Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

should I get airbags to stop the rocking?

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with tow package
2016 KZ-Vision v22BHS
I have Husky WD with sway bar

Before putting trailer on front height 36 / rear height 38.5
After putting trailer on and setting WD hitch front 36 / rear 36

I'm thinking the guys who installed the WD set it up that way so it would be level so I'm not too concerned about the rear dropping 2.5 (or should I be?)

We towed the trailer home 120 miles. Truck had no trouble pulling the load. Never felt sway or out of control. The only thing we noticed is that when the highway was not smooth we could feel it in the truck as if the trailer was gently rocking fwd and back. We just thought this was normal for trailers (we are new to towing) and part of the fact the trailer and truck are close to same weight.

I have heard that if I add these Airlift 1000 (link below) it will reduce/eliminate this rocking feeling. Again... it is NOT rocking side to side... it is just a faint feeling like something is tugging on your bumper...

(https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-60818-10...s_a_1_1&sr=8-1)

We are leaving tomorrow on a 1,600 mile road trip so I can't install them before I leave - however, I could order them and have them waiting at my destination so I could install them before we return home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #2

I would install better shocks before the airbags.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Yes I have the airlift 1000 on my Ram and it helps significantly with that fwd and back tugging feeling
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the same truck. I have the Air Lift 1000 air bags. When the trailer is hooked up, the front and back of the truck are both 36". That is consistent whether it is done solely by the WD or if the air springs are fully inflated.

If my WD is set up a little too strong, I describe the ride as kind of jerky. The stuff in the fridge and the cupboards gets tossed around. If my WD is set up a little too weak, the handling feels kind of floaty, as if the front end is floating around a little light.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #5

I would put some good shocks on the truck and then play with the hitch settings. Small changes to see what difference it makes.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

I think what you are describing is "porpoising", and I believe that happens if there is not enough weight on the tongue. If the trailer is perfectly level, or slightly back heavy, when it bounces it kind of rocks back away from your truck, lifting the hitch. It then rocks back forward and pushes down on the hitch. The truck dips a bit and then pushes back up and the whole thing repeats. You can play with the set up if your hitch some to make sure you have enough weight and that the hitch ball is not higher than the trailer's tongue. I can't speak to the airbags, but I've had that porpoise effect and was able to mostly eliminate it by getting out the manual for my E2 hitch and doing the set up again. Best of luck!
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote