Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #15

My "forever" truck is 10 years old and my budget says it's going to continue to be my "forever" truck for..., well, forever. So far it has served us well, never let us down and hopefully will continue to do that until we're ready to give up RVing. I did a LOT of research before I decided on a brand and year. I would probably choose a different brand if I were shopping new right now, but I'm not so I'll have to stick with what's working for me.

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:37 AM   #16

I'm sure the Ford and Dodge guys will skin me alive but the Duramax Allison combo is the most proven and has been around longer since 01' or 02' they had some injector issues a few years but overall have been solid trucks. Ford can't say that. Dodge appears to a have a great truck now but they just started being great a few years ago. Before that the only thing they had going for them was the good ole 5.9 cummins (with a problematic trans) which was the best pickup motor ever.

They all make awesome trucks now that are much better than anything put out 10-15 years ago. If buying a new truck I would probably still buy a GM but I would give a hard look at the others. They all have huge horsepower/torque and MASSIVE payloads. And I think that if don't buy one truck because of 30 more hp or 200lbs more GCWR or payload you need a bigger truck to begin with.

2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #17

dodge

is now run by Fiat they own 40% of Chruysler. I picked a new Ram

this past September, huge difference from what i've seen in the past.

their transmissions are made by ZF in Germany.

Jim
Old 02-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #18

I worked for a major auto manufacturer for 24 years, and I am officially a "car guy." I've had over 100 new cars--most of which were company cars of all kinds.

"Best Truck" is a subject that opens a can of worms every time. But let me give you a completely objective opinion. You cannot go wrong with any of the Big 3 light diesel trucks. They're all plenty good.

Go out and drive the different brand of trucks.
Look at the features and see what serves your needs the best.
Research wholesale prices online and see what factory sales incentives are in place.
See which dealer is willing to give you the best deal--talk prices.
What dealership has the highest customer satisfaction and quality of service?
Find a dealer that doesn't charge a huge Documentary Fee--straight profit.
If you're financing the truck, have your financing prearranged. You may or may not be able to beat the dealer's captive financing source.

The cream will rise to the top.

I was pricing a new 1 ton dually recently, comparing it to my present 3/4 ton top of the line crew cab diesel. Needless to say, I was shocked at the price. You can save quite a bit if you buy the model with cloth seats--$6K less than my model truck. That almost buys the diesel option.

I recently bought a 2015 model mid size fifth wheel trailer that meets the towing specifications of present 3/4 ton truck. My truck is too good to trade and it's long since paid for. But if I was buying a new truck, it'd have dual rear wheels.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #19

The latest gen RAM's are VERY trouble free!

SAE J2807 towing standards compliant. True medium Duty engine. Why does Ford only offer the Cummins engine in 650/750 trucks thru 2015 MY?

Aisin is a true medium duty transmission.

The majority of RV/hotshotters that own their trucks choose RAM and have done so for many years. A lot of GM's very few Fords.

What does Cummins do? They build engines!

65K on my RAM 3500 crew cab Dually towing a combined weight of 29K with zero problems.

You buy a ford or GM and you will get the delicate CP4 injection pump. Many have had problems with their Fords and were told to pound sand at a tune of 12K. GM on the other hand has taken care of their customers. Cummins still uses the very dependable CP3 pump.

When the Cummins 6.7 came out in 07.5 they did have some emissions related problems but they shortly had those resolved with software changes.

Since Ford started building the 6.7 in 2011 there have been many changes it seems they just can't make it right.

Gas engine I would consider a Ford for sure, GM would be my second choice for a diesel.

Hers is something to consider. When I bought my truck in late 2011 I bought a MobileSuites and joined there forum. At that time I was in the minority MOST were F350/450 trucks. That pendulum has completely changed. Most are RAM's and GM's and not many new Fords are being ordered.

Do your research, test drive them all, look under the hood of them all. Be sure they all have the same tire pressure so you can fairly compare ride.

For those that think "OLD RAM" you really need to test drive a new one!
Old 03-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Not sure it matters but GM sells way fewer 3500 DRW trucks than Ram or Ford. Why aren't people needing a 3500 DRW buying GM trucks?
I think its the price difference that sends guys to at least the RAM,in 2012 I could have saved maybe 6K but just don't like em.
Not me,had a 2003 D/A and now a 201212 dually D/A and will probably get a 2022 GM.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
I think its the price difference that sends guys to at least the RAM,in 2012 I could have saved maybe 6K but just don't like em.
Not me,had a 2003 D/A and now a 201212 dually D/A and will probably get a 2022 GM.
Could be on to something. Mine was $10,000 off MSRP. It's not uncommon to see SD Fords around here at certain times during the year selling for $10-14,000 off MSRP. I never see GM offering those deep discounts. Doesn't mean a guy can't get them. It's just not advertised. IMO they're all great trucks. Any of them can have problems just as any of them can be trouble free. I really doubt that anyone hitching up to 10-14,000lbs worth of trailer would be at all disappointed in the performance of the one they're driving. It boils down to which one looks best, feels best and handles the way the buyer likes.

I got my 12 ST Ram 2500 because I didn't want to get the SLT or an XLT in a Ford. The Cummins is proven and I like the added features that the ST has over the XL. Never owned a GM truck. Just always been a Ford guy. But Ram won out on this purchase.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #22

Ram is not the current best seller but..

The Dodge Ram sales is growing at a greater rate then the GM and the Ford...And if the growth trend continues the Ram will surpass there sales is a few years...
Old 03-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
The Dodge Ram sales is growing at a greater rate then the GM and the Ford...And if the growth trend continues the Ram will surpass there sales is a few years...

Very true!

Look at the Mobile Suites forum. I joined in late 11 and my RAM was in the minority as most were F450's. Now very few Fords are being reported and now mostly GM's and RAM's.

RAM is producing a very nice trouble free truck that has it's claims backed up by SAE J2807 standards.

True medium duty engine and true medium duty Aisin trans.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
Not unless they build another plant .......they are supply constrained .and flat out
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Not unless they build another plant .......they are supply constrained .and flat out
Probably it took so long to get my truck.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #26

If I was to ever get a DRW which I will not, it would be a Ford because I am a Ford guy. I have looked at others, like the look of the Ram and have tried to buy a Chevy truck in the past but the dealers are just bad. With a ford and Chevy costing the same on the sticker, the monthly cost should not be $150 more for the Chevy.

Anyway, I have heard that Ram sales are high and that they may pass GM soon but they have a ways to go to catch Ford sales.

In the end, all will do the job.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #27

I keep looking and gong back and forth between the Ram and Ford although I'm leaning more toward Ram.

Looking at a 5er what has a GVWR of 26,500 although I'm guessing the actual weight would come in around 23K. Still that's outside of the 3500 and even the 4500 so that leaves the 5500. Since the 4500 and 5500 are only offered in chassis cabs you end up with a derated 6.7l engine at 325 HP and 750 left of torque. I ask them about that and this is what they said.

Quote:
Just a quick note to state that the 2015 Ram 3500 equipped with the 6.7L
Cummins Diesel has available rear axle ratios of 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 to
achieve its towing capacity (depending on model).

The 2015 Ram 5500 equipped with the 6.7L Cummins Diesel has available
rear axle ratios of 4.10, 4.44 and 4.88 (depending on model) to achieve
the same towing capacities with the lower HP and torque rating.

The 2015 Ram 3500 with towing capacity of 30,000 lbs. would typically
have a 5th wheel tongue weight of 10-15% of towed item (3,000 - 4,500
lbs.) which falls into 3500 payload specs. If you are going to run a 5th
wheel tongue weight of over 20% you may have to go to the 5500 to
achieve the higher payload. You are correct in that you may run very
close to or exceed the payload (pin weight) on the 3500 with certain
models, whereas the 5500 has a much greater payload to allow for the
greater 5th wheel pin weight and still have payload left over.
Still I just don't understand why to even bother with derating. I know of the engines use in MHs that Cummins will update them for a fee and the warrantee is kept in effect. I wonder if they can do that for the 5500 but I suspect they won't.

So being a engineer but not one versed in engines does anyone have some real world experience with the 5500 towing over 23K?

It's much the same with the F450 ratings in that although it says it can tow 26/31K you start pushing the payload ability well before the towing ability.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I keep looking and gong back and forth between the Ram and Ford although I'm leaning more toward Ram.

Looking at a 5er what has a GVWR of 26,500 although I'm guessing the actual weight would come in around 23K. Still that's outside of the 3500 and even the 4500 so that leaves the 5500. Since the 4500 and 5500 are only offered in chassis cabs you end up with a derated 6.7l engine at 325 HP and 750 left of torque. I ask them about that and this is what they said.

Still I just don't understand why to even bother with derating. I know of the engines use in MHs that Cummins will update them for a fee and the warrantee is kept in effect. I wonder if they can do that for the 5500 but I suspect they won't.

So being a engineer but not one versed in engines does anyone have some real world experience with the 5500 towing over 23K?

It's much the same with the F450 ratings in that although it says it can tow 26/31K you start pushing the payload ability well before the towing ability.
My new RAM is a 3500 Dually Crew 4X4 with the Aisin trans and 4:10's rated to tow a combined weight of 37,600#.

A new RAM 3500 will easily and within spec tow the RV you are talking about.

Arter weighing mine I have at least a 6K pin capacity. Also I have at least 27K towing capacity. All within SAE J2807 specifications.

Pic shows truck in tow mode with the rear air option. It will maintain that height up to max rear axle rating.