Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #15

I recently traded my f150 for a f250 diesel. The reason wasn't because the 5.4 triton couldn't do the job. I could pull my 7500 pound load fine, at 7 mpg's. The rpms were very high and the suspension had a lot of bounce, even with the WD hitch. Now with the f250 diesel, my fuel mileage while towing is 14-15. The truck cruises like there is nothing there. As well as I only feel a bump once.

I will not say you need the 3/4, but in my opinion I feel safer now then I did before.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #16

Everybodies gotan opinion. For your current trailer any of the newer 1/2 tons would be more than sufficient. 4X4 or 4X2 is a personal preference thing. Get one dont get one. Only you can say for sure if you want/need it. If you are thinking of upgrading in the near future think 3/4 ton. Lots more truck not much more cost today. But real expensive if you dont choose correctly this time.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For a lighter trailer, a properly equipped 1/2 ton will pull it OK. But I would never go anywhere near the 10,000# rating that Ford and Toyota are putting on their 1/2 ton trucks for any serious towing. If you are going to be towing 1/2 the time or more, I'd want a "TRUCK" designed for the long haul.

Personally, I don't like to hear a gasser screaming at 5000 rpm trying to get to the top of a hill. Give me a diesel for towing.

Ken
Old 06-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #18

I have a 2011 Ford Crew Cab 2 wheel drive F 150 Ecoboost with a 3.55 rear end that can tow 9800lbs. We have a 2012 31ft Jayco White Hawk loaded weight 7200 lbs. We left South Louisiana on May 8 and have been to Cape Cod. At present we are camped at Boston Minuteman CG in Littleton, Ma. The truck has performed well averaging 11.3 mpg while towing using 89 octane gas and 23 mpg not towing. Check it out, you will be amazed.

James
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I have never understood the "must have 4 wd" for a pick up. I've had six pickups, and never had a 4 X 4, never got stuck, never needed one. Correction, I did get stuck once when we lived in northern Utah...in my driveway when I tried to get out without shoveling.
Those that "must" have 4x4 are he man wanna be's that think they need a 4x4 to look manly. I have owned only 1 4x4 when I lived in Colorado to be able to get thru heavy snow. They dont help on ice, 4 wheels slide just like 2 wheels do on ice. There are a lot of other bored individuals that like to go muddin to see how much mud they can drive thru. Terrain that a 4x4 is NEEDED for is terrain that you will not be able to pull a 5er thru simply because of the dead weight of the 5er. 4X4 is NOT needed for towing a 5th wheel.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1

Those that "must" have 4x4 are he man wanna be's that think they need a 4x4 to look manly. I have owned only 1 4x4 when I lived in Colorado to be able to get thru heavy snow. They dont help on ice, 4 wheels slide just like 2 wheels do on ice. There are a lot of other bored individuals that like to go muddin to see how much mud they can drive thru. Terrain that a 4x4 is NEEDED for is terrain that you will not be able to pull a 5er thru simply because of the dead weight of the 5er. 4X4 is NOT needed for towing a 5th wheel.
WOW! This is a very ignorant post. Yes all vehicles slide on ice, that's why we get studded tires. Saying people only get a 4x4 to stroke their egos is a pretty pathetic statement. I live in Alaska, I have a 4x4 because
1. I want to be able to drive through a foot of snow and not get stuck
2. I actually use my truck off paved roads and therefore use my 4x4 system
3. I feel safer going up a hill with my truck in 4x4 on ice because I know my truck is not gonna spin out and kick the rear end around sending me into a spin

Don't generalize everyone into a small group of people who do get 4x4 just to say they have it
Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley87

WOW! This is a very ignorant post. Yes all vehicles slide on ice, that's why we get studded tires. Saying people only get a 4x4 to stroke their egos is a pretty pathetic statement. I live in Alaska, I have a 4x4 because
1. I want to be able to drive through a foot of snow and not get stuck
2. I actually use my truck off paved roads and therefore use my 4x4 system
3. I feel safer going up a hill with my truck in 4x4 on ice because I know my truck is not gonna spin out and kick the rear end around sending me into a spin

Don't generalize everyone into a small group of people who do get 4x4 just to say they have it
I agree
Maybe some of us don't want weather to restrict us. Its kind of like insurance, you don't need it but it sure comes in handy when you need it
Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
ezspdr......This post is all over the place on what you need. You really need to look at how you're going to use the truck and the trailer. You said you're going shopping....does that mean you'll be buying a 2012 truck. If so, I agree a 1/2 ton would fit your needs if you don't plan on doing long hard trips every weekend. I helped my kids shop for a new Yukon, knowing they would upgrade from their tent trailer in the near future.

The truck manufacturers are pretty good about setting up their lighter weight vehicles for towing, but don't be confused. My kids were all ready to buy and asked me to look over the vehicle before they pulled the trigger. The window sticker had listed as an option a trailer hitch and wiring and was told by the salesman it was trailer ready. This was until I showed them another Yukon on the lot with the tow package. It included upgraded oil cooler and radiator, hitch, wiring and brakes. The Yukon was ready to tow 8500#. They soon bought a new trailer that weighed 7000# loaded. With the weight distributing hitch it tows well, sits perfectly and climbs hills without issues.

