Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

Should I be concerned if a tow vehicle has towed overloaded

Hi,

Today I test drove a 2010 Toyota Seqouia Plantinum, the salesman told me the previous owners used to tow a travel trailer. Upon checking the GPS they has driven from mid Michigan to WV and FL on numerous occasions.

My concern is that it was used to tow overloaded. The salesman did say they could contact the previous owner to find out what weight TT they towed.

I am not purchasing it to tow a trailer at present as have a class A.

I ask as I know plenty of folk who tow overloaded (I am not condoning this).

Thanks,

Unicorn Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

I look at it as "Was the equipment used to 100% capacity and above for an extended period of time" If the equipment went to the max, then it has been abused.

rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
I look at it as "Was the equipment used to 100% capacity and above for an extended period of time" If the equipment went to the max, then it has been abused.
Same feeling here. I dont think there is any way of knowing.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #4

That might give you a bargaining chip on a top of the line big Toyota SUV. If you can not get a really sweet deal I would also be quesy about buying a vehicle used to tow long distances.

Looking at 8 year old Big SUV's there are other nice vehicles like Lexus LX, GM Suburban, Ford Navigator, other Toyota Sequia's, and others. I guess what I am saying, there are other big SUV's that were not used for towing.

Towing would put more ware and tear on the SUV.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
That might give you a bargaining chip on a top of the line big Toyota SUV. If you can not get a really sweet deal I would also be quesy about buying a vehicle used to tow long distances.

Looking at 8 year old Big SUV's there are other nice vehicles like Lexus LX, GM Suburban, Ford Navigator, other Toyota Sequia's, and others. I guess what I am saying, there are other big SUV's that were not used for towing.

Towing would put more ware and tear on the SUV.
The deal is fairly decent already, but my brother who works in the trade reckons there is another 1 to 1.5k leeway. A Lexus would be nice but about 10k more expensive for same year. Ford and Suburbans of the same year are rusted to hell up here.

What I like about the Sequoia is the air ride and electonics package.

I have the option to take to work today as dealer as nearby.

If I am anyway unsure I will walk away.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #6

ask the dealer if it is ok for you to call the prior owner?

most folks would be willing to talk with you.
he might be willing to give you all kinds of info...

i would.. but i'd suggest getting your list together of all the questions you want to ask. i wouldn't want to talk to the same customer repeatedly. and i wouldn't want to talk to multiple customers.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
ask the dealer if it is ok for you to call the prior owner?

most folks would be willing to talk with you.
he might be willing to give you all kinds of info...

i would.. but i'd suggest getting your list together of all the questions you want to ask. i wouldn't want to talk to the same customer repeatedly. and i wouldn't want to talk to multiple customers.
I could indeed ask. It has has 3 owners though. I will look at the Carfax first and see what comes up.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:11 AM   #8

Personally, I would pass if there is any question about it being abused. Based on your description, that truck has been well used. 3 owners and several known long trips. Unless you are just stuck on that truck, keep looking.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

Today I test drove a 2010 Toyota Seqouia Plantinum, the salesman told me the previous owners used to tow a travel trailer. Upon checking the GPS they has driven from mid Michigan to WV and FL on numerous occasions.

My concern is that it was used to tow overloaded. The salesman did say they could contact the previous owner to find out what weight TT they towed.

Thanks,
If it were me and I was truly interested in the vehicle, I would do exactly what the salesman recommended . . . talk to the prior owner and see exactly what they towed.

If it was popup well under the towing capacity, who cares. If it was a large trailer at or above the capacity, I would probably pass personally with those extended trips. At least the salesman was honest with you, that can be rare.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Thanks both,

I am at dealership as we speak looking through the carfax
and getting it put on a lift to inpsect the underbody. If both are ok I will then contact the previous owner and bring to an independant mechanic.

I have had two Toypta 4 runners in the laat 5 years and love them, but looking for more space and upgraded electronics package.

The v8 is just so nice also:-)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #11

If I have any doubt at all then I just don't buy it. Plenty of other vehicles out there.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
I'm not seeing anything in your post that suggests it was overloaded. Just cause some travels a far distance doesn't mean they're overloaded.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #13

Thanks all,

I am goinh to go ahead with it.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #14

Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by the fact that the next owner of a used vehicle can check the GPS in the vehicle and determine when and where it was driven thru out its lifetime.

Tags
tow