Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #15

im just thinkin that i already have a gn hitch on my truck and if i could use that with no probs.......why not.
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #16

I'm not a fan of the converter kits to make your 5th wheel hook to a goose ball. The extra length acts like a cheater bar, multiplying the load on the trailer's frame. Using one will void the warranty on many 5th wheel frames.

Usually with the B&W your options are from just slightly ahead of the axle center line, to several inches ahead of the axle. If you use a plum line or whatever, my guess would be that you can use the farthest rear setting and still be OK. I haven't messed with one on a short bed, though.

That still may not give you enough clearance turning.

If that's the case, if it were me I'd look at welding the 4" hole up, and installing a super-glide or other auto slide hitch (or swap to a long bed truck).

If I didn't I know sooner or later I'd have impatient traffic behind me or I wouldn't be paying attention, and I'd crunch the back of the cab and corner of the 5th wheel...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #17

Thanks Jeff ITD. I will try the plum line to get a more specific measurement to see if I can take back to the next setting.

FYI...I called Lippert about the tork settings on my pin box...100-110 ft/lbs.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #18

Companion on a short bed

I have a very similar setup. I went from a Colibert Gooseneck adapter to the Companion. I did a lot of research; the final straw was talking to a local trailer repair shop (trusted friend's) about gooseneck conversions. He gets around $5K to re-engineer/repair the frame on 5ers with these conversions; this includes gutting the front of the trailer, removing the cap, peeling off the roof, etc. That was enough for me. Many, many folks will tell you that they get by with it just fine - comes down to this: are you willing to take the risk with your 5er? Your trailer, your decision.

That being said, I am very impressed with the entire Companion setup. I put mine at the tallest, furthest back position. The front cap on my Cougar is tapered for use on short bed trucks. I put it all together for the first time last week and drove around. Very stable, no changes noted from the gooseneck adapter setup. The best part is I can look right down the top of the hitch when I'm hitching up. I went to a large parking lot and with a spotter checked just how far I could turn. I hit 45 degrees easy. I figure that's equal to any bumper pull travel trailer - they never complain that they can't hit 90 degrees!

Your trailer, your decision. Do research sufficient to make you comfortable with the decision you make. Opinions are worth what you pay for them.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Torque specs for kingpin boxes:
Grade 2 Grade5 Grade8
1/2" 45lbs 75lbs 115lbs
9/16" 70lbs 115lbs 165lbs
5/8" 95lbs 150lbs 225lbs
3/4" 165lbs 290lbs 400lbs
per the Demco installation instruction.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX-CTD View Post
any of u gurus have any input on the 5er w gooseneck hitch? good.............bad?
Try a search on "gooseneck adapter" and you'll find plenty of reading.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #21

I have an 06 Mega Cab 3500 with a B&W companion. I pull an 07 Gulfstream Sedona. The hitch is set to the highest and furthest back position. The trailer nose is sloped to assist with turning radius. Here are some observations.

When I weighed at the NM State line I am actually unloading (400 lbs) the front axle when I hitch up the trailer. The trailer will still hit the cab. I am considering a sliding hitch or a longbed truck. The 5th Airborne hitch seems like it would move more weight rearward and give the trailer a 2" lever to further unload my front axle. The automatic sliders seem to take a lot of maintanence. Still considering all options .

If you have another trailer that is a gooseneck (I do), I found an insert for the front of the gooseneck that has a kingpin instead of the 2 5/16" ball connection. The utility trailer now actually has a shorter lever to stress the front of the trailer.

If you are careful it will never hit...but when that electric pedastal is not going to clear your sharp turn and you just need to back up 10"...then your back window explodes... I should get my truck back from the body shop next week. My wife swears we kink it more than that backing from the alley into our back yard...but physics says different.

Just my FYI. YMMV I always watch with interest for new options.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #22

I was using a gooseneck with my super-lite 5er. Didn't seem to be any problems in the 8000-lbs range. Mfr and dealer were okay with it. However, when that got totalled and I went up to my 10K lbs camper, it was on a totally different frame, and it was reccomended by both dealer and mfr to NOT use the conversion.

As previously stated, the mfr said that frame warranty would be voided if I used the conversion.

I had them yank my B&W (*sniff* *sob*) and put in a reese slider. It's the very basic model 16000 lbs hitch, but it works well. Even with the hitch in the forward position, I can jacknife because of the rounded corners on my camper.

One thing I noticed though, was my B&W sat about four inches forward from the true fifth wheel. I'm sure that helps with my cab clearance problems. I have a dodge, so not sure you'll see the same thing on your Chevy.

Good luck either way!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #23

I run with my companion in the top hole as far forward as possible, farther back takes too much weight off the front axle. It made driving it like the truck was on roller skates. You might do as I've done, extend the pin box a little to get enough room for turns. After some research I found that Trailair said not to go over six inches in extending a pin box, so I added four inches to my Mor/ryde and have had no troubles turning, and it's been that way for several years and many a mile.

Vernon & Martha
02 F250 PSD 7.3 4x4
00 Montana 3280rl
Noman'sland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #24

I just installed the 5th airborne with the sidewinder on our Jayco. I changed my hitch to a Reese 18 K. I love this set-up no more worring about getting too close. Hey the best part is no arguments with the wife. Like are you watching ???? Works a little different backing up too, a learning curve.

Life is good E-trailer best price.