Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Shocker Hitch?

I'm looking at buying a Tongue mount hitch. Anyone have info on a shocker Hitch.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A "shocker hitch" is a shank and ball mount, commonally called a ball mount, that includes a shock absorber of some sort. It is a weight-carrying (WC) hitch, not a weight-distributing (WD) hitch.

How much does your wet and loaded trailer weigh? If the GVWR of the trailer is more than 5,000 pounds, then forgetabout a shocker receiver hitch and go with a good WD hitch.

All the experts say any trailer that can gross more than 5,000 pounds requires either a weight-distribution (WD) or fifth wheel hitch. The WC shocker ball mount is okay for a trailer with GVWR less than 5,000 pounds, but I personally would not use one for any trailer that has a GVWR over around 3,000 pounds.

I don't see a way to use a shocker ball mount with a WD hitch. The ball mount part of a WD hitch, usually called the head, includes sockets where the spring bars attach, and some include wings where a friction sway bar would attach.

The shocker ball mount is a WC hitch that inserts in your receiver and is for trailers that gross less than 5,000 pounds. Granted, the Shocker manufacturer says you can tow a trailer that weighs up to 12,000 pounds, but that's sales hype. Don't even think about using a shocker ball mount for any trailer that can gross more than 5,000 pounds.

A good welder/fabricator might be able to figure out some way to combine a WD hitch with a shocker ball mount and still use the spring bars of the WD hitch. But Shocker doesn't offer one:
Shocker Hitch - Air Suspension Trailer Hitches
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Yes they do its called a Tongue Mount. You can use it with a (WD) Hitch

http://www.shockerhitch.com/
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPRam View Post
I'm looking at buying a Tongue mount hitch. Anyone have info on a shocker Hitch.
Well, aint that thing interesting. It's pretty new. The company started in 2000 and after 3 yeas R&D came up with the air-ride shocker...American genius!

If I was towing a light trailer, especially behind a stiff sprung HD Pick-up - and WAS NOT using a WD hitch - then that would be pretty cool stuff.

But, your WPT28BR (with over 13,000lb GVWR) should really be on a WD hitch. If you haven't used one, it is really worth consideration.

And, using the tongue mount Shocker or any Shocker with a WD hitch will be wasted money, since the WD set-up ties every thing together - reducing any flex between the receiver/truck chassis and the trailer chassis. That's how a WD hitch works. See the FAQ on their website...does not work with WD hitch.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I need to try something $600 is better than $1500.for air safe that all the weight goes on the hitch.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPRam View Post
I need to try something $600 is better than $1500.for air safe that all the weight goes on the hitch.
With air bags on the tongue, it is still a weight carrying (WC) hitch. DO NOT even think about dragging a 13k trailer with a WC hitch.

A good WD hitch will distribute about 25% of the trailer tongue weight to the front axle of the truck and another 25% to the trailer axles, leaving only around 50% of the tongue weight on the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

If your TT has a GVWR of 13,000 pounds, I hope you have a receiver rated for that much gross trailer weight and the resulting 1,500 pounds or more of tongue weight. You can replace your weakling factory receiver with a Reese Titan receiver rated up to 17,000 pounds with a heavy duty receiver, and it sounds like that's what you need. Factory receivers are usually rated not more than 6,000 pounds with a WC hitch such as the Shocker, and 12,000 pounds with a WD hitch.

A Reese Strait-Line WD hitch rated for a TT weighing up to 15,000 pounds, and including excellent dual cam sway control, costs less than $550. Add another $100 to $125 for the adjustable shank and ball, and you're looking at around $650 to $675 for the full Nelson.
Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 15,000 lbs GTW, 1,500 lbs TW RP66130
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

LA Gulf Coast Campers
My TH loaded with 1200 lb motorcycle and every thing for camping weighed 7220 lb 6000 axle and 1220 tongue at the scale.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #8

LA Gulf Coast Campers
At the same scale I weighed my truck full of fuel me, DW and a small box in back weighed in at 7980, I went to smother scale to buy some limestones they weighed the truck first over a half a tank of fuel me and a small box in back and it weighed in at 7746 so that should be close.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I received my shocker hitch today tongue mount, will try it out in 2 weeks.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Put it on and works great not 70% maybe 40% going to try it without the WD Bars, just going to use the sway bar !
I caught a blowout yesterday on our way camping. I found out I have D rated and E rated tires !
I put 70 pounds in each tire, too much in the D rated So it blew very loud !!
Did not mess up the rim !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4236625439.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	722.1 KB
ID:	45088   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1533274909.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	696.0 KB
ID:	45089  

Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #11

Learn somethin' new every day... Neat idea!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #12

I hope it works out for you. Out of curiosity, I wonder how much added weight is absorbed by the WD bars when the rig encounters a big bump.
It appears you now have 2, 2 5/16" trailer balls and receivers to maintain. Am I seeing that correctly?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #13

LA Gulf Coast Campers
On the way back home I left the bars off and it worked fine you never feel any bumps from the camper just what the truck goes through.
I think I'll put the bars back on but put them on loose.