Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #1

Shake down cruise went well, WDH fun and games

We took our new to us 2014 Cougar 25RET for a shake down cruise. We went down to our cabin and setup in the driveway.
I tagged in the power to the pole via the breaker panel and Progressive brand ( I think) surge suppressor. The trailer sits kind of high so I purchased a 4x4 cedar post and cut it into one foot length. We purchased a plastic gang box and all our chocks, blocks and Anderson levelers plus some minor things go into the box.

Wife and I spent the next couple of days raiding the cabin for lightweight pots, pans, etc. to stock the TT with. I think we have about 90% of what we need on board. She organized the inside and I did the outside.

We checked all the systems and everything works. We vacuumed out the ducts and scrubbed everything down well. All the stuff in the cabinets are in plastic trays to keep them in place and to prevent problems if items leak for whatever reason.

We cooked a large pizza in the oven and it came out fine, however biscuits quickly burned on the bottom. Will have to get an oven stone.

Replaced the anode in the water heater and gave each hub a shot of grease. Checked the tires for proper air pressure to make sure we did not have any leakers.

I do not care for the amount of flex in the shower pan and will open the access up to that and see if it can be cribbed up a bit.

Still have not found where the water pump lives, I would like to know that.

I had set the WDY up when I purchased the unit but still did not like the feel. Cross winds were a real challenge.

When we got back I found a nice flat parking lot near me and reconfigured the TV/TT.

Fender height of the truck unhitched is 37.5 front and 39 at rear.
Hitched up how I had first set up the unit the fender height was
38 in the front and 37.125 in the rear.
Measurement in the level lot revealed I had the trailer ball about three inches too high.
After dropping the ball to what Blue Ox recommended and going on the ninth link of the chain my new hitched measurements were 37.5 both front and rear. So my front stays unchanged and my rear drops 1.5 inches.

I towed with that in some heavy crosswinds and it made a world of difference. When the heavy gust would hit the whole unit TV/TT would respond as if on a solid frame, there was no flexing of the hitch.
We had 30-40 MPH gusts yesterday.

We still have a lot to learn but we are getting there.

How many of you run your fridges on gas going down the road?
Is it safe to run the furnace while in transit?
Any suggestions on how to crib up my shower pan so it doesn't flex under my feet?

Can the fire exit windows be opened for air circulation? The bedroom has two windows but both are fire exit style with the lever at the bottom you unlatch.

Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
Still have not found where the water pump lives, I would like to know that.
Probably in the fresh water tank.

When you turn on the water without being hooked up to an outside water source, the pump should make a racket when it is pumping. Ours is under the bed, so we raise the bed to access the storage area under the bed and there is the water pump, over the fresh water tank and easily accessable.

If you can't find the pump by simply listening for the pump bussing when the water in a sink or lavatory is on, then find the fresh water tank under the trailer and notice where it is located in relation to the inside of the trailer. Begin at the fresh water fill connection on the side of the trailer, then look under the trailer to locate the tank. Then go to that area of the inside of the trailer and locate the top of the fresh water tank. I'll bet the pump is right there - perhaps under a cabinet or behind a kick panel if not in the storage area under a bed or dinette seat.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I run my fridge going down the road. No problems so far.

Yes, the furnace can run while driving, but why? It's April! Just kidding, I'm guessing you're asking for when the weather does get good and cold. It will use a lot of propane, though. Maybe do a little test where on a near freezing day, you leave a remote thermometer in the trailer, put the receiver on the tow vehicle, and monitor the temp change?

If your fire exit window is like mine, you bring the lever out so that it is perpendicular to the frame, and give it a little push. There is a little catch on the lever to prop the window open, near the handle.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I figured the windows would otherwise why the screens but did not want to find out the hard (expensive) way that they fall out easily or whatever.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

We travel with the fridge on gas. Haven't tried the furnace, but being a Florida boy we try to avoid weather that would cause that being necessary! Glad to hear you are getting it dialed in.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:

Any suggestions on how to crib up my shower pan so it doesn't flex under my feet?

Can the fire exit windows be opened for air circulation? The bedroom has two windows but both are fire exit style with the lever at the bottom you unlatch.
I always run fridge on gas when driving because it is always full of beer and/or food.

I accidently left the furnace on during a 4 hour transit. It didn't hurt anything but I would not do it intentionally. I guess my worry is about a fire source. But the fridge uses a fire source as well.

Both my trailers fire windows were able to open under normal conditions via latch.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

We always run the fridge with on the road, don't think i would run the furnace, unless it was so cold the trailer systems would freeze in transit.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

Parrot, you are way ahead of most new owners--sounds like you really understand most of the things.
Yes, fire windows are made to open from the bottom outward, just be sure you latch them good when you close them.
As Smokey said, get the water pump running and you will soon be able to locate it--if it is so quiet that you can't hear it, please let us all know, we will want one like it...
We never shut the fridge off--it just changes from gas to elec when we plug in, and back to gas when we leave--just check the lights to make sure it is making the transition.
I have run the furnace AND the built-in gen when traveling when in really cold areas, but best to not be out at those temps...the furnace will take the propane down quickly.

Soooo, you are rouging it with both a cabin and an RV--must be tough...

Enjoy the camping lifestyle.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
I always run fridge on gas when driving because it is always full of beer and/or food.
You can keep FOOD in them to? Now that is a neat idea.....I can use the food to fill up the empty places between cases of beer as the day goes by....thanks for the hint!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:

We cooked a large pizza in the oven and it came out fine, however biscuits quickly burned on the bottom. Will have to get an oven stone.

1) No oven stone needed....just get a silicone baking mat and cut it down to the size of your cookie sheet/pan, and use the top setting for the grill work, and instead of 375 deg use 350 and add a minute

2)Never ..good way to have a fire in the coach

3) NEVER.... see #2
Old 04-27-2016, 04:42 AM   #11

Parrot head Nooooooo ! the frige is was to small for all the beer, plus every refill you have to go back inside. Set up once at sight, extend awning, place my chair, place cooler full of nice iced down beer ( and maybe a few waters ) place wife's chair, turn on radio, sit down, open cooler,enjoy !!!! I love camping !!

But remember, No Alcoholic beverages in State Or Federal Parks !
Old 04-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Parrot head Nooooooo ! the frige is was to small for all the beer, plus every refill you have to go back inside. Set up once at sight, extend awning, place my chair, place cooler full of nice iced down beer ( and maybe a few waters ) place wife's chair, turn on radio, sit down, open cooler,enjoy !!!! I love camping !!

But remember, No Alcoholic beverages in State Or Federal Parks !

Ok, so the same game plan as when I used to boat a lot. Tell me, it is permissible to stroll away from others and wet your pants and tell them you are leaving a warm spot for the fish to enjoy? Or does that not work out to well in the campgrounds?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
2)Never ..good way to have a fire in the coach

3) NEVER.... see #2
Fire? How?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #14

I placed an online order for some items I needed. Part of the shipment made it but most did not ship even after I called and they said the got it sorted out. They refunded me the balance and I bought what I needed locally so we can have it they way we want it this weekend.

So I put insect screens on the furnace, water heater and refrigerator. Replaced the roof top vent for the fridge that had be cracked by a tree branch. Picked up a water pressure regulator and 24 foot hose for same. I also replaced the trailer connector since the brake socket was in bad shape.

Were ready to roll this weekend, headed to Stillwater, Oklahoma to visit my daughter and her boyfriend.