Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #29
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
I would buy a 3/4 or 1-ton because they will tow most any trailer you might buy, now or in the future.

This. And you get engine choices that are better suited to frequent towing in the heavier trucks. I haven't run the actual numbers, but I'll bet that a low-end 3/4 ton doesn't cost much (if any) more than a beefed-up 1/2 ton for towing the same load.

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #30
You can be sure I'll be getting the numbers and asking here before I buy a truck, and although I like the idea of 150 Aluminium body to prevent rusting out. I could be convinced something else is better.

I find it annoying that diesel fuel prices have not dropped like gas prices. I don't know why, but it does discourage the idea of getting a diesel and why the diesel engines (for some vehicles) are about $8,000 or so more expensive ??
I do notice diesels have the most power (in general) but otherwise don't seem attractive to me.

SilverLining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #31
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most people only tow a bit in the summer. The rest of the time the truck is a commuter and "grocery-getter". A 150/1500 that can handle a 7000# loaded trailer is a better option then. They exist. Mine is one.

As for a big 350/3500 diesel? Unless you are looking at over 10,000# trailer and towing a lot, they don't make sense to me.
2014 Timber Ridge 240RKS, 700W Solar 420Ah GC2s, 30K miles
2016 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 RegCab SLT, 11.1 mpgUS tow
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #32
I've been a tenter, pop-up camperer, hybred camperer (full body with pop-up like bunks) and now I have a big TT. A pop-up best a tent because you stay dry when it rains and you have a way to transport stuff but you still get to sleep and enjoy the forest noises. A hybrid best a pop-up because you can a haul more stuff and deal with water (tanks etc.) but you still have a great deal of set up and you still have that tenting like sleep, but you still have a problem with food when in bear country. The full size TT has less set up and you don't have to deal with puting a way stuff wet (i.e. canvas bunks), but you are more isolated from wildlife noises and bears.

I got 19 mpg pulling a 8' PU with a mini van. After putting bikes on top I got 13 mpg.
I got 9 mpg pulling a 23' hybrid with a v8 Explorer, and i really liked that set up but the transmission concerned me (never a problem i just worried about it).
With TT i use a diesel truck.

In my opinion, the minivan and car base SUV is only suitable for the low profile trailer and in most cases even the 12' high wall PU's are too much. Light duty trucks (150, Suburban, etc) can handle the 5-6k TT. After that its the bigger truck.

Capacity aside, in my opinion a truck is a better TV for camping, because when you camp you have to deal with stuff you don't want to put in your van or SUV, dirty wet stuff, be it fire wood or the leaking garbage bag that needs to be transported.

Chances are, if you like camping you'll reassess your purchases and make changes a few years down the road. Just get out and Camp! Every time my kids have to complete a school like questionair with a question of the kind "what do do you like to do with your family?" Every time my kids answer "go camping". I feel like i have succeded as a father.

So what I'm saying is don't let the compromises of TV and camping rig get in the way of doing somethning great.
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #33
The new Chevy Colorado may be the type of TV that would do the trick for ya.

Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote