Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
Took a new 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn diesel for a drive last Friday. It would never have any trouble doing what I would ask of it. People tell me not to get a diesel for a daily driver because the engine oil will never get up to temp. On the relatively flat land drive that lasted about 6-7 miles. the oil temp was 180f. My shortest drive to a store would be a little over 10 miles, so I don't believe I would have trouble with it as a daily driver.

I just got home from talking to a Ford Dealer about a new 7.3 F250 in an attempt to have some idea about the price for an XLT F250 with that package. I should be getting an email soon with that information.

Consumer Report lists the 2018 6.2 F250 as most reliable truck produced by the big 3 in the past few years.

I could have the nicest, most powerful, most beautiful truck available, but it would be worthless to me if it is plagued with problems and spends a lot of time getting repaired.

As I mentioned above, I am not nearly as concerned with the drivetrane as I am with all of the electronics and possibly water leaks that some trucks have experienced.

I am leaning towards F250 if I go gas and Ram 2500 if I go diesel. The gas should have no problem with what I want it to do, but the diesel will absolutely have no problem with what I would ask of it and would most likely be considered as overkill.

The 7.3 would be hedging the bet that gas would easily do everything I want, but there is the fact that no one knows what kind of mpg it will get (which is well established with the 6.2 and the Cummings) and there is a risk of teething problems with a brand new engine and brand new 10 speed transmission.
Just about any gas or diesel 3/4 ton and up truck will do what you need it to do. Why you are fretting over MPG ratings with the minuscule amount of mileage you drive I don't know.

Heavy duty trucks generally don't have posted MPG ratings anyway as they are exempt. You will need to rely on others' experiences and reviews. There's a website with a solid database of actual MPG. I honestly dont think much about it unless you're towing 30 000 miles a year and want to save 1-2 MPG.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #30

1. There is no g at the end of cummins.
2. Any of the ones ive ever come across have been far from trouble free.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #31

The truck was brought out of storage and now is being used. The driver will now put average miles on whatever truck he buys.

The 2020 Fords are probably still 45 - 60 days away from hitting the dealerships. I was told by my unreliable Ford dealer the cost for the 7.3 will be $2000. That is believable. The diesel up charge is around $10,000.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #32

They are all good trucks. I have had them all. Buy a dsl if thats what you want, that is what i did, if not buy a gasser.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The truck was brought out of storage and now is being used. The driver will now put average miles on whatever truck he buys.

The 2020 Fords are probably still 45 - 60 days away from hitting the dealerships. I was told by my unreliable Ford dealer the cost for the 7.3 will be $2000. That is believable. The diesel up charge is around $10,000.

$2,000 for the 7.3 10 speed combo is reasonable considering what is going into the engine and the 10 gears should be able to keep the engine in it's torque band while towing.
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #34

7.3 gas

Just ordered a new 2020 with the 7.3 gas engine. Price is $1700. Lot cheaper than diesel. I am happy to get rid of 2011 6.7 diesel. We have a local towing company that just got rid of their diesel ramp trucks and went to gas because of emission problems. Ford would not warranty. Said they were not operating the trucks properly.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brialin View Post
Just ordered a new 2020 with the 7.3 gas engine. Price is $1700. Lot cheaper than diesel. I am happy to get rid of 2011 6.7 diesel. We have a local towing company that just got rid of their diesel ramp trucks and went to gas because of emission problems. Ford would not warranty. Said they were not operating the trucks properly.
Nice, I hope you come back and give us a review.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brialin View Post
$1,700 for that engine and the 10r140 transmission is very reasonable. I read that the diesel and 7.3 both get the 10r140 which is rated for 1400 newton meters or a little over 1,000 ft lb tq, which would definitely be able to stand up to the 7.3.

I spent a bunch of hours online today, trying to find out more information on it. I’m leaning towards the XLT and I read some of the things that were standard on the 2019 Lariat are now standard on the 2020 XLT which is good news.

I wish Ford would flip the switch for their online build your own 2020 truck.

Which model truck did you order?
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #37

Agree, $1,700 for the 7.3 and 10 speed is a very reasonable deal indeed.

I went into my dealer about a month ago and priced a 2019 6.2 with the options I wanted so I can compare the price to the 2020's.

That 10 speed should really help fuel economy driving solo. Can't wait to start seeing the 2020 Superduty.

I hope I can hold out until TFL and other reviewers can drive the 7.3 and give their opinion.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Agree, $1,700 for the 7.3 and 10 speed is a very reasonable deal indeed.

I went into my dealer about a month ago and priced a 2019 6.2 with the options I wanted so I can compare the price to the 2020's.

That 10 speed should really help fuel economy driving solo. Can't wait to start seeing the 2020 Superduty.

I hope I can hold out until TFL and other reviewers can drive the 7.3 and give their opinion.
I priced a 2019 6.2 a couple weeks ago that was a 4x4. I want 4x2 with limited slip which should be pretty close to equaling out the cost of the 7.3, but I doubt that the will be giving the discounts for the 2020 that they are giving for the 2019.

I’m hoping TFL gets one before I commit myself as well.

Daughter is listing her house tomorrow. It is 10 minutes from downtown Seattle which should aid in a quick sale and repayment to me for a loan that would pay most of the cost for a new truck.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #39

Skip the XLT and go base Lariat. The manual single zone AC on my 2017 XLT Premium package drives me bonkers.

What's even worse, is when you remote start it on a cold day, it will auto turn on the heated seats and defrost, etc.....then when you go to drive the truck, it puts it back to the last "manual" setting, which in my case is usually blasting A/C on full cold.

The truck knows very well what the temperature is and can automatically adjust, but it's the "manual ac" so it puts it back grrrrrrrr.

Seriously, my $1000 beater has automatic AC. My $60k truck doesn't. Skip the XLT....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #40

The Lariat trim with the Lariat Ultimate Package gives you push button start which allows you to keep the keys in your pocket. You can lock the truck with the key pad on the door. You can also open a locked door with the key in your pocket, get in and start the truck with the push button. Don't need to ever take the keys out of your pocket.

So the only time I need the keys is to get back into the house.

Maybe the push button start will be offered on the 2020 XLT trim.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:42 AM   #41

Pushbutton start and automatic ac? Of course the ac is going to be set for what it was set for last. How else would it work?

I have keyless ignition on the hd and i like it. I can also see where that would cause alot of problems too. Hd forums has alot of stories about fobs going dead in the middle of nowhere or fobs being close enough to start the bike and then being left at the house. Dumb stuff. I know for sure i wouldnt want keyless start in the work trucks. I can see someone hopping in an already started pickup and hitting the road for 200 miles to find out they dont have the fob.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:24 AM   #42

Quote:
The Lariat trim with the Lariat Ultimate Package gives you push button start which allows you to keep the keys in your pocket. You can lock the truck with the key pad on the door. You can also open a locked door with the key in your pocket, get in and start the truck with the push button. Don't need to ever take the keys out of your pocket.

So the only time I need the keys is to get back into the house.

Maybe the push button start will be offered on the 2020 XLT trim.
As nice as the convenience may be, pushbutton start makes like so much easier for thieves too. That pesky mechanical lock and tumbler system was an extra obstacle thieves had to contend with. There are 50$ devices out there to clone a FOB signal and they are gone in well under 60 seconds.

Stopping some vehicles with pushbutton start in emergency situations is painfully slow.

I need to start liking it though, I am 90% sure my next vehicle will undoubtedly have it. It is so cheap for OEs to make vs a real lock.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote