Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
When we bought our 33' fifth wheel, we had a 2005 crew cab F350 with the short bed. Towing our fiver with that truck, was a nightmare! Each time I towed, it was a white knuckle experience. We sold that truck and bought a 1997 crew cab F350, with the long bed. The difference was night and day.

Last year, I came across a 1999 crew cab F350 dually and bought it. It tows our fiver almost effortlessly. The stability increase was very noticeable.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One big problem is the short beds are mostly SRW and that limits the RVWR and GAWR. Lots of short beds pulling way too much trailer.

Ken

Old 03-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #17

Barbra, it really depends on the trailer being within the weight specs of your truck and the pinbox setup.
I have a shortbox 3/4 ton without a slider and have never had issues getting in the tight spots. every 5er/truck setup is different.
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
When we bought our 33' fifth wheel, we had a 2005 crew cab F350 with the short bed. Towing our fiver with that truck, was a nightmare! Each time I towed, it was a white knuckle experience. We sold that truck and bought a 1997 crew cab F350, with the long bed. The difference was night and day.

Last year, I came across a 1999 crew cab F350 dually and bought it. It tows our fiver almost effortlessly. The stability increase was very noticeable.

You clearly have a confidence issue, or something very wrong with your setup. My past TV/TT was short bed with a 35 foot TT. My current is short bed - 37' 5ver. Both I towed with one hand on the wheel and zero worries. As for towing a 5th with a short bed, I wasn't interested in a slider so I bought a trailer that didn't require it.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #19

I'm with the long bed crowd. My first rig was a short bed. Now that I have a long bed, I wouldn't go back. With a long bed there is nothing to do and nothing to worry about. You drive, you back up, you make U-turns, you just go and enjoy.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Depends on what you want the truck for. I have had both. If you want it to tow a fifth wheel without any problems and have more control with the longer wheel base get a long bed. If you want a cute truck you can park in the garage get a short bed.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Depends on what you want the truck for. I have had both. If you want it to tow a fifth wheel without any problems and have more control with the longer wheel base get a long bed. If you want a cute truck you can park in the garage get a short bed.
Well thought out post here. Short beds have problems towing 5vers and are cute. Wow, full of facts. Nice work brother.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It depends on what brand truck you have also, the GM extended cabs have a 6.5' bed and the crew cabs have a 5.5' bed. So if you want to tow with a 5.5' bed, there are some that don't recommend this. I have had an extended cab dually 8' bed and now a crew cab dually 8'bed, and you couldn't give me anyuthing else, wnless it was a freightliner crew cab with a 9' hauler bed, lol. But you need to decied what you want, or better, what you are comfortable with.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
It depends on what brand truck you have also, the GM extended cabs have a 6.5' bed and the crew cabs have a 5.5' bed. So if you want to tow with a 5.5' bed, there are some that don't recommend this. I have had an extended cab dually 8' bed and now a crew cab dually 8'bed, and you couldn't give me anyuthing else, wnless it was a freightliner crew cab with a 9' hauler bed, lol. But you need to decied what you want, or better, what you are comfortable with.
Frank

Good point. Everyone has a different comfort level. Our 37 foot 14k toyhauler is a dream to tow behind our SRW short bed. I couldn't imagine needing anything more as I pull it at 70-75 with one hand on the wheel. Others may need more to make them comfortable.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Well thought out post here. Short beds have problems towing 5vers and are cute. Wow, full of facts. Nice work brother.
LOL ...... just one of his typical replies.
My cute short bed truck has the same GVWR FAWR/RAWR/GCWR/engine/tranny as a long bed truck. In fact my short bed has more usable payload than the long bed truck simply because its lighter in weight.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #25

Had a short bed F350, now I have a long bed dually. When I was younger I worked on a farm, so I have towed many different items. For me, the 8' dually crew is the best pickup setup, for stability.
Now that said parking, turning, mileage... all the draw backs exist also.
Moral of the story... different people prefer different vehicles... not even getting into the Chevy, Dodge, Ford thing. :0
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
LOL ...... just one of his typical replies.
My cute short bed truck has the same GVWR FAWR/RAWR/GCWR/engine/tranny as a long bed truck. In fact my short bed has more usable payload than the long bed truck simply because its lighter in weight.
Exactly, I have 11.5k GVWR which is more than a lot of LB DRW trucks just a short time back. Like I said above, it's all about what the individual is comfortable with. In rethinking the above post, I have to admit, I do like being able to park my truck in the garage and I do think it looks a lot better than long bed crew cabs with DRW. Not sure if it's cute, but sure looks nice backing out of the garage.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #27

Heres a question for towing with short box. I camp off highway all the time, offroad parks, ect... so whats better to use for that. Manual slider, auto slider, or one of those side winder pin boxes?

The sidewinder pin boxes seem like they wouldnt be strong enough and just asking for problems. Anyone use one or any input for off highway camping?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle22 View Post
Heres a question for towing with short box. I camp off highway all the time, offroad parks, ect... so whats better to use for that. Manual slider, auto slider, or one of those side winder pin boxes?

The sidewinder pin boxes seem like they wouldnt be strong enough and just asking for problems. Anyone use one or any input for off highway camping?

If I was going to choose one of the options you listed, it would be an auto slider. However, there is one choice you left out which is the one I actually went with. Buy a 5ver that doesn't need any of those things. Ours doesn't. Any of the Heartland brands with the Titanium nose don't need sliders which is one of the reasons we looked at them in the first place. They make three different toyhaulers like this from Cyclone and Road Warrior and two regular 5vers from Big Horn.