Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

shaking f-350

i recently purchased a new long bed crew cab f-350 auto transmission. the truck shakes through 1st gear then smooths out. dealer has changed drive shaft and made adjustments, but its still there.has any one else had this problem? i'm pulling a 38 ft redwood.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

Dually, 4wd, year model, diesel? Need more info.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

There are numerous thing that can cause that, sounds like the dealer has eliminated the driveshaft as the cause. It is possible the transmission is slipping in that gear, it is possible the differential is causing the problem, spring wrap used to be a problem many years ago but I've never seen it in the last decade. Unless the truck has been modified the driveshaft angle should not be a candidate.
Sorry I do not have an answer or solution, just offering possibilities is all I can muster.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Dually, 4wd, year model, diesel? Need more info.

Gear ratio ? Weights compared to GCVW ? Only when towing ?

More info = better answers.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #5

Tranny. Tundra had the same problem years ago....
Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedococala View Post
Tranny. Tundra had the same problem years ago....
Highly unlikely. The gear ratios are heavily monitored for slippage. If there is a slight slip, the engine will be derated for power. This is also easily monitored by the tech by comparing gear-rat and trans-rat.

There has been an updated driveshaft for some of the F350's and 250's. However, there is no information about year and powertrain of the rig. If the pin weight is over GRVW, the suspension will be changed to much and you are fighting a driveline angle issue. It does sound like there is a drive line angle concern based on description and what I have seen. The dealer must contact the Technical Hotline for the correct part number for the drive shaft if it falls within the specifics of the new driveshaft.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

If they have the correct drive shaft installed, then I would go towards the transmission torque converter. I had one doing something but it was from 2nd to 3rd shift. Dealer changed under warranty.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

Highly unlikely. The gear ratios are heavily monitored for slippage. If there is a slight slip, the engine will be derated for power. This is also easily monitored by the tech by comparing gear-rat and trans-rat.

There has been an updated driveshaft for some of the F350's and 250's. However, there is no information about year and powertrain of the rig. If the pin weight is over GRVW, the suspension will be changed to much and you are fighting a driveline angle issue. It does sound like there is a drive line angle concern based on description and what I have seen. The dealer must contact the Technical Hotline for the correct part number for the drive shaft if it falls within the specifics of the new driveshaft.
Lol.... Tell that to Toyota. Look up "tundra rumble strip" and read up a bit... Some had Trannys replaced and Others had torque converters replaced.... My point is that this is likely where the problem is.... Start there.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedococala View Post
Lol.... Tell that to Toyota. Look up "tundra rumble strip" and read up a bit... Some had Trannys replaced and Others had torque converters replaced.... My point is that this is likely where the problem is.... Start there.
Im sure there was an issue with Toyota however I know these transmissions very well (due to my job) and the TCM monitors slip very carefully. The problem is likely in the driveline angles when loaded based on his description. Not the transmission. First gear uses the Forward clutch only. The forward clutch remains on in gears 1-4. If it was in the transmission, there would be a strong chance that the slip would occur in 2nd with the intermediate turned on, in 3rd with the direct applied, and 4th when the OD clutch is commanded on.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #10

Motor Mounts or Transmission Mounts...And check tires for cupping, balancing, out of round rims on rear...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #11

If anyone did any research, they'd find this is well documented, and is most likely driveshaft issues. Not transmission, not mounts.
Possibly due to longer leaf springs allowing for more axle wrap during take off and under truck squatting from load. Two piece drive shafts are available heavy duty-er for long beds, not sure about short beds. Shim kits are also available.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Typically a driveshaft/pinion yoke angularity problem due to axle wrap and exacerbated by higher pin weights (more rear suspension compression), and certainly NOT exclusive to Ford.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #13

Funny that folks complain about others not doing any research are not kind enough to post a link to help the OP...lol...and if you don't think Motor Mounts and Transmission Mounts cannot cause these problems as well, you never mechanic'ed too much did ya? Just sayin'...

Here's a thread that went through the fix for the shake...
Vibration on takeoff when towing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
As requested, attached is the factory TSB for the Dodge Ram launch shudder condition since I stated that the condition is not exclusive to Ford. The same technical principles apply to driveshafts and universal joints regardless of truck brand. This TSB is for 3rd generation (2003-2009) trucks; there is a similar bulletin for 2nd generation (1994-2002) trucks that addresses the same underlying potential problem.

Notice that any driveshaft/pinion angle setting is a compromise; what's optimum for towing or carrying heavy loads won't be optimum for unloaded operation.

TSB 03-003-04

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote