Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 02:28 AM   #15

You will get the creaking noise when backing or turning like into a gas station. That is more or less normal.

Ok, truck is solid (and on strorids). Truck looks level. Move more weight to the front of the trailer.

Again, I towed a 5,500lb non areodynamic front end 22' trailer at 70 - 72 mph with a normal F-150 in what I would describe as a non swaying, solid feel. So your truck is more capable with about the same sized trailer. My WDH came from the dealer and was not an equalizer. I am thinking it was a $400 drawtite. When I towed with this combination it seemed liked no big deal.

Are you towing with a half full fresh water tank? Sometimes the water sloshing around will cause some trailer sway.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You will get the creaking noise when backing or turning like into a gas station. That is more or less normal.
Thats what I'm thinking but its no less concerning.

Quote:
Are you towing with a half full fresh water tank? Sometimes the water sloshing around will cause some trailer sway.
Nah. its was empty.

Please note, I didn't say it was swaying...just that I'm constantly THINKING its going to start swaying any minute not.

The reason I said I slowed down when I approached 60 was not because anything the TV or TT was doing, it was just my thought of "oh wow, i need to slow down in case this thing starts to sway"

More than likely I just need more miles under my belt. Force myself to get up to 60/65 and stay there.

Thanks all for all the replies and any more tips, Id love to hear them!
ohiost90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post
....... I'm not liking it at all.

Every bump and imperfection in the road, 1 I feel the trailer pushing and pulling the truck. The hitch noises scare the hell out of me and I'm constantly in fear that the trailer is just about to start the death sway that I've seen on u-tube. I usually go 50 to 55 on the highway and if I hit 60 I start to slow down.

My questions are...

2 Is it normal that I would feel the trailer pushing and pulling the truck while going over bumps in the road? Its not like the truck is out of control, but I certainly know something is back there.

3 Normal regarding the hitch noises over bumps and turns?

My set-up is as follows:
2003 1500HD GMC Sierra Crew cab. 8600 GVWR, 7900 Tow, 14000 GCWR. pulling a 2018 passport 2400BH. Its listed as 4900 pds dry and I couldn't have put more than 500 to 1k in it as I didn't have anything in the holding tanks. I made sure most of the cargo loaded was in the front cargo hold. Its hooked up with an equalizer 8K WD hitch. On my to do list is to run it over a CAT scale.
1 If you don't fdeel the trailer You are not paying attention. congrats on being aware. THe noises are normal see my answer to #3
2 Yes it is normal to feel the trailer. This is not a yard trailer/riding mower
500Lb combo.
3 The equalizer brand uses friction as part of it lateral sway control. I consider it to be the best design out there.
DO NOT LUBE Where the back of the square bars make contact with he brackets.

Quote:
No, the truck is solid and I don't have anything loose. The noise i hear is when I'm turning and / or backing up. Sounds like metal bending and breaking. Maybe I just need to lube a few things?
NO DO NOT LUBE the back ends of the bars. Just make sure they are free of dirt.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #18

Sorry, did not mention. Do not lube anything other than maybe the ball.

I do not lube anything.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #19

Have you towed anymore? If so, how was it. If not, when is the next time you will tow.

I started towing travel trailers in 2008 and was surprised. Before that, starting in 1980 I towed small runabout type boats. So even with all that towing of boats gave me some idea of what to expect. So I knew about the gas mileage dropping and the gas engine sound when towing. The travel trailer feels heavier than the same weight boat suprised me plus it is not areodynamic like a boat.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Have you towed anymore? If so, how was it. If not, when is the next time you will tow.

I started towing travel trailers in 2008 and was surprised. Before that, starting in 1980 I towed small runabout type boats. So even with all that towing of boats gave me some idea of what to expect. So I knew about the gas mileage dropping and the gas engine sound when towing. The travel trailer feels heavier than the same weight boat suprised me plus it is not areodynamic like a boat.
Unfortunately, I'm not going to get out for a few weeks. Kids finishing up school and have weekend commitments until end of June. Hopefully I'll get over the learning curve quickly.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #21

Here is a pic of the rigs. Anyone see anything obvious?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	205789  
Old 06-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #22

That looks pretty good, maybe a tiny bit of squat in the truck but not too bad.

Nice looking rig btw.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Thats what I'm thinking but its no less concerning.

Nah. its was empty.

Please note, I didn't say it was swaying...just that I'm constantly THINKING its going to start swaying any minute not.

The reason I said I slowed down when I approached 60 was not because anything the TV or TT was doing, it was just my thought of "oh wow, i need to slow down in case this thing starts to sway"

More than likely I just need more miles under my belt. Force myself to get up to 60/65 and stay there.

Thanks all for all the replies and any more tips, Id love to hear them!

I thought you were supposed to be on Holliday’s and enjoying the drive. 55-60 mph towing a TT is fast enough. Why would anyone have to tow at 70+mph. That is someone looking for trouble.
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:33 AM   #24

Its hard to determine if you really have a problem or not. One thing you can do is have someone with a dash cam follow you and record what’s going on. It’s possible that it’s all just in your mind or you really could be approaching critical speed where things start to move around.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:14 AM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
another think that could help is your tires on your truck. look at the load rating.
Some have have better towing experiences going to a LT tire.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #26

almacd1814 - just trying to tow in the right lane near the speed limit. If I towed at 55mph I would cause an accident because it is too slow. Cars and Semi's zipping around a slow moving vehicle is not relaxing for the driver of the slow moving vehicle.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
another think that could help is your tires on your truck. look at the load rating.
Some have have better towing experiences going to a LT tire.
The truck came with and I replaced with LT load E tires.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #28

That is a half ton truck on steroids. If no sway, you just need to get use to towing.