RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

Should I buy a 2020

I may not need a new tow vehicle since I have a F250 V10 but I'm going about 2K lbs heavier with a new fifth wheel later this year and looked into a new truck. New fifth I'm guessing will come out to about 12.5K loaded

I like fords but I'm shying away from a first model year transmission. I like the idea of a 10 speed but being the first year out what's your take? Are you a fearless early adopter?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

me id pass on a 1st year. always problems.

consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #3

I'd use it as an excuse to force yourself to save more for a 2021.
swavescatter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

I've got a 2020 F450 on order.
I ain't skeered.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #5

I like the new redesigned anything. Smart Phones, Computers, Cars, Trucks, RV's, and Televisions. 25 years ago no. But 25 years of engineering and scientist improving their craft, I have no fear now.

I just bought a redesigned 2019 Nissan Altima with 85% different parts in the engine. But years ago, I bought a 2006 Honda Ridgeline 1st year, and 2011 F-150 5.0 Coyote 1st year, a 2012 6.7 litre Ford diesel 2nd year, a 2017 F-250 redesigned aluminum alloy truck with new parts in the 6.2 litre engine. No problems with any of these vehicle to date.

Now, you have enough history to look back at problems with old designs. Look at 2011 trucks and see what problems there are. Like the Ford 3.5 Eco-Boost, even that engine has been mostly reliable. Ram with the new 6.4 lite engine in 2014 I think has been ok.

The Cummins is all new, new block made with graphite infused iron, new higher pressure injectors etc. Same for GM and will be the same for Ford. All brand new engines.

Now to be fair, the new trucks, phones, computers, televisions, cars have been much better than the previous generation. Just about everything I own now is the best I ever owned in my life.

Members KDauto or Jshopes81 IMHO are good resorces plus YouTube Hot Shot drivers comments.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #6

Im with tuffr. I wouldnt be afraid of a first year. So much goes into r&d in these things and the stakes are so high that the makers know they cant afford to screw up. On top of that youve also got a warranty to cover anything that does break. Our 13 ford fusion was the first year for those, its had a few recalls but has been a pretty decent little car. It was also my first brand new car purchase.

The 2020s are different enough that i could see more than an incremental improvement over 10 years. The superdutys ran the same frame from 99-16 with just some bolt ons being different. When they come out with a reliable emissions system, theres a possibility ill be game for a new truck.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm sure it'll be fine. However, I'd negotiate an extended warranty on the deal. But, I'd do that no matter what you buy.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #8

Buy the new Ford with the Godzilla big block. If the transmission fails, dump the truck and buy a Dodge with the ASIN.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #9

I ain't afraid of no Ford.

Nor am I afraid of a GM or Ram. All three hire smart engineers to make trucks more powerful, more reliable, more capable and more efficient.

We are living in the best of truck times.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

I have been weighing the decision of buying a new truck or a low mile used truck and then trying to decide if I want to go gas which should meet my needs, with a possible near full throttle at times or diesel that will undoubtedly meet my needs with a small push of the go pedal.

I’m reading everything I can find on different trucks from different years and reading about problems that people have had as well as successes. I also have been checking Consumer Reports and watching YouTube videos until my eyes glaze over and I begin mixing up which options are on which trucks.

After everything that I have read and watched, my greatest concerns are not with the engine, drivetrain, frame, suspension or body.

My greatest concern falls under the electronics category and the extra bells and whistles that are so nice to have.

With so much depending on the new touch screen, if it dies, you lose control of a bunch of stuff and it’s expensive to replace when warranties expire.

My friend’s father-in-law was on vacation back east when the def tank electronics acted up. The dealer towed his truck and trailer in and were unable to fix the problem. He was given the option of getting full msrp on his old truck to be applied to a 1 year newer truck or exchange for a brand new same year truck with the same options. He was very lucky, because I’ve read about people that had to spend thousands to repair their problems or lost the use of their truck for weeks or months and having to pay for a rental truck as well as make a truck payment for a truck they could not use.

