Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #1

Short bed, sliders, Sidewinders, questions.....

I've been doing my homework because I currently have a 2001 Dodge Ram short bed and I'm purchasing used (newer) toy hauler very soon. Last year when I started looking, I purchased a hitch based on what the information I was given that the Curt slider would work just fine and allow me to tow any 5th wheel. Unfortunately thats not the case, as I'm finding out. I've found lots of toy haulers but not one will give enough cab to trailer clearance so that I'm not a paranoid driver making sure I dont turn to sharp so as not to hit the cab.
So I've been looking into pinbox extensions (RV5) and all new pinboxes like the Sidewinder and Aireborne Sidewinder but now I'm hearing so many opinion pro's and con's that I dont know what to do.

So to be clear, all I want is to be able to drive in the forward direction and perform full lock left to right turns while moving forward and not contact the cab. Parking and reverse will mean using the slider and thats fine. My hitch pin location is 41" from the cab and the slider moves about 12" back. Hope anyone can help or offer good advice besides purchasing a long bed. Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

It is hard to give advice without knowing what type of toy hauler (model name) you are buying. But here goes anyway.
First you need an extended pin box, such as an extended Lippert pin box 1621, model number as an example. Then a slider hitch of some manufacturer such as Curt/Reese. These two components should provide enough clearance for the truck and toy hauler to maneuver in all conditions.
I never make a full lock to lock turn when towing in city traffic or turning on to or from the highways or city streets with my set-up. I have a manual Reese 15K slider hitch and a Trailair extended pin box. When turning from one city street to another it is usually less than 88 deg. I have never needed to extend the slider hitch when I am driving on city streets and need to make a turn. I have had to extend the hitch when I back into the camp site or drive way at home to keep from hitting the cab.
I have a Dodge Mega Cab with a 6'6" box. Hope this helps?
Jim W.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #3

I had a sidewinder on my previous short bed rig. There's only one good thing about it - you never have to worry about hitting your truck once you're hooked up. The bad thing about it is that hooking up can be a problem. You have to line up your truck and sidewinder perfectly to hook up. If you're a little off in any direction, you can't hook up. Sometimes you'll get it on the first try and sometimes it may take several tries - especially if the ground is uneven. No one told me about this issue when I first got my sidewinder and I was really disappointed about the hook up problem. I got better at it with practice but I think that most people with sidewinders will tell you that you won't hook up on the first try every time.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you want a foolproof (although not inexpensive) solution, look at the Pullrite SuperGlide hitch.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

Thanks guys for the reply's. As I mentioned in my post, I already have a Curt E5 with the slider mounted in my truck because I was told a year ago that hitch would enable me to tow any 5th wheel as long as it had a factory extended pinbox. Well that doesn't seem to be the case and now I have a brand new hitch that I'm afraid to use. I'd get an auto slide but spending another couple grand isn't possible unless I put off getting a trailer.
So in regards to RustyJC post, "foolproof"?.....not really.....but fairly safe unless I'm simply to stupid to forget pushing the slider back when reversing is more what I was hopping for. I've towed all kinds of bumper trailers for years and never jackknifed once so I would hope that I'd be paying attention a little with a 5th wheel. Maybe that's not a logical way to look at this either.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

When I ran across the Sidewinder, I was hopping that was the solution to my problem but I'm becoming more concerned with Sidewinders the more I talk to people.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveatpa View Post
....unless I'm simply too stupid to forget pushing the slider back when reversing.....
Yep, that's what the Pullrite SuperGlide prevents, as well as protects during sharp turns when going forward.

Rusty
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #8

I would expect a Superglide and extedede pin box to solve your problem, and it should be 'foolproof'--unless you were to go past 90d. 53" should barely clear the cab, shouldn't it? You have the 6 1/2' bed?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

Take a look at the Reese Revolution, we ordered it on our 5th wheel for use on a short bed Tundra. With that system, a sidewinder system is not needed...atleast according to Reese and 2 hitch dealers. We are still waiting for our 5th wheel to come in and confirm all will work.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #10

Hmmm, I had a '01 2500 Dodge/Cummins quad cab short bed with a 16k Reese manual slider. It towed a 1994 27' 5er and my present 28' 5er with no problems. My current 2500 Dodge/Cummins short bed is 3" shorter and still no issues with the 28 footer.

IMO you need to contact the hitch maker and listen to them.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Hmmm, I had a '01 2500 Dodge/Cummins quad cab short bed with a 16k Reese manual slider. It towed a 1994 27' 5er and my present 28' 5er with no problems. My current 2500 Dodge/Cummins short bed is 3" shorter and still no issues with the 28 footer.

IMO you need to contact the hitch maker and listen to them.
Conversely, there's a member of this forum that tows a Keystone 5th wheel with a 2003 Dodge/Cummins 2500 quad cab short bed. Both of the C pillars are dented from contact with the 5th wheel. Some 5th wheel/truck/hitch combos will clear under most conditions, while others won't. Just because you're lucky doesn't mean the OP will be.

Rusty
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like Joe said, install a Pullrite and tow worry free. If you keep the Curt Roller as it's called an extended pin box will help and you should have no problems. The only way to be 100% sure is to install and tow. We do this as a customer service if they purchase a 5th wheel from us. We install both hitches and from what I've seen you should be fine with the Curt Roller.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I would expect a Superglide and extedede pin box to solve your problem, and it should be 'foolproof'--unless you were to go past 90d. 53" should barely clear the cab, shouldn't it? You have the 6 1/2' bed?
Joe
I believe the 2001 short bed is 6'6" or 6'5".
Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadswife View Post
Take a look at the Reese Revolution, we ordered it on our 5th wheel for use on a short bed Tundra. With that system, a sidewinder system is not needed...atleast according to Reese and 2 hitch dealers. We are still waiting for our 5th wheel to come in and confirm all will work.
I was under the impression that the Reese Revolution is the same exact thing as the Sidewinder and/or that the Sidewinder was made by Reese.