #8

I am currently at about 16000 miles on Cooper Roadmaster 17.5" tires, yes, made in China. I was convinced to get them because Michelin had gotten outta sight on pricing when I had 2 tread separations on my Michelin XTAs after 5 seasons/25000+ miles, and the guy who sold me the Michelins told me he had many Coopers running on car transports without problems. Time/more miles only will tell the story, I guess.
By the way, they survived the 15000 mile Alaska trip this last summer...before getting these tires, no way would I have any Chinese-origin tires on my trailer.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't tell you what to do but; If it was me in your same situation, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Michelin XPS Ribs.
I had a Keystone Everest and used them very effectively on that coach.
By very effectively; Never a blow-out and they held air reallll well. They also made a world of difference in the way the coach handled.
They are pricey, but so can being stuck on the side of the road with an inferior tire and the damage it can cause if you get a blow out.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

The XPS Ribs are great for trailer use and one of the two top LT E tires rated for 6k axles.

The Bridgestone Duravis R-250 LT and the Michelin XPS Ribs LTs are both a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire. Top choice for any trailer with 6k axles. I wouldn't mess with any brand ST tire regardless of capacity for any trailer over 6k-8k lbs.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #11

Thanks folks...once again ya'll have been very helpful. And thanks for the specific recommendations...

Fool
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #12

A valid statement would be to say, any tire with a load capacity of 3042# can be fitted to any 6000# axle that was originally equipped with such load capacity tires. Unfortunately, that seldom happens. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requires replacement tires to be of equal size/load capacity as the Original Equipment tires depicted on the vehicle’s certification label.

Even though the LT235/85R16E sized tire is larger than the ST235/80R16E tire, it’s load capacity of 3042# at 80 psi is much less then the 3420# at 80 psi load capacity of the ST tire.

When reading 49 CFR 120 in conjunction with 49 CFR part 567 you will find that the above statement (s) are true and accurate. 49 CFR 570.62 will also support the above conclusions.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requires replacement tires to be of equal size/load capacity as the Original Equipment tires depicted on the vehicle’s certification label.
Sometimes the government nannies do a decent job of protecting us from ourselves. But often they are just a bunch of bureaucrats making dumb rules. In this case, if your trailer has 6,000 pound axles, then the most tire you need has a weight capacity of 3000 pounds.

If your trailer came with tires that are 3,000 to less than 3,500 pounds weight capacity, then you have 6,000 pound axles on that trailer. So any tire rated for trailer service and with at least 3,000 pounds weight capacity is perfectly adequate for that trailer. Surely you aren't stupid enough to overload the trailer to more than 6,000 pounds per axle.

But if you're a stickler for obeying the nannies, then Maxxis makes an ST235/80R16E trailer tire with 3,420 weight capacity. I've had Maxxis ST tires on two of my trailers for several years, and they have given great service. I've also worn out several sets of Michelin XPS tires, and they gave even better service by lasting longer.

The only reason not to use Michelin XPS on your trailer is Michelin is really proud of them and charges "an arm and a leg and your firstborn son". A few years ago I paid $180 each. Now, even from Tire Rack, they cost $295 each.
Michelin*XPS Rib

The Maxxis ST235/80R16E is certainly not cheap at about $200 each, but about a third less than the XPS. Here's one source:
Maxxis M-8008 ST235/80R16 E/10PR - tires-easy.com

Discount Tire also carries Maxxis tires at decent prices, but you'll probably have to special order to get them. Right now the Midland/Odessa/Big Spring stores don't have any in stock, but they can order them.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #14

I've got the Michelin LT's on my trailer. I figure the cost of the tires will far out-weigh the cost and hassle of repairing the trailer should a tire blow up.