Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #15

Thank you to everyone who posted! FWIW I see that every TV is a compromise in some aspect whether its too much or too little or too spartan with features or too many to count. In my 'try to match' options between the TV's I am looking at and a similar config with Ford, the end price jumps from high 20's to mid-40's! So there is a difference (price and option range) to go from a mid-size to a 1/2 ton size getting features similar but never the same. My quest is still on-going as I've not gotten a real understanding about the 15-20% rule in this thread that I was hoping someone would bring up yet touted and expounded on elsewhere so the research continues till the light-bulb glows bright for me! My appreciation for all those who provided excellent real-life examples and experiences as this does shape my understanding positively! I got a real laugh on the TT pulling the TV! Hilliarious!!
TravelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #16

Listen, it is really simple. And I hope this will turn the light switch on. Disregard price, and get the biggest tow vehicle (TV) you feel comfortable with. Once you have it, load it up like it will be equipped when traveling and go to the scales. Then look on the drivers door post and get the trucks GVWR. Subtract the scaled weight from that number and you have the real world net cargo carrying capacity. A typical 1/2 ton will have a real world cargo capacity of around 800 pounds. A similarly equipped 3/4 ton will be around 1800 pounds and a 1/4 ton ( mini type truck) will be around 500 pounds. Manufacturers web sites will give you the vehicles GCWR and again subtract the scaled weight from GCWR will give you a good starting point for how much trailer the truck can pull. Remember, the smaller the motor the more strain to pull it's rated load.
No one has ever complained about too much truck, but there are literally hundreds of posts wondering if the truck is big enough. If you believe that you will NEVER ever get a bigger trailer, then get the 1/2 ton offering of your choice. If you even have a remote chance of upgrading to more trailer, get a 3/4 ton truck. You will never regret it. The bigger trucks will have heavier duty tires, wheels, brakes, axles, and frames. So they always make for a better tow vehicle, compared to a comparably equipped smaller truck.
Now as for the 80% rule. Some posters around here believe that when towing, especially in the far west that you should not exceed 80% of the vehicles GCWR. I live in the far west and really do not understand that train of thought. I have towed heavy all over the west and have had no problems towing at the vehicles rated GCWR. It may possibly take me a bit more fuel to climb the hills at max GCWR but I really doubt it. Now, exceeding the vehicles factory rated limits is another story for another time.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 80% rule is based on using 80% of the manufacturers tow rating for a loaded trailer...not dry weight. The reason for this is that when the manufacturer publishes a tow rating, he wants the number as large as possible, so they use a base model truck, no cargo, no options, not even a hitch, and only a 150 driver and no other passengers....I doubt if you will buy a stripped truck and only you in it.

By the time you add up the extras and cargo and hitch you will have eaten into the so called tow capacity. So as a short cut, you can use 80% of the tow rating, and look for trailer when loaded do not exceed this number...provide you do not have a large family and/or carry a lot of cargo.

By the same token, the dry weight of the trailer in the brochure will not include any item listed as an option. So you need to figure adding things like the A/C, microwave, Television, awning, batteries, propane and them all of your supplies. Typically on a smaller trailer you will be 750# or more over the dry weight.

Good luck shopping.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also remember that your weight will vary from the brouchures - TTmfgs sometimes use the real wt of the first model built - others use computed values based on the wt of the individual parts. Few if any actually weigh your tt. As I have said before the only numbers you can believe are the GVWRs and the CGWR of the truck. As for the difference between a work style truck and the King Ranch trim level is more $$$ than weight - trim pieces and plastic only add 20-30 lbs. I presume that your Ford comps were both F150 and not a Ranger vs a 150. I priced out a Chev 1/2T LTZ with the Max Tow pkg (similar drivetrains) to a 2500HD LT were both around 40K.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #19

Appalachian Campers
A 1/2 ton will get the job done but instead of a new 1/2 I'd recommend a used 3/4 ton diesel.

1. It will handle anything you toss at it. Now or in the future. And it'll pull like an absolute dream.

2. Depending on the actual truck you like they don't ride any worse than a 1/2 ton. Chevrolet comes to mind.

3. It will get better fuel economy in any equal situation.

4. An equivalent two year old used diesel will come in cheaper than a new 1/2.

5. Modern diesels run, drive and act like gassers.

JMHO, worth every cent you paid for it!
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
A 1/2 ton will get the job done but instead of a new 1/2 I'd recommend a used 3/4 ton diesel.

1. It will handle anything you toss at it. Now or in the future. And it'll pull like an absolute dream.

2. Depending on the actual truck you like they don't ride any worse than a 1/2 ton. Chevrolet comes to mind.

3. It will get better fuel economy in any equal situation.

4. An equivalent two year old used diesel will come in cheaper than a new 1/2.

5. Modern diesels run, drive and act like gassers.

JMHO, worth every cent you paid for it!
sknight
You must have read my mind. That was what I was going to suggest. In addition, I would reccomend an older, good milage car for the daily driver. I have a 91 Pontiac and only use the truck for hauling/towing. It now is 10 yrs old and only has 85K. It can easily go to 200/300K without much trouble. I plan on it being my last truck. The Pontiac I only have liabilty insurance so it doesn't cost much to own. Even with the dually, I sometimes overload it. Not with the RV.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, how did we get from a 4500# wet weight Evergreen to a 3/4 ton diesel. A properly equipped 1/2 tone will be a very good match. I would get the larger V-8 with a 3.73 axle and it will be well suited to the job. You don;t need a 3/4 ton at all.

I would not pull it much with a V-6 Tacoma or like truck. Look for a nice used 1/2 ton truck, check the axle codes to make sure it has a towing axle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #22
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Wow, how did we get from a 4500# wet weight Evergreen to a 3/4 ton diesel. A properly equipped 1/2 tone will be a very good match. I would get the larger V-8 with a 3.73 axle and it will be well suited to the job. You don;t need a 3/4 ton at all.

I would not pull it much with a V-6 Tacoma or like truck. Look for a nice used 1/2 ton truck, check the axle codes to make sure it has a towing axle.

Ken
You may be right but who travels with only water & propane? I had a 25' TT with 5600 GVW that I would not want to tow with a 1/2T PU even though it would do it. When I was in my 30s I towed a 15' TT with a big car that seemed to tow fine but after about 300 miles I felt like I had been beaten with a club.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #23

truck

Like many have already said take a hard look at at least a 3/4 ton Diesel preferably. The truck you are looking at will no doubt tow the trailer you are considering, however as many will tell you ,the weight of stuff adds up quick and before you know it you are exceeding the practical limits of a 1/2 ton.Towing is half the experience of your trip, the last thing you want to do is put yourself on the limits of your capacity especialy if you arent experienced, as was said before ya cant have to much truck. You are not alone in having to make such a decision, heck I am facing the same type of decision myself, SRW or DRW. In my heart the dually is the right move , not for my current trailer, but for the one we are looking at in a few years.I just hate to use DRW as a daily driver, but when we are talking about a 1/2 ton vs 3/4 there is no difference in the physical size.

I live in So Ca and see a lot of people towing to the desert East of here , and I can tell you that while those Nissan and Toyota trucks are nice, they arent really meant for hauling a lot of weight, and although you are looking at an Eco friendly trailer right now try to look ahead , not only at towing but work, kids, ect.. Also consider the comfort of traveling in a smaller Toyota or Nissan not only for yourself, but for your passengers as well .

You might also take a look at a newer used truck, I have never been a fan of buying used but my wife works at our local Chevy Dealer and I gotta tell you they get some real nice used trucks with very few miles on them. Good luck.
shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My 2010 Trailer Life Towing Guide rates the Toyota Tacoma (10') V-6 at 6500 lbs. towing. Usually a V-6 is good for 5000-5500 max....

We have used a V-8 Toyota 4-Runner to pull our 24' (3900 dry) (4500-4600 wet) TT for 6 seasons. It is rated at 7200 lbs max towing. What I like is it is a very smooth riding daily driver as well (16-17 mpg city / 23-24 mpg highway). 11.5 - 12.5 mpg towing....13 with a tailwind.

They put the larger HP. (272) V-8's in from 05' thru 09' model years. For 03 -04' the HP was only 235 for the V-8's those two years. For 10' & 11' they don't offer a V-8 You can get a nice used 05' -07' for low $20's

I should know 4-Runners since this is the 3rd one (1990 3.0 L V-6 150 HP. (tent camping), 1999 3.4 L V-6 183 HP. (pop-up) & 2005 4.7 L V-8 272 HP. 24' TT.))
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #25

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Because he can get a 3/4 ton diesel used for cheaper than a new 1/2, that diesel will get the job done far better, far easier, far safer and more economically than a gasser ever will.

It'll pull far better.

It'll stop far better. I learned that one first hand when my trailer brakes failed me as I exited the freeway with the 1500. It took a long time for my rectum to relearn it's idle position over that. My 2500 will peel up the pavement stopping the trailer with no trailer brakes and it's a 2001 model.

My diesel gets 20MPG empty vs. the former identical gassers 14MPG. Towing the difference is 12MPG to 7MPG.

The longevity is there too.

If he decides to step up in a few years he'll be set vehicle wise.

He asked for our opinion. That's my opinion. Add 2000 pounds to the equation and that's where I was.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a half ton chevy. Don't take long to put it on the axle. Wish I had bought a 3/4 ton. Better to have more then less.
Glen Taylor Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen