Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #1

Well I did it and put the deposit down on a new trailer.

Now the question is what size WD bars. According the the brochure the dry tongue weight is 715. I assume that I will be in about 800 when camping. I assume that I should use (I can get a nice used dual cam for free) 1000 bars since I will be at or over 800 on the tongue.

Any opinions. I sent a message to Reese and haven't heard from them yet.

TIA

Bill Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #2

Well I did it and put the deposit down on a new trailer.

Now the question is what size WD bars. According the the brochure the dry tongue weight is 715. I assume that I will be in about 800 when camping. I assume that I should use (I can get a nice used dual cam for free) 1000 bars since I will be at or over 800 on the tongue.

Any opinions. I sent a message to Reese and haven't heard from them yet.

TIA

Old 02-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #3

If your not sure of your tongue weight, there is a gizmo you can make using a bathroom scale and a lever.Do a search,I made one a few years ago and it was simple.I never trust brochure weights or dealerships.If your under 1000lb your bars will work,don't forget your adjustment at the ball end also for you bars.I use 800lb bars with a 850-900lb tongue and I feel fine towing ,with little or no sway.But I am definitely going with larger this season,I want to be as safe as I can

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:25 AM   #4

Here in Washington State you can use the DOT weigh stations when they are not in use. (State Patrol says the only ones not left in operation are those which experience repeated vandalism <sigh>.)

The brochure for my trailer says my tongue weight empty is 740lbs.

In actuality it's 1140lbs with all liquid tanks virtually empty and 3/4 propane supply. So I agree, you need to establish your actual tongue weight.

In my case I upgraded my hitch since there was nothing I could relocate that made a substantial difference.

HTH
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 AM   #5

Thanks for your responses. But, I know how to determine tongue weight.

My question is. Since I don't have the trailer and even if I could weigh one, it wouldn't have my stuff in it. What is the correct way to size the bars.

To put it another way. Is it better to have WD bars larger than the tongue weight or around the tongue weight?

Now remember this is not a saftey issue like ball ratings where you need something at or over the weight. WD bars are rated at the amount of weight that they transfer. They are built to flex.

Because of the design and ratings of the WD bars I assume that a little larger would be fine (you wouldn't want to put 1200 lbs bars on a popup . . .)But I was hoping to get another persons thoughts since (at least at this point) Reese hasn't responded to me.

TIA

Old 02-25-2005, 04:43 AM   #6

I got the following answer from Reese yesterday (after asking again and having to send a followup question)

"Actual tongue weight should be found (when trailers loaded). Then you can decide on the proper kit. Many published weights are not correct.
400 to 600 pounds tongue weight use the 600 bars.
600 to 800 pounds tongue weight use the 800 bars.
800 to 1200 pounds tongue weight use the 1200 bars."

So according to the experts you only want to use bars that are above the actual tongue weight.

I thought this was the case but wanted to find out for sure.

Old 02-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #7

Something else to consider when sizing the bars is the distance from center-line of the rear axle to the ball mount. The longer the distance the heavy the bars weight rating.
canadiandlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #8

Bottom line is doing your homework and like Frankie said, weigh your tongue. The home scale technique is easy. I did it and the 740lb tongue weight I was told I had was over 200lbs heavier. I weighed in at 960. The bars the dealer sold me when I picked up mt trailer were rated 800. I immediately went back back and they gave me the next size up, 1200.
Trooper25D is offline   Reply With Quote