I read about one person that bought his new truck, drove off the lot and experienced problems almost immediately. He drove around the block and was back at the dealer in minutes and 3 weeks later he was still without his new truck.

I realize that when people have problems with their truck, they post about the problems, but when everything is working great, you don’t hear from them.

Going through Consumer Reports and looking at 3/4 & 1 ton reliability histories for the big three is a little disconcerting. The most reliable of the big 3 is 2018 F250 w/6.2 engine and I was greatly surprised that the 2011-2012 Ram diesel
2500 that I have heard so many good things about, rated poorly.

I want a new or newer truck, but dread winning the bad luck lottery after paying 40k-60k.
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #11

The 1st thing to understand is Consumer Reports rates reliability vs the current vehicles. They are all better.

The worse vehicle today is better than the best vehicle from 1990 for example.

Another example is Fords 3.5 Eco-Boost. They sold a few million since 2011. It is easy to go on the internet and find issues with tuned Eco-Boost but the factory Eco-Boost is probably the most reliable gasoline turbo engine ever built.

Now, I am easy on stuff. I don't push the window down button like a gorilla. In early 2012, I bought a 2012 Ford SuperDuty diesel King Ranch. Had that truck for 6.5 years and all bells and whistles still worked.

If you watch 'Revv up your engine' Scotty on YouTube it is true that one cheap part can cause a problem. Scotty hates cheap parts. Now to pick the manufacturer that uses the fewest cheap parts.

What worries me a little bit is the complexity of the modern diesel engine and its pollution control system. In 2020 I think all 3 manufacturers have increased the fuel pressure to over 30,000psi. This has two benefits. 1. It produces more power. 2. It produces less pollution.
The cleaner burn reduces the number of regens the truck does and is easier on the EGR and is a win win imho.

One of the things I really want to do for my own knowledge is go test drive a few 2011 trucks and see how they are holding up. That would give an indication how well the newer trucks will hold up.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #12

The new trucks are awesome. You are way too stressed about it.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The 1st thing to understand is Consumer Reports rates reliability vs the current vehicles. They are all better.

The worse vehicle today is better than the best vehicle from 1990 for example.

Another example is Fords 3.5 Eco-Boost. They sold a few million since 2011. It is easy to go on the internet and find issues with tuned Eco-Boost but the factory Eco-Boost is probably the most reliable gasoline turbo engine ever built.

Now, I am easy on stuff. I don't push the window down button like a gorilla. In early 2012, I bought a 2012 Ford SuperDuty diesel King Ranch. Had that truck for 6.5 years and all bells and whistles still worked.

If you watch 'Revv up your engine' Scotty on YouTube it is true that one cheap part can cause a problem. Scotty hates cheap parts. Now to pick the manufacturer that uses the fewest cheap parts.

What worries me a little bit is the complexity of the modern diesel engine and its pollution control system. In 2020 I think all 3 manufacturers have increased the fuel pressure to over 30,000psi. This has two benefits. 1. It produces more power. 2. It produces less pollution.
The cleaner burn reduces the number of regens the truck does and is easier on the EGR and is a win win imho.

One of the things I really want to do for my own knowledge is go test drive a few 2011 trucks and see how they are holding up. That would give an indication how well the newer trucks will hold up.
OMG, I hope you are not quoting Scotty Kilmer as being an actual trained mechanic???

That guy is only there for sensationalism and to entertain th brain dead. He is like syphilis, hard to get rid of.

Some of his videos make me sick to my stomach. Some are dangerous, some are just stupid. Removing a catalytic converter and giving it a bath in soapy water was one of the stupidest things I've seen. Hey, it's on the internet, it must be true.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
The new trucks are awesome. You are way too stressed about it.
The new diesel trucks are beyond awesome. Until theyre not. If theyre not under warranty a fuel system repair on a ford can break a person. They drive great, they pull like a freight train, but when they go bad, its bad.

Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote