Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

Smallest 5th wheel trailer ? Prefer new or very late model

I received great answers yesterday re: 5th wheel hitch vs gooseneck. I am not making great progress with the custom built 18' (with gooseneck) project that I mentioned yesterday. Cost is getting out of hand. The smallest 5th wheel trailers that I have located are 24', and I need to go smaller, prefer a "low profile". I live in the northern NM mountains, and have about 4 miles of tight turns on a dirt road. Need to get the trailer to my home.

25 yr RV traveler, but hoping to purchase my first trailer, (5th wheel) Thanks for any suggestions. irv2 is a great group. Wayne
Wayne Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

I don't think you'll find anything decent under 24 feet. I don't know if Shadow Cruiser is still around but they used to make some 22' lightweight fifthwheels with no slides, however, I used to own one of their 18' TT's and I wouldn't wish that CRAP product on anyone...

Check for used Shasta's or even Jayco has some lightweight 5ers.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Scamp made a 19' 5er.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
Scamp made a 19' 5er.

Ken
I would've recomended that with proper hip, waist and weight measurements those pups are tiny...
Old 06-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Sunline used to make what they called "Fifth wheels" but were actually gooseneck. They were in the 18-25 foot range. If you could find one of them, you'd be set!

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Sunline made some great RV's. It was sad to see them go out of business.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
Sunline made some great RV's. It was sad to see them go out of business.
There are still plenty of Sunlines out there though. We had a Sunline get together last weekend and had 24 of them there!

To stay on topic... I do see a few of the above Sunlines come up for sale at times... You could probably get one of them, for a great price.
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I have to ask why the self imposed rigid limitation of a 'small 5th wheel' ?

You are probably the only person I've heard of that wants to go smaller

If you want small, get a small TT or popup or hybrid (or trim the trees along your winding driveway so you can get a livable 5th wheel)

re your tight driveway - a 5er will 'cut the corners' more than a TT and will be taller than a comparable TT...

Sounds like you may need a popup http://www.campingearth.com/popups/
or A frame type trailer... http://www.aliner.com/

or a storage area for your rv that doesn't need to come to the house
good luck.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brock
I received great answers yesterday re: 5th wheel hitch vs gooseneck. I am not making great progress with the custom built 18' (with gooseneck) project that I mentioned yesterday. Cost is getting out of hand. The smallest 5th wheel trailers that I have located are 24', and I need to go smaller, prefer a "low profile". I live in the northern NM mountains, and have about 4 miles of tight turns on a dirt road. Need to get the trailer to my home.

25 yr RV traveler, but hoping to purchase my first trailer, (5th wheel) Thanks for any suggestions. irv2 is a great group. Wayne
I read your other thread and one thing that I took notice to is that your truck is an 07 Duramax...based on that, you are heavily narrowing your search down in a mini 5er. Anything 18-23' is low profile and more designed for smaller trucks like Rangers or F150's. If you can't go with a more standard size fiver 24-25', you're mostlikely better off with a TT.
Since the mini 5er's are so constrictive with interior space you should also consider a Truck Bed camper...(same thing/no wheels...)
With a truck camper, you could tow your popup at the same time
Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle
I don't think you'll find anything decent under 24 feet. I don't know if Shadow Cruiser is still around but they used to make some 22' lightweight fifthwheels with no slides, however, I used to own one of their 18' TT's and I wouldn't wish that CRAP product on anyone...

Shadow Cruiser TTs are still around. Why do you think they are crap? PM me so we don't hijack this thread. Thx
Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

"Low profile" 5er means about 48" from floor to ceiling in the bedroom. Which means you must crawl around on the bed to make the bed. Unless you are very young and agile, then you want at least a medium profile 5er. I had a low-profile 5er way back when, and Darling Wife insisted I trade up to a medium profile.

We used our 2001 Keystone Sprinter mid-profile with one slide for over 11 years and 100,000 miles. Very comfortable for two old folks. Now Darling Daughter is living in it. It has a GVWR of 7,900 pounds and was 25' long. I doubt you'll be happy in a smaller 5er.

The current equivalent in size to our 5er is the Keystone Springdale model 242FWRLSSR, which stands for fifth wheel rear living room with a big slide.
http://www.keystone-springdale.com/m...242FWRLSSR.gif

I suggest you look at that one if you want an inexpensive and relatively light weight 5er. It's a less-expensive 5er than our Sprinter, but the smallest current Sprinter is 29' long with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #12

See if you can find one of these setups