Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #15

I see many prodigy issues from owners of Dodge trucks. the 1st ford 6 liter would not work with the prodigy because of the electronics. I think the brakes should work on the one lite red light but a lower level of voltage in the beginning. Never felt our prodigy 2 was not a good product because it would not be on our 05. We had it on our 01 so it is not new but stops us very well as was tested last September going down 395. Not fun for the OP having a problem so I am hoping it has been taken care . As the information above an EB would be a good thing.

chevman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #16

I have also smoked the brakes. Just got to let it sit and cool for about 20 minutes and your brakes will work just fine again. You shouldn't worry to much about your rotors if this is the first you overheated the brakes. But don't make a repeat habit or it could warp your rotors.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I have also smoked the brakes. Just got to let it sit and cool for about 20 minutes and your brakes will work just fine again. You shouldn't worry to much about your rotors if this is the first you overheated the brakes. But don't make a repeat habit or it could warp your rotors.
Heating brakes up is one thing, but the OP also reported a gear lube smell and a soft pedal well after his brakes had cooled. As I suggested, pulling wheels and checking bearings, and a complete flush of the old brake fluid would be the minimum I'd do after such an experience.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #18

He might have blown the seals on cv joints. Burned brake fluid is also a cause for loss of brake pressure. But if I were in this situation I would check for a leak in the brake line and make sure the master cylinder is filled up to the full line. I have worked on many automobiles and my experience? No brake fluid, no brakes.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
What CV (constant velocity) joints in a 3500 diesel pick up?? They have universal joints. A leak in a brake line or low brake fluid would immediately show a warning light on the dashboard.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #20

Yes I know, but if you have a bad sensor in the brake fluid Reservior it won't always trigger a warning light. My point? Check out all the possibilities just in case the brake fluid leaked from the system. It might be as simple as replacing a brake hose and replacing the fluid. Obviously a malfunction has occurred and the first rule of mechanics is you don't trust a malfunctioning system The sooner it's fixed, the sooner you can get back on the road. Just my suggestion. Just my two cents worth. I have had brake malfunctions before and the fluid Reservior is the first place I check for trouble and hotspots. I do hope this helps.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.

Tags
brake, brakes