Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #1

Well, long time no posty. Doubleboss finds himself with a youngster and one in the oven. The ol' Jayco 243RKS will be a bit cramped! We have been looking at bunkhouse models and have found a few we like, a Mountaineer 319BHD and a Crossroads CF32BL top our lists (both fit our ABSOLUTE requirement of enclosed bath and enclosed 2 bunk bunkhouse). Both roughly 35' in length.
My question. What will be the biggest thing to get used to? Not concerned about weight/power issues (currently in a 07' Silverado D/A, just barely making GVWR/GVCWR weight on the Mountaineer, should be good on the Crossroads). My biggest concern is maneuverability, height around corners, sizing for lots, etc. We have 3 campsites already booked this year, booked at the 25-30'designation @ Michigan State Parks. The first we can't check, the other two we can check prior. My experience has been that there is typically PLENTY of room with my Jayco, so not super worried. Planning on a slider hitch, of course.
Will I experience major size shock? Will we be limited to paved sites in "5" star rated $40/night campgrounds(Blech...sorry, no likey)? Will errant tree branches come to life and rip deep gouges along the top edge unbeknownst to me?
Opine please!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #2

Well, long time no posty. Doubleboss finds himself with a youngster and one in the oven. The ol' Jayco 243RKS will be a bit cramped! We have been looking at bunkhouse models and have found a few we like, a Mountaineer 319BHD and a Crossroads CF32BL top our lists (both fit our ABSOLUTE requirement of enclosed bath and enclosed 2 bunk bunkhouse). Both roughly 35' in length.
My question. What will be the biggest thing to get used to? Not concerned about weight/power issues (currently in a 07' Silverado D/A, just barely making GVWR/GVCWR weight on the Mountaineer, should be good on the Crossroads). My biggest concern is maneuverability, height around corners, sizing for lots, etc. We have 3 campsites already booked this year, booked at the 25-30'designation @ Michigan State Parks. The first we can't check, the other two we can check prior. My experience has been that there is typically PLENTY of room with my Jayco, so not super worried. Planning on a slider hitch, of course.
Will I experience major size shock? Will we be limited to paved sites in "5" star rated $40/night campgrounds(Blech...sorry, no likey)? Will errant tree branches come to life and rip deep gouges along the top edge unbeknownst to me?
Opine please!

Old 03-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you just take your time and watch out for the formerly "no problem" obstacles; you will have no problems. With the bigger coach, might want to try backing up to the stop block with your wheels to give yourself more space. Cornering will be a little different from a trailer as will backing it up. But take your time and you will be fine! JMHO

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #4

I went from a 30' 5er to a 40' 5er. There is a big difference! Turning radius is much wider, Backing involves wider passage roads, less attack trees, etc.; a radio-equipped ground guide is a must. Re-learning how to tow, back, turn corners,etc, is necessary. The living space compensates for all these inconveniences though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #5

I went from a 27 ' star craft to a 33' hoiliday rambler and I tow it with a crew cab GMC with a 6 bed. Finding a camp site around 60' long is a must! Its a hand full getting threw tight turns but it poss 99% of the time if your a good driver and know what to expect. A 33' 5th would be easier to tow and I think my next RV will be 5th , the Holiday is right around 37' with the hitch and the truck is 26'..... you get the idea.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies!

We went yesterday and looked at Crossroads at the nearest dealer. Really liked what we saw. Trim level not as nice as the Mountaineer, but comparable otherwise. Didn't have the model we liked but got a good feel for the unit by comparing some units with the same bed/bath config and similar LivingRm/Kitchen layouts. Salesman to call Mon regarding nearest model to look at and order time for a custom unit.
Any who, back on topic. Our salesman had identical truck and a Presidential model at 35' in length. Similiar bits of wisdom. The Crossroads is also a bit shorter, which I like. We'll see I guess. Need to sell the Jayco before the big plunge!!