Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #1

Shopping for a new TV - Gas or Diesel pros and cons

So I am starting to shop for a new TV and looking to purchase near the end of the year. I am looking hard at crew cab short bed F250's and F350's and am finding the diesel's much more common than the gas equivalent. I have always had gas and never really considered a diesel. Is there any significant pro's/cons to a diesel over a gas engine that would justify the additional cost. I really don't need a diesel, my hybrid is 4500 dry and 6400lbs GVWR. I haven't weighted it yet so I don't have an actual wet weight. I'm looking at the 3/4 or more because I want the increased payload of these trucks to haul the wife, 3 kids, and 2 dogs plus stuff without much worry. The TV wont be a daily driver so it will sit unless I'm towing or going to hunting camp. Any help, info, or experiences are very appreciated.

nomad_archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #2

This is a difficult question to answer as either engine will pull your trailer so it really will come down to personal taste. Iíve pulled a 7,000 lb TT with both just fine. The diesel pros are torque, better mileage, easier pulling over mountain grades, and the engine brake makes descends easier. Using your transmission during descends makes the descend easier with the gas engines, partially offsetting the advantage of the engine brake. The negative is the initial cost, and higher fuel costs. Iíve never calculated whether the increased mileage offsets the higher fuel costs because my gas powered truck was a 1/2 ton and my diesel truck is a 3/4 ton. Many on the forums will tell you the higher trade in valve and longer life offset the initial investment - I canít attest to that as my diesel only has 40k miles and is 1-1/2 years old.

You did mention payload (family and stuff) - while the diesel has a higher towing weight it has a lower payload due to the higher engine weight.

Other factors you need to consider is the terrain youíll be towing over, level, hilly, or Rocky Mountains.

The over whelming advice youíll receive on this, or any forum, is go with diesel but only you can decide what is best for you. My vote would be diesel.

Jerry TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

Just your basic stuff for diesel; power, fuel economy, longevity and higher resale coupled with higher costs. Based on your needs it sounds like you don't require a diesel unless you have a niggly feeling you might want to upgrade to a larger trailer in the future. Don't know this for a fact but I think the diesels like to be driven instead of parked, could be a factor.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

I just bought a new 2017 F-250 6.2 gas powered truck . I had a 2012 F-450 diesel to pull a 5th wheel that I bought new. I traded the 5th wheel and F-450 for the 2017 F-250 Lariat 2wd 6.2 has powered truck and some cash.

Diesel has so much more power it tows effortlessly. Makes the truck feel quick. But if you are not going to use it a lot the DEF fluid can go bad and diesel fuel also can go bad.

If you are looking for a new truck I found the Ram 2500 Larimie 6.4 just as nice as the F-250 Lariat 6.2.

For what you need to tow and how much the truck will be used the new half ton trucks will blow you away. The 2019 Ram 1500 is a great, comfortable, quiet, ultra refined truck. To pull a trailer, a Ram with the Ram Box and factory air suspension is the cats meow. That is if it came with the Fords 3.5 eco-boost.

The 2018 F-150 is very close to the Ram in refinement. Nice, quiet, comfortable ride.
Standard is a 10 speed transmission. Ram has an 8 speed transmission. The F-150 crazy expensive trim packages is the bees knees with a 3.5 eco-boost engine.

The new redesigned Chevy 1500 will be out in about 6 months.

These redesigned trucks are using a lot more high strength steel in the frame. That makes them feel rock solid. The wheel base is being increased and more room inside the cab and makes a better tow vehicle.

As good as the Ram and Ford drive the 2018 Chevy 1500 maybe drives better. Makes me wonder what the 2019 Chevy will drive like.

The 2019 Ram 1500 is on dealer lots now. But selection is minimal. My local Ram dealer has 5 or 6 2019 models.

My 2017 F-250 6.2 has a occupant and cargo capacity of a whopping 3,496 lbs. I looked at and liked a Ram 2500 6.4 with a whopping 3,300 lb cargo capacity.

My advice if you choose to take it is to wait maybe another year. Ford, Chevy and Ram are working on their 250/350, 2500/3500 trucks now. Both Ford and Ram are working on a 7.0 liter gas engine. This is my guess, Both Ford and Ram will use more speeds than 6 in the heavier trucks and maybe use a 7.0 liter gas engine.
So in another year your selection of Rams and Chevy 1500's will increase and you will know what the changes will be done for the 250/350 2500/3500 trucks.

