Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Slider Hitch or regular hitch?

We've received conflicting information as to whether or not we should have a slider hitch for our Brookstone fifth wheel. Please give us your thoughts.
We have an F350 crew cab short bed (6 3/4 ft bed)and a Coachman Brookstone 325 RL fifth wheel.
merlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

Unless your 5er is designed to do 90 degrees behind your pickup, slider. Manual or automatic. When you least expect it, small discussion with wife while backing and... thankfully I had the automatic.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #3

For peace of mind I would get a slider with a short bed,but you do not need one with a long bed.

Ben
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Basic rule of thumb is you need a slider hitch with a shorty pickup. A shorty pickup is any pickup with less than an 8' long bed.

There are exceptions. Some 5ers are now designed to be towed by some shorty pickups without a slider hitch.

When you buy your hitch, be sure it has an optional manual slider component. Maybe buy the hitch without the slider at first, but as soon as you get it installed, go to a big parking lot and have your spotter watch closely while slowly back into a 90° jackknife. If you can do a 90° jackknife without trailer to cab contact, then you probably don't need a slider. If not, you not only need a slider, you must be wide awake enough to always remember to slide the hitch before you put the truck in reverse.

If you're forgetful like me, then you want an automatic slider. You just drive, and the hitch will automatically slide if needed. But those are not cheap. Best known is the Pillrite SuperGlide. If I had to tow a 5er with a shorty pickup, I'd insist on a Pullrite Superglide hitch.
Traditional Series SuperGlide - For Short Bed Trucks | PullRite Hitches

Note that the SuperGlide comes three different ways. The "traditional" SuperGlide has it's own install kit to install everything under the bed - so when the hitch is removed you will have a clean bed.

And Pullrite also makes a SuperGlide that will plug into the "ISR" industry standard rails above the floor of the bed that most 5er hitches use.

And the newer "OE" or original equipment fifth wheel/gooseneck prep kits available in new Ford and Dodge trucks has a SuperGlide that you can plug into the OE mounting pucks of your new pickup that has the prep kit installed.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlins View Post
We've received conflicting information as to whether or not we should have a slider hitch for our Brookstone fifth wheel. Please give us your thoughts.

We have an F350 crew cab short bed (6 3/4 ft bed)and a Coachman Brookstone 325 RL fifth wheel.

I have a year old pullrite slider for sale on this sight that I have taken out of my 2011 f350 SWR short box. Couldn't have turned with out it with our cyclone 4100. Don't need it now as we have traded for a 350 dwr, w/eight foot box.
Snappy2265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unless your bed is 6' or less you don't need a slider. I was told that but insisted on a slider in the deal, Never slide it! I guess some of the things the salesmen tell you is true!

Tags
slide