Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Smile Single axle camper weight distribution

I currently have a single axle camper (Jayco) and want to add a carry rack on the rear bumper to haul about 300 lbs. I do not want to mess up the tongue weight now. Can I put a weight distribution/sway system to add the carry rack? I am in the market for a tandem axle camper and plan on moving this system over when I get one.

Guess I could add another axle. Probably get expensive though.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svckent View Post
I currently have a single axle camper (Jayco) and want to add a carry rack on the rear bumper to haul about 300 lbs. I do not want to mess up the tongue weight now.
Hi, Svckent, and

Y0u certainly do ask tough questions for your first post!

Adding 300 pounds to your back bumper is certainly going to affect tongue weight on that small camper trailer.

Quote:
Can I put a weight distribution/sway system to add the carry rack?
That won't help balancing the weight in the trailer so the tongue weight is not affected. A WD hitch distributes about 20% of the tongue weight back to the trailer axle, and another 20% to the front axle of the tow vehicle, leaving about 60% of the gross tongue weight on the rear axle. But you don't need to redistribute the tongue weight - you need to increase tongue weight so you have at least 10% of the gross trailer weight on the tongue. The only way to do that is to move weight from behind the trailer axle to in front of the trailer axle.

Quote:
I am in the market for a tandem axle camper and plan on moving this system over when I get one.
Then you must plan very carefully so the WD hitch will have the correct weight limits to work on both the very-light tongue weight of your current trailer and the heavier tongue weight of the new tandem-axle trailer. Example: Assume your current trailer will have 300 pounds tongue weight after you load the carry rack. The new trailer will gross 6,000 pounds with 780 pounds tongue weight. So you need a WD hitch designed for a minimum tongue weight (TW) of 300 pounds and a max TW of 800 pounds.

With a quick search, I don't find any good WD hitches that can handle both 300 and 800 pounds tongue weight. Closest is the Reese Strait Line rated for 800 pounds tongue weight. But minimum tongue weight is 400 pounds for that hitch, and you won't have 400 pounds tongue weight.
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66083

So that means you'll probably have to buy a different hitch when you buy the new trailer.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Will the bumper support 300lbs?
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single, weight