Oh, no matter what truck you buy is will be very easy to live with. Gas will be easier to live with than diesel.

The half ton trucks will have a cargo capacity of 1550 to 1900lbs. The 3/4 ton diesel trucks will have 2,400 to 3,000lbs of cargo capacity the gas trucks with have 2,800 to 3,500lbs of capacity.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You'll more than likely be happy with either one for the trailer you have now. If you have no plans of getting a larger trailer than you most likely do not *need* the power of the diesel.

I mainly got my diesel pickup because I was originally planning to buy a larger trailer, *and* I wanted the exhaust brake for travelling around the mountainous West. I've got 100k miles on the odometer now, and zero regrets.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #6

Diesel: better towing experience with engine brake and handling of elevation changes.

Gas: cheaper, period. From initial cost to routine maintenance

Btw, if you're serious about a new truck and may upgrade coach at some point, skip 3/4 ton and go ahead and get 1 ton. Especially with the payload associated with family camping.
Fl2GaScotts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #7

I surely don't agree that a diesel costs more to operate........oil changes have longer intervals, and a lot longer life....and fuel prices are changing all the time.........at 64 mph, old Dodge towing 11,000 gets 14.8 and empty at 70, gets 23.3.....and turns a whole lot sharper than a Ford 250
Old 06-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #8

Ok, so the roughly $50 oil change I got q 8k miles on my 1500 and the $100+ q 15k miles on my 2500 are fairly close. Then we add in def, not expensive no, but still a cost, the fuel filters for the diesel, 2 q 15k miles, etc
Old 06-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #9

I do agree on the mileage, nice to have unloaded mpg starting with a 2* as opposed to the 1500 where after moving to LT tires was lucky to see 16
Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

Let's not get started on repair bills for the newer diesel trucks. That's why I switched back to gas. I can do most repairs in my driveway or have a mechanic do it for a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:11 AM   #11

Agree a modern diesel engine is a bit more complex than a gas engine. I had a DIY friend that would do his own work on his old F-250 with the 7.3. He replaced a lot of things on that engine. He bought a 2011 Ram diesel. Said he would not work on that engine. By engine I mean the fuel / DEF delivery system including the injectors and sensors.

My biggest worry was my diesel truck was sitting too much and that the diesel fuel or DEF fluid would go bad. Or I would get water in the fuel that would ruin the super high pressue injectors.

Again, I did not have any problems with my diesel truck in 6.25 years.

Oh, I feel I did get much of the initial cost of the diesel back at trade-in time. So think of the diesel engine only costing a few thousand more instead of several thousand more.

If you can afford the initial cost, everyone should own a modern diesel engine at least once. You will love the way it tows and drives. Towing, it will not shift as much as it will increase turbo boost instead of shifting down so it tows smoother.

You will also have much more selection if you look at diesel powered trucks. My local Ford dealer has 10 F-250's / F-350's, all diesel. They do not have any gas powered Superduty trucks.

If you go diesel then I would recommend you pay a little bit more for the 1 ton truck.

Just a warning, all new trucks are higher. My 2012 F-450 4 x 4 was lower than my 2017 F-250 4 x 2.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:07 AM   #12

Thanks for all the responses and I definitely learned a thing or two. I'm leaning towards as gas F350 even though they are harder to find than the diesel equivalent. I just realized that I just filled my truck up yesterday and that was the first time in a month that it has needed gas. I could swing the higher cost of a diesel but I really just don't seem to have the need. We may eventually upgrade to a larger trailer but that would be 8-10 years from now and if I get a 1 ton gas or diesel I figure I will still have enough truck to tow whatever we find as long as I pay attention to the numbers. As for where I will be towing, it will mainly be in the eastern or central US. I would love to make a trip or two out to the rockies but that would be the exception not the rule.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #13

Ok, cool. So let's talk about the cool things you can get on a gasoline powered F-350. 1st it will come with a whopping 3" receiver on the hitch with 2 reducers down to 2". A F-250 only has a 2.5" receiver with 1 reducer down to 2".

For model year 2017 Ford re-engineered the frame and went from a weaker 'C' channel frame to a much much better high strength steel boxed frame with more cross members. They also improved the hitch receiver and say you no longer need a weight distribution hitch under 1,700lbs hitch weight. (This I got to see). Model year 2017 started the all aluminum body.

