Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

Slider Hitch ?

I have 2012 Chevy 2500HD, 6' 6" bed, 4 wheel drive and a 2008 Raptor 3612. I'm about to purchase a slider hitch or sidewinder. Anybody out there have a similar truck and trailer with a slider hitch? How often do you use the slider?

Thanks
mc1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
1st, welcome to iRV2. You will get a bunch of useful information from this site. I've been here since nearly day 1 and cant pull myself away.

I don't have your configuration but I'm sure someone will come along with advice. all i can say is that I had a `99 Ford short bed (6' 6") with a slider. I admit that i didn;t use the sliding function much. I could turn nearly 90 degrees without sliding it; the operative word being NEARLY. One day I made a real tight turn and popped out the rear window. Learned my leasson about sliding the hitch.

You don't say if you already have a 5er or whether you'll be in the market for one. Many manufacturers are building the front of the 5er's with concaved corners so that, according to them, short bed owners won't need a sliding hitch.

Stay tuned. You'll get more info shortly.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

My brother has 2009 gmc short bed and pulla a 2011 fuzion toyhauler. He can almost turn 90 degrees. I would say 75-80 degrees. His 5 th wheeler does have the concave corners on it. If he starts to get in a tight turn he has his wife get out and watch. Usually only happens in campground. He did try one time in a big lot and going forward he cannot turn sharp enough to make it hit. The chevys do not turn very sharp compared to ram. Good luck
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #4

My toy hauler is the older version Keystone raptor with the squared corners. My concern is about driving through town etc. making sharp turns going forward. I have no problem sliding the hitch while setting up in a campground.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Previous vehicle was an F350 short box towing a Titanium 40' toy hauler. The Titanium was designed to not need a sliding hitch, but I like to know for sure that I'll NEVER have a problem. So I had a Pullrite automatic sliding hitch. There are several on the market now, but IMHO, if you have to stop and pull a lever or flip a latch, then the slider makes no sense. The Pullrite always works when it needs to work, and you can't forget. Additionally, Pullrite has a very secure jaw design.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1960 View Post
My concern is about driving through town etc. making sharp turns going forward.
I doubt you can turn sharp enough going forward to have trailer to cab contact. The problem is when you put the tow vehicle in reverse, you can jackknife in a heartbeat and have a BANG! before you realize it. No fun.

But driving forward in a campground is not the only reason to have a slider hitch. You often have to back into a parking place, and that requires putting the TV into reverse. The key to towing with a manual slider hitch is you must always slide the hitch before you put the TV in reverse. But better yet is to buy a Pullrite Superglide automagic sliding hitch that you can back up without worrying about sliding the hitch.
PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you

I had a shorty pickup dragging a 5er without a slider hitch for a while. My nightmare was driving down an unfamiliar alley or trail and all of a sudden come to a dead end with no place to turn around. Without a slider hitch, that would require backing up until you get to a turnaround place, and that might be a block or several blocks or more. No fun - especially on a crooked mountain trail with steep grades. With a slider, you could back into a 90° jackknife, then disconnect and drive around to the other side of the trailer, reconnect and be on your way.

Because of my nightmare, I knew I had to either buy a slider hitch or else trade for a longbed pickup so I could sleep better. I traded for a longbed pickup and RVed happily ever after.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an '11 F350 SB with the Hijacker autoslide, sold by Demco. You seldom see this hitch but I think it is very well made. I have turned several times 90 degrees or better, all in a backing situation. I like the fact that it's one less thing I have to think about when I'm trying to park the trailer.
btritschler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is an alternative. It looks very good and solves many 5th wheel towing issues.

The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel

puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
That may look good at first, but you will be limiting yourself to a size (GVWR) trailer, plus the weight of the trailer in the middle, < the rating of the receiver which is 10K #'s on a Class III or IV receiver. If your truck has enough rating, then you can get a class V receiver and get up to 15K. I don't know how using a WD hitch would impact the configuration but may add a 2K #'s or so.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
K-Star,

The hitch is already rated at a class V. You won't be limiting yourself either. Did you visit their site? -It answers most of these concearns.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
puttin - Nope, I sure did not read it; but then I'm not the one considering it for purchase. I was just throwin' a thought out there. If the advertising covers it for you, then end of story.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curt slider hitch.. Love mine but not automatic.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #13

So nobody has a rig similar to mine, that can answer the question (how often do you have to use the slider?) 5th wheels have different style hitches is why I asked for a specific style truck and 5th wheel.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #14

I had a 2008 GMC with the same configuration pulling a 2007 Dune Chaser triple axle toy hauler. I had a slider hitch and never had to use it. A good spotter helped when it got tight. I did need the slider with the previous 2004 F250. Hope this helps.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote