Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Sidewinder Help

I have a 2005 fifth wheel that I just purchased. I had a highjacker hitch put on and have been reading about maybe putting a sidewinder on the trailer to give me more clearance. I read that it should not be put on a slider hitch. My Highjacker is fixed for towing and can be put in the back position for more clearance. Does anyone know why I can not use a sidewinder? Do I have to purchase a different hitch?
Linker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #2

I had , 2, short box trucks with Hi-Jacker manual sider hitches, 4, 5ers and 11 years, towing, I moved to the rear once, to maneuver out of a campsite after someone partially blocked my exit.
I'll look for the info on side winder, it's not a product I've read up on , and see what I think.
Are you having a particular problem that your considering this change/ up grade ?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

I seem to have lost my edit of the first post in cyber space.
JMHO: You would have to be really sure you needed a sidewinder type product, before shelling out that amount of coin.
Sure for the pictures you see of the product in use they appear necessary, but you have to ask, " Is that a real world situation? "
The slider hitch mentioned to avoid , would be the automatic slider type.
I'd need more info on your truck and fiver , before saying that it would be completely un-necessary.
Did your 5er, come with a straight down pin box, the type designed for long box trucks , or does it already have an extension, to move the pin forward. all 4 of my fivers had the extended pin, and like I said in the first post , I only once found a situation where extra clearance was necessary.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:53 PM   #4

thanks. I bought a used hitch and took to a hitch installer,. They said that they would not warrent their work because the 5.5 bed was too small. I told them that my brother had teh exact same truck and had no problems. The big problem is that they said this infont of my wife and she got all freaked out,. they installed but said the would not support any claims if something heppend. I will try the hitch Hiker and if that does not work I may go to the slider by pullrite,l Thanks for the info
Old 05-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Both my trucks were a 6'6" box so anything I've said here is in relation to that set up.
5.5 box length, is scary for a 5er. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

I was thinking of changing to the Pullright auto slider. You do not think that this good?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #7

my truck is a 2013 f150 with 5.0 engine 4 x 4
Old 05-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #8

Only ever had the Hi-Jackers so I wont comment on other brands of hitches.

JMHO: Cab clearance is the least of your worries, that is not enough truck for the 32' 5er, listed in your profile. If you think your wife was freaked out by the statements at the shop that installed the hitch, one short trip at highway speeds will have her .
Old 05-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #9

I need to update my profile. I just sold my 32 ft motor home and purchased the 26 prilgim fifth wheel
Old 05-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker View Post
I need to update my profile. I just sold my 32 ft motor home and purchased the 26 prilgim fifth wheel
OK , sorry to jump all over you but I thought you were operating well outside the realm of reasonable, weights on your truck. Friends had a Gulf Stream 5er and it was a tank.
Like , I said can't tell you if your going to need to change hitches or pin boxes , if you use extreme caution on your first trips you'll be able to decide for your self.
Don't forget to get your weights and adjust tire pressures accordingly, it may take some creative loading of the cargo in the 5er to keep from over loading your rear axle and tires on the truck. 15>18% of trailer weight on the pin will give good handling. Safe travels.