My point......decide what you plan on doing with your truck. Will it be a daily driver that needs to get good mileage. Reasonably sized for passengers, easy to park as a daily driver. Are you willing to pay extra for a diesel engine for the better mileage? Are you planning on keeping the your trailer for many years....will you possibly go larger in the near future?

I just bought a 2012 Siverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab on Friday. I needed a 4x4 that I could tow 4 down behind my MH. It was pretty easy to distinguish what I needed with the Chevy trucks. I could get a 4.8 V8, but wanted a larger engine. The LTZ comes with the 5.3 V8. I really wanted the 6.2 V8, but the mileage was 5mpg less in the city and highway, but was really set up for towing with the larger motor and lower rear end. It would have been a great 1/2 ton for towing. For my needs, the 5.3 V8 was a perfect fit.

The only time I would say no to a 1/2 ton is with a good size fifth wheel. The hitch weight can often be too much for a smooth level ride.

Tailor the truck to your needs!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you DD - Sometimes the disagreements overshadow the efforts to help

I may never need 4x4 and, actually, it LOWERED my payload rating some due to the heavier STUFF I carry around, but we just liked the stance of it more and the features that came with it... and since it's my money and my truck, SO FAR, I still get to make the decision ...

but kudos to the OP for even ASKING the questions as many dive into it with limited knowledge (guilty as charged - first towed in the 70's and still learning !)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why worry, I see folks all the time asking "Will my truck tow this?"

Strange... Not one of them shop here:

TRAIL-HAULER.COM

People who shop there don't ask that question.

NOTE: The biggest trailer I ever pulled (Well any distance) was 2,000 pounds. I"ve pulled 4,000 but only at city street speeds.

Pulled even heavier.. but either from the driver's seat of a SEMI tractor (Flat bed loaded) or a Farm Tractor... Those do not count.

But the rig linked to above WILL pull your RV trailer.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #25

Match the truck and trailer befor you buy

Hello

Here is the way we decided on our tow vehicle / trailer combination.

We decided what kind of trailer we wanted. Then looked around at the RV shows noting the GWR on the fifth wheel trailers.

Then we went to the dealers that handled light duty trucks. We found that the only manufacturer of a light duty trucks in 2009 that would pull the class of trailer we wanted was the GMC /Chevrolet Duramax DRW. After purchasing the truck and trailer the first thing I did was go to the Cat Scales. Then we loaded the trailer accordingly. We carry a model steam locomotive in the basement that just fits crossways and weighs rite at 1,000 lbs. We weight out at 23,000 lbs even and the truck has a GCWR of 23,500 and we donít exceed any AWR. We have never had any handling problems and the few panic stops we experienced went very well.

The only all wheel drive vehicles I have ever owned were 6X6. I donít have a use for a 4X4 because I donít ever intend to see snow on the road again. As for getting stuck in the sand or mud I have been stuck 2 times since 2009. I will not let a tow truck try to pull me out of a sand hole. I carry just enough wood blocking in the bed of the truck to get out without a tow truck. Both times I go stuck I got myself out and the park never new it until I went to the office and requested a different trailer lot.

I would suggest you follow a similar procedure as mine and get the weight ratings for the vehicle you intend to tow with and the weight rating of the trailer you intend to tow and match them so your not exceeding any of the weight ratings GCWR and AWR.

Not exceeding any weight rating is good a little margin is better. Somewhere else I posted a list of weights for our unit to show how the weight increases over a period of a couple years. This is the result of ďstuffĒ you put in the trailer that you think you canít do without. This why I weight my unit before every long trip where we are carrying the heavy load

3665RE
Old 06-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
I use 4wheel drive while pulling my 5er quite often. just last week, the spot I wanted was at the top of a steep, loose gravel road. I use it when pulling the boat up some steep boat ramps we have. (cant do it with wet rears) then there is the deer hunt.. 4x4 is a must here in Utah. we also use the truck to get us to the ski resorts when theres 2-3ft of fresh powder too.
not a matter of trying to "look manly"..Its all in how you use your rig. a 2wd truck is as about as useless as tits on a boar to me.
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I stand on my original statement:

Quote:
Depending on where you're located and where you plan to go, 4x4 may or may not be necessary. I've towed with 2WD duallies since 1996 and have never had a problem or been unable to go where I wanted.
Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezspdr View Post
This weekend my wife and I will be shopping for a truck to pull our new TT. The trailer, loaded will weigh about 7000lbs and I will be looking at both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton but would like to know what the optimum RA ratio would be. I would like it low enough to tow easy but not so low that the revs are so high.
There are all kinds of engne/tranny/axle/ new trucks /old trucks and 1/2 ton vs 3/4 tons and the brands out here. Your gonna' get the usual 'ya gotta' have a DRW to ....... and a 1/2 ton is a grocery getter on this forum so stay with us.
Are you looking at new or used trucks. Newer 1/2 ton trucks have the new 6 speed tranny and 3.08/3.42/3.55 up to a 3.73 axles. These trucks do not need a 4.10 or even 3.73 axle ratios in a few cases nor are they available.

Older 1/2 ton trucks ('08/'09) have the older 4 speed auto trannies and the 3.73/3.90/4.10 axle ratios are desired for towing 7000 lbs.

Lots of possibilities in the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton market for a 7000 lb trailer. Your going to have to narrow it down to the brand you want and 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton. Both will do the job with the right package depending on year and model.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote