RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 04:43 AM   #1

Sloppy Titan Surge Brake Setup

I just bought this used tow dolly, and itís fine when itís loaded with a car, but swings all over the road when Iím on the highway with it unloaded. I think itís due to this slop in the mechanism.

https://youtu.be/hkOF9EQ-SOA

Does anyone know off hand what this thing needs to fix this problem?

I wonder if I can simply lockout the brakes when itís not loaded and tighten everything up.

Mknmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 05:07 AM   #2

I am wondering if maybe there are some bushings missing. This video right at 5:00 shows how one titan has bushings in it. So maybe that is my issue, missing bushings.

WARNING. This guy has a pretty fowl mouth.

https://youtu.be/pXcEN-_3UfI

Old 09-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknmike View Post
I just bought this used tow dolly, and itís fine when itís loaded with a car, but swings all over the road when Iím on the highway with it unloaded. I think itís due to this slop in the mechanism.

https://youtu.be/hkOF9EQ-SOA

Does anyone know off hand what this thing needs to fix this problem?

I wonder if I can simply lockout the brakes when itís not loaded and tighten everything up.
I have one right outside the house and will check on my tow dolly. It needs to have that up and down pla but I don't remember seeing so much side to side slop.

The whole assembly should be easy to remove. A few bolts, flip it over and check what is loose, worn or broken.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I have one right outside the house and will check on my tow dolly. It needs to have that up and down pla but I don't remember seeing so much side to side slop.

The whole assembly should be easy to remove. A few bolts, flip it over and check what is loose, worn or broken.

Thank you. Mine is about a block away and has a car on it. I agree I should at least look at the underside. I wonder if itís a bad idea to even tow cars with it until I get that fixed.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
is your dolly steerable? If it is there should be a pin that drops in a hole to lock it straight.
hydro45640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:19 AM   #6

My dolly brake actuator is loose but it always has had some play. Do you have grease fittings on it ?

You do know that while towing empty, you should drop the tire pressure diwn to 10 to 15 PSI.

With full pressure in the tires, no springs, and no car acting as a suspension system, the dolly will bounce all over the place.

My Stehl Tow dolly instruction manual mentions it.

That's probably your problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #7

I just checked mine and it has less than 1/4 of the play yours does. I have very slight up/down play and almost no side play. Are the bolts even tight on it? Remove the unit, mine's the same, only 4 bolts and flip it to inspect. Maybe it is just mounted incorrectly?

As to towing unladen expect that these things bounce all over the place. They have zero suspension and will be a challenge for lighter tow vehicles. In back of my Subirban or dually it was never an issue for me.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #8

I work on a ton of those. They are on most boat trailers.
That one is shot. Its not worth fixing. Just replace it. They are $175 my cost $210 retail and easy to replace. I had 5 in the pile I just sent to the scrap yard. I used to save parts from them but but its not worth the time.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Sloppy Titan Surge Brake Setup

I tightened the front bolt that had noticeably fewer threads exposed than the other bolts.

Edit: hereís a pic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9266.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	261142Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9267.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	261141

I was surprised at how much that closed up the outer metal, so much that the rear of the two front bolts became loose. When I tightened that one to some level of torque, the up down mechanism locked. So I backed the rear fender a little and got some up down action. I guess I need to find the right balance and used some loctite, or a second lock nut.

https://youtu.be/tTF_a7LlbfM

And some ďafterĒ pics from the video:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9268.JPG
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	261146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9270.JPG
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	261145Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9271.JPG
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	261144Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9269.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	261143
Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #10

Looks like you have crushed the outside case at the nut.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Looks like you have crushed the outside case at the nut.

Do others have the wide gap? Iím assuming the slapping side-to-side opened it up. There was virtually no torquing when I tightened the bolts.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #12

I just towed it full 45 minutes each way, and it felt ok. I have not gotten on the highway with it empty yet.

Tags
brake