Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
To "dexters", The trailer you are going to buy probably won't be the last. My advise is to stop trying to find a way to justify getting by with a 1/2 ton truck and just get an HD 3/4 ton that will handle this trailer and the next larger one with ease and a good safety margin. After your first trip through the west, you'll be glad you did.
Well, this discussion got me looking that way.

I'm researching the difference between a RAM 1500 and 2500 right now.

1500 5.7L - towing 10,600lbs

2500 5.7l - towing 13,900lbs

I don't know enough to know what other differences there are.

I don't want to go to desiel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One important difference between the 1500 and 2500 is the brakes. Stopping well is a Very Good Thing.

My advice is to stop looking at the advertised "towing capacity". We've already seen this is not a real world scenario since they haven't told us how the vehicle is configured to be able to tow the full advertised "towing capacity". The trailer you are looking at will do two things to the vehicle you attach it to: put weight on the axles, and eat up cargo capacity. This is the tongue weight problem. Since you aren't looking at a trailer that will weigh 10,600 or 13,900, the advertised "towing capacity" doesn't even figure in anymore.

Just keep asking yourself these two questions: what is the tongue weight, and what will the cargo capacity of my tow vehicle in Ready to Travel Mode be?

Old 05-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #31

Silverado 1500 with Max Towing option and hitch weight

The Silverado will do the job, and we like our Sierra. According to the CAT scale we have 700lbs payload capacity available with the trailer hooked up. It's also the only truck that will tow what we need it to tow and fit in our garage and had a higher payload than the Ram 1500.

But:

If you might be looking at a larger trailer and longer trips go for the heavier truck now. You should also pay attention to your cruising range and fuel tank size. We can always unhitch the trailer if a gas station is too tight but the fuel tank size is still a limitation. The bigger trucks can be had with larger fuel tanks or you can go with diesel which will open up the possibility of an auxiliary fuel tank.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

Just keep asking yourself these two questions: what is the tongue weight, and what will the cargo capacity of my tow vehicle in Ready to Travel Mode be?
Thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #33

2016 RAM 1500 5.7L 3.92 rear towing 9,000lbs up a hill.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No one said the truck couldn't tow 9k pounds up a hill. Like I've been saying, it's tongue weight. In the video, they said the trailer was loaded to 10% tongue weight. That is easy when you get to choose where everything is loaded in the trailer like one can with a flat floor cargo trailer. Your storage options are reduced in a travel trailer by the floorplan and locations of storage areas. Cargo trailers are empty boxes and cargo can be placed where it works best for weight distribution. Travel trailers have walls, fixtures, furniture, holding tanks, water, propane, batteries, toys, games, dishes, ad nauseum, etc.

Conspicuously absent is how the truck handled the grade going downhill. What goes up must come down. It wouldn't surprise me if they emptied the water from the trailer before descending. I know I would if it wasn't something I needed when it came time to descend in that rig.

If you want a 1500, go get one. You don't have to sell us on the truck you want. I just don't want you or anyone else to lay out all the money, drive the thing off the lot, and be disappointed. Disappointment can be very expensive in this game. The vehicle loses a bunch of it's value the moment you sign the sales papers.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

That cannot be stated strong enough.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Well, this discussion got me looking that way.

I'm researching the difference between a RAM 1500 and 2500 right now.

1500 5.7L - towing 10,600lbs

2500 5.7l - towing 13,900lbs

I don't know enough to know what other differences there are.

I don't want to go to desiel.
Even with the same engine the 2500 will handle sooooo much better. And brake better. Grade shifting is also much better on a 2500 than a 1500. And there is an available 6.4L hemi on it. Coupled with the 4.10 gearing it should be decent.
But once you go diesel you'll never want to go back. I use mine as a daily driver. I work close to home. I take the kids to school. The usual stuff. Aside from the sound(which isn't loud inside) i'd never know it was a diesel. More relaible and longer life. And then you get the exhaust brake too. Going downhill I never have to touch my brakes unless someone cuts me off. Much better control. Less driving fatigue too.
If you're buying a truck for the purpose of towing never get a half ton. They can do it, some of it, but a 3/4 ton will do it so much better.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's really good advice everyone is giving you!

Ultimately its up to you, but here's my story:

I had a GMC 1500 and bought a "lite" toy hauler with weight distribution system. Everything was in spec and the 1500 did the job. I wasn't happy with power, suspension, or braking, but what the heck. I did three trips in it with my son before the wife was able to go. She took one trip in it and told me to start shopping for larger truck. You really can tell the difference between a truck made to handle the weight and one that is not.

I ended up with a 2500 4-door Diesel long bed and even though the trailer is gone (I now drive a motorhome)... I still have the diesel and wouldn't trade it in for anything. I haul snowmobiles, motorcycles, and landscaping materials for my home. COMPLETELY over kill for my current needs, but listen carefully to what everyone is saying.... I have ZERO complaints with too much truck and can safely haul most 5er's and trailers in the market. That gives me lots of future options.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #38

I'm still doing my reading.
Here is Fith Wheelst towing computations based upon their system.
Their towing numbers are about 500lbs lower then what I see published for Ram

2016 Half-ton Truck Tow Rating Reviews

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...ing_charts.pdf

2016 Three Quarter Ton Truck Tow Rating Reviews

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...ing_charts.pdf
Old 05-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #39

To the OP, you have to stop looking at tow ratings and start looking at payload capacity. If I read right you plan on full timing? If that's the case, your going to overload any 1/2 that is built. Any truck out there can drag your trailer, but for the conditions you want your going to need at least a 3/4 ton for the payload. You won't need a diesel, but it would make it easier to tow than a gas.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #40
RVM1

My 2c
I have been RVing fulltime for 4 years and have seen very few fulltimers with 1/2 ton TVs. And I know 2 of them that bit the bullet and up-trucked because of ride, handling (they described as wrestling), and lousy/scary braking going down grades.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #41

I assume you are looking at new trucks. As I mentioned earlier, I would like to replace two vehicles with one that would be a DD for me and be able to pull my enclosed trailer that weighs 12,000# with the Jeep in it. I do not need new, so was looking at the used market. I also found that the Dodge 3/4 ton sits very high and requires a step for my wife to get into it. The Chevy, however is closer to the 1/2 ton for easier access. Check out a 2-3 year old diesel in whatever brand you prefer and compare it to a new gas unit for capacity, value and economy. I like the Cummins engine, but we had so many transmission failures with Dodge that we went to the Duramax and Ford 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton duallies. Not one problem with the Allison transmissions in the Chevy Duramax. All three develope good power. You need to get 1/2 ton out of your mind, , do it right the first time with a 3/4 or 1 ton tow vehicle.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #42

I am looking at the Ram 2500 with the 5.7L

What I like about the 2500 is that there are so few options - very simple.

Tags
tow, towing, weight