Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Shudder on takeoff.

My 2011 Chevy CC D/A 4WD DRW has a shudder on takeoff while pulling my 40 ft 2011 Cardinal FW. Dealer can't find a problem with truck and suggested I bring my camper down so they can test drive.I am not very comfortable with this idea. Has anyone else had the shakes on a brisk takeoff with the newer long bed GM dually? Pin weight is in specs and truck, trailer at 27,400 lbs. It is fine if you drive off the line slow. Truck is all stock.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #2

IMO a drive line angle shudder under acceleration and a load on the rear axles. I see this on Dodge/GM and Ford diesel websites on occasion.

My '98 one ton DRW chevy and my 2500 Dodge will do it with a heavy rear axle load.

The Dodge dealer added a thinner shim under the center bearing on the two piece drive shaft. No more launch shudder.
The one ton GM only does it with a 16k GN trailer fully loaded which is rare so its not a issue.

Have the GM dealer run a TSB check. Not all dealers are up to speed when it comes to truck issues.

Also check out some of the GM diesel websites. I'm sure other have had a issue with drive line launch shudder and may have a factory fix.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If this is a shudder happens at less than 10MPH it is not a drive shaft angle problem.

Here is why:
I have a 89 Ford Rollback tow truck with 200 inch wheel base. A length Ford never made. It was streched Frame and drive shaft. Total of 4 U-joints and 2 carrier bearings. Frame and drive shaft.
They added one more U-joint, 5 feet of driveshaft and another carrier bearing and didn't get the angle quite right. It had a slight vibe or shudder at 65Mph with its 5.13 gears the shaft was turning about 3800 RPM.
It used to have more viberation with more weight on the bed. (this chages the shaft angle)
It couldn't be felt below 40MPH at all.

A shudder at lower speed/Higher weight load IS the transmission clutches slipping, and killing its self slowly.

IF you take your truck loaded to them make SURE that FW is within what GM says Your stuck can pull. If it over weight you may really open a can of worms.
I take it is still under warrenty?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
If this is a shudder happens at less than 10MPH it is not a drive shaft angle problem.

Here is why:
I have a 89 Ford Rollback tow truck with 200 inch wheel base. A length Ford never made. It was streched Frame and drive shaft. Total of 4 U-joints and 2 carrier bearings. Frame and drive shaft.
They added one more U-joint, 5 feet of driveshaft and another carrier bearing and didn't get the angle quite right. It had a slight vibe or shudder at 65Mph with its 5.13 gears the shaft was turning about 3800 RPM.
It used to have more viberation with more weight on the bed. (this chages the shaft angle)
It couldn't be felt below 40MPH at all.

A shudder at lower speed/Higher weight load IS the transmission clutches slipping, and killing its self slowly.

IF you take your truck loaded to them make SURE that FW is within what GM says Your stuck can pull. If it over weight you may really open a can of worms.
I take it is still under warrenty?
I am safe on the pin weight and it is still under 3 yr 36000 mile warranty,
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #5

Hi.

You said you are safe on the pin weight but what about the total weight? 27000lbs sounds like a lot of weight unless your using a 4500.On my 2008 dually I was under on pin weight with a38ft 4slide 5th wheel but over on the total weight, GCVWR by a 1000 lbs. and cooked my 6 speed auto transmission.Check the combined weight rating for your truck before you roll in for warranty work weighing 27000 lbs.

Dale M
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #6

does it do it all the time or only when it's cold ?? if only when it's cold it could the oil has drained from your converter. and shutters until it refills. my dodge 46rh will do it if i don't let it warm up enough.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
There isn't much you can do to repair worn clutch plate without pulling the trans out of the truck. Something they probibly won't want to do.
The more it shudders the more those plates wear. after a while it will just be slippage and very little pull effort.
I hope they give yours a rebuild and not try to fix it.

I know one way they might just "fix it". THey might have a higher GVWR weight class computer program and put in you computer.
(sometimes the Medium duty truck have the same engine tuned to a lower HP and Torque)
THis would have the same effect as only pushing the gas pedal down 3/4 open insted of full throttle.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

I believe the GCWR is 29500 and it does it when it is hot or cold. The 27400 that I posted earlier included my ATVs on a trailer behind the FW, still has the same problem with FW only.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #9

My Dodge does that too. Especially if I am starting up going up hill. Not worried about it as it appears normal on many trucks pulling heavy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Regarding pinion angle effect on takeoff driveline shudder, please see the following LINK. Even though this TSB is for a Ford, the same principle holds true on GM or Dodge trucks. The pin weight of a heavy 5th wheel or gooseneck will cause the rear of the truck to drop which changes the pinion angle.

HERE is a Dodge Ram TSB addressing the same complaint, just for grins.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Hi.

You said you are safe on the pin weight but what about the total weight? 27000lbs sounds like a lot of weight unless your using a 4500.On my 2008 dually I was under on pin weight with a38ft 4slide 5th wheel but over on the total weight, GCVWR by a 1000 lbs. and cooked my 6 speed auto transmission.Check the combined weight rating for your truck before you roll in for warranty work weighing 27000 lbs.

Dale M
Hi

The 2012 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Duramax crew cab long bed has a GCWR of 30,500 Lbs.

3665RE
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #12

What about his 2011?
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #13

If it was under high speeds when the Torque Converter is locked, then I would say that could be your issue. (Known issue on my vehicle). To me, it sounds transmission related.

I guess you are running a Duramax with Allison tranny? I did do a search on google and found everything from Tranny to Angles to spring wrap.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its a drive line angle issue. I can get a little shudder with the trailer hooked up if I apply too much throttle coming off the line. As per the Ford article, you can adjust the angle and get it better under load, but you may have problems with no load in the truck. I just ease off the line a bit.

Ken