The highest trim level you can get will be a Lariat. And FYI, my truck has the optional $180 rear wheel liner which makes the truck look more finished. Have the dealer install this wheel liner.

Get the LED lighting option, Bliss with trailer radar, FX4 package 4 x 4 with a locking rear diff, Lariate Ultimate Package, this includes push button start and panoramic sunroof. I think they offer wheel to wheel running boards, get that so you can stand on it and reach into the bed.

If I had to do it again, I might have looked for a well optioned XLT trim level. Ford puts much larger discounts on the XLT.

In a Ram 2500 I saw a gas powered Limited.

Right now Ford has the best frame. But in 2020 (right around the corner) Ram and Chevy will catch up. (Ford went from having the worse frame to having the best frame). Ford and Ram e-coat the frame, Chevy does not. My guess, in 2020 all truck frames will be boxed high strength steel and be e-coated.

If in model year 2020 Ford uses a 7.0 liter gas engine with a 10 speed auto and Ram does the same thing I will probably trade my 2017 F-250 in on a 2020 or 2021 model.

The key fob, or in this case just a fob, is the size of a small rock. I leave the fob hidden in the truck and open the door with the Ford exclusive key pad. To lock the truck I again use the key pad. Zero fumbling reaching into my pockets looking for the fob.

What do you use now to tow with? My guess, is you will really like the new truck.

Oh, you ever get to west central Pa.? If so, Blue Knob State Park is a very pretty area of Pa.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ok, cool. So let's talk about the cool things you can get on a gasoline powered F-350. 1st it will come with a whopping 3" receiver on the hitch with 2 reducers down to 2". A F-250 only has a 2.5" receiver with 1 reducer down to 2".

For model year 2017 Ford re-engineered the frame and went from a weaker 'C' channel frame to a much much better high strength steel boxed frame with more cross members. They also improved the hitch receiver and say you no longer need a weight distribution hitch under 1,700lbs hitch weight. (This I got to see). Model year 2017 started the all aluminum body.

The highest trim level you can get will be a Lariat. And FYI, my truck has the optional $180 rear wheel liner which makes the truck look more finished. Have the dealer install this wheel liner.

Get the LED lighting option, Bliss with trailer radar, FX4 package 4 x 4 with a locking rear diff, Lariate Ultimate Package, this includes push button start and panoramic sunroof. I think they offer wheel to wheel running boards, get that so you can stand on it and reach into the bed.

If I had to do it again, I might have looked for a well optioned XLT trim level. Ford puts much larger discounts on the XLT.

In a Ram 2500 I saw a gas powered Limited.

Right now Ford has the best frame. But in 2020 (right around the corner) Ram and Chevy will catch up. (Ford went from having the worse frame to having the best frame). Ford and Ram e-coat the frame, Chevy does not. My guess, in 2020 all truck frames will be boxed high strength steel and be e-coated.

If in model year 2020 Ford uses a 7.0 liter gas engine with a 10 speed auto and Ram does the same thing I will probably trade my 2017 F-250 in on a 2020 or 2021 model.

The key fob, or in this case just a fob, is the size of a small rock. I leave the fob hidden in the truck and open the door with the Ford exclusive key pad. To lock the truck I again use the key pad. Zero fumbling reaching into my pockets looking for the fob.

What do you use now to tow with? My guess, is you will really like the new truck.

Oh, you ever get to west central Pa.? If so, Blue Knob State Park is a very pretty area of Pa.
I am looking at both the XLT and Lariate packages. I'm just not sure I want the leather seats that come with the Lariate package. I feel like I might destroy them in hunting season. My only concern with the 350 is the 3" receiver and using the reducer(s) to get down to the 2" shank on my equalizer. I'm worried there maybe a bit of slop that could negatively impact things. That might just be me over thinking it as well.

I currently tow with an '08 crew cab tacoma w/ tow package. It has towed my boat and pop up well. But my toys and family has grown beyond its capabilities. It will pull the new trailer but it is getting towards the upper end of the limits and it is working the truck hard. I also have 3 kids now and I just can't fit 3 kids, 2 adults, and 2 dogs in the cab. With all that being said I dont have the luxury of waiting years for a new truck. Luckily I can wait until the end of the year or the early part of next year to pick out and find the right one.

I am in currently located in Southeast central PA and I will make it a point to check out blue knob SP. I have driven by just never stopped.

Tags
diesel, gas