Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

"slider" hitch needed???

Hey all......I have a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD with a standard bed....6'7". I won't need one of the "slider" type hitches will I?
tsm1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #2

If you have one of the new notched rounded corner trailers and a short bed GM you won't need the slider.
Now if the trailer is like my old '97 with a square corner/flat profile then you will need some type of sliding hitch...or the Andersen ultimate hitch system ....or the Reese Sidewinder with a std 5th wheel hitch.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

It depends on what 5th wheel you purchase. I have the same truck as you and have had to use it once even though I have a 88 degree turn radius on my 5th wheel. IMHO I would suggest you purchase the slider hitch.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As stated it depends...
and just like 4 wheel drive,
better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it

If you have a short bed,
if you have a 'long ' pinbox like a trailair triglide,
if you like your pickup rear window

I opted for a superglide auto slider (like this one) so I didn't have to remember to get out and unlock when I was worried about 20 other things pulling into a tight spot...
or having to make a u turn when we got lost on that two lane road !!!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1975 View Post
Hey all......I have a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD with a standard bed....6'7". I won't need one of the "slider" type hitches will I?
No one really 'needs' a sliding hitch. Your truck even with a square front fifth wheel can still jack-knife at least 60 degrees. This is more than a travel trailer can be jack-knifed and seems few if any TT owners have problems or damage. I've worked with the 60 degree limitation since 1989, before sliding or other options were available. I've never had a problem. Any setup that works at 90 degrees doesn't work a few degrees later. The answer is to take more time and jockey back and forth or change the wheel cut rather than blindly maneuvering. As a plus, you won't put excess stress on the trailer suspension/tires.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

I'm in the get a slider camp as I like options. If you want to go from one RV park to another then you probably don't need it. But getting into some National Parks or state parks is another story. I pulled a 5er for about 8 years and every year I used/needed it at least once per year. At Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone my site was so tight I had to use the slider and drop the 5er, reposition the truck and finish the job getting in! I was pulling it with a 1 ton mega cab which is longer than most trucks but in my opinion a slider makes life easier and creates less stress on you. It's a lot easier to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #7

All one needs to do is get the half width of camper, usually 4' or 51" for wide body. Use a measuring tape and run it out to your width and place that on hitch pin location. Swing in an arc. This is where your camper will go. Allow a couple of inches for off level. This removes all guess work.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide