Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #29

Dodge sells more trucks because of its advertising, it's huge. I pull 20k easily. I have pulled past new Dodges on hills and they were towing lighter units. All three have the same 9700 rear axle weight with the 3500/350. I ignor factory ratings. Most of it is BS. I get the facts on axles/bearings and if truck pulling it and stopping good.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Best of the big 3

Well, probably get kicked for this comment. I'm a Ram guy but right now, today, feel Ford has the edge for the tow vehicles. In the F350/ 3500 range, it's not the engines OR the gear ratio's in the differential that is making the difference. The real difference is the transmission gearing. Ram being the worst, even with the Aisin trans. GM second. Google "gear ratio on (trans model) and see for yourself. The low gearing on the Ram is also very high compared to the others and to make matters worse, they also have the widest spacing between 1st and second making getting to the engine "sweet spot" when towing the higher grades in the higher elevations almost impossible. I did re gear mine to the 4.56 (6.4 gas) but still feel the towing could and should be better. Going to the lower diff ratio's, even though it gives more power, is not ideal considering the ring to pinion contact. Almost 3 teeth on the 3.73 and 2 or less on the 4.56. For those of us that tow heavy, extra care (fluid changes) will be a necessity in order to get the longer wear period using the lower gears. As for the heavy haul, 15 to 20K, the Ford 450 I think has a different trans and gears making it better still. The Ram 4500, actually, according to Ram, has a "lower" tow weight than the 3500 because of frame construction. Hauling capacity is the only gain and the trans and diff are the same as on the 3500. Just my observations.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #31

I have the Aisin with 4:10's. I no way would want to start with any lower transmission gearing.

Sorry IMHO it's RAM, GM then Ford well behind. Like I have said before look at the RV haulers and guys that haul heavy for a living most areRAM's then GM and Ford far behind.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Well, probably get kicked for this comment. I'm a Ram guy but right now, today, feel Ford has the edge for the tow vehicles. In the F350/ 3500 range, it's not the engines OR the gear ratio's in the differential that is making the difference. The real difference is the transmission gearing. Ram being the worst, even with the Aisin trans. GM second. Google "gear ratio on (trans model) and see for yourself. The low gearing on the Ram is also very high compared to the others and to make matters worse, they also have the widest spacing between 1st and second making getting to the engine "sweet spot" when towing the higher grades in the higher elevations almost impossible. I did re gear mine to the 4.56 (6.4 gas) but still feel the towing could and should be better. Going to the lower diff ratio's, even though it gives more power, is not ideal considering the ring to pinion contact. Almost 3 teeth on the 3.73 and 2 or less on the 4.56. For those of us that tow heavy, extra care (fluid changes) will be a necessity in order to get the longer wear period using the lower gears. As for the heavy haul, 15 to 20K, the Ford 450 I think has a different trans and gears making it better still. The Ram 4500, actually, according to Ram, has a "lower" tow weight than the 3500 because of frame construction. Hauling capacity is the only gain and the trans and diff are the same as on the 3500. Just my observations.
I will not comment on the F450 since this truck is a 1&1/2 ton truck and should be measured against the CC4500 Ram truck.

Now show me the SAE towing test results that shows the 2015 Fords beating the Ram 2015 trucks in the SAE towing test J2807. in case you did not know the Ram truck was the only vehicle that meet this test.

That is why the Ram trucks are selling so will also do to the AISIN transmission along with the 6.7L Cummins engine; enough said.

Jim W.

P.S. I have towed with my 08 in the Rockies and the Bitterroot mountains out west towing my 5er and never drop below 5th gear. With the 6..7L Cummins, 68RFE auto, 3:73 gears; 4X4 Mega cab.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #33

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly you are towing with a gasoline engined Ram...If so your torque curve is high up in the RPM range and that is why you had to put a 4.56 gear set in the truck...If you had the Cummins in your truck it would have 800+torque numbers at less then 2000 RPM..I suggest you do some research prior to your next truck purchase...
Old 03-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #34

I'm a Ford guy, but I am impressed with the new Ram trucks. If I was in the market to buy a new truck, I'd give them serious consideration.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD View Post
I'm a Ford guy, but I am impressed with the new Ram trucks. If I was in the market to buy a new truck, I'd give them serious consideration.

Lots of them on the MobileSuites forums are doing just that!

Thinking you can rest on a 16 year old platform, two failed Diesel engines and not start loosing market share will catch up with you. Also as said needing to compare a F450 to a RAM 3500 is just sad.

All RAM pickups comply with the SAE J2807 ratings.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #36

Just take your thumb and push in the door panel. You will see why Ford SD over sell the other 2. A dear hit the door of my 2005 F250 in full speed running across the road and left 2 little dimples that I have really look hard to see.
Industry knows what lasts in the field.
No RVer realise that but Ford does.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes those Fords made 10 years ago were really something. If they could put a diesel in them as good as the Cummins they would still be the #1 truck in Canada and Ram would not be closing the gap between then as fast as they are.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:38 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Tow comparisons

If you have the time, go to U Tube I believe and watch the Ike Tow comparisons. There are 2 that I've saw that are fair comparisons between the big 3. Hate to say, Ram falls short in both of them. Even the one with 3500's hauling only 10K up the grade. That's where the transmission gearing is the big difference. Not so bad with the diesel but with the gas, it's terrible. Ram is geared so high that it can't even begin to get to the engine power band even in low. I've also towed it once with my 13k 5'er and can tell you that is all they are capable of. I had the 3.73 but really don't think even going to 4.10 will make a huge difference. Have yet to pull it now that I've re geared. Will go over the mountain this July and am hoping for much better. Already went from 8 mpg, best, on the flats of eastern SD to 10 in the mountains in western CO after the gear change. Am anxious to see what I can do on the flats now. Hoping for better than 10 mpg ????
Old 03-14-2015, 01:25 AM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That Ike test is set up to sell one particular brand of truck. Guess witch one. It's easy for a mfg to call it a test and bias it by a small item like the rear diff gear ratio. I didn't buy a diesel to race to the top of Ike. Where I work, we buy nothing but Fords and many are Diesels. The mechanics hate them and none will own them. If I couldn't have a Ram I would go GM, and it hurts to say that.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I have the Aisin with 4:10's. I no way would want to start with any lower transmission gearing.

Sorry IMHO it's RAM, GM then Ford well behind. Like I have said before look at the RV haulers and guys that haul heavy for a living most areRAM's then GM and Ford far behind.
x2. Also look at yearly sales in the 3/4-1 ton trucks. Fords 1st, Rams 2nd and GM's 3rd. Ram sells almost 2x as many 3500's as GM. Why? Price? Cummins? Pick whatever works. I know several years ago we were looking for a used 2500-3500 truck. Looked on Craigslist and GM 3500's were almost nonexistent.
Lots of Fords and Rams. My initial thoughts were that GM 3500's were so good that owners weren't trading or selling them. Then I noticed the YTD sales and saw the writing on the wall. GM hardly sells any 3500's. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. The Dmax/Alison combo is darn good. It's a price thing IMO. GM never discounts like Ford and Ram. Also in my area at least you can't hardly find a 3500 GM on the lot. Ford and Ram are stocked to the gills with them. That makes for a competitive selling environment. If GM had more than one or two on their lots the dealers might be more incline to discount them.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #41

Quote:
If you have the time, go to U Tube I believe and watch the Ike Tow comparisons. There are 2 that I've saw that are fair comparisons between the big 3. Hate to say, Ram falls short in both of them. Even the one with 3500's hauling only 10K up the grade. That's where the transmission gearing is the big difference. Not so bad with the diesel but with the gas, it's terrible. Ram is geared so high that it can't even begin to get to the engine power band even in low. I've also towed it once with my 13k 5'er and can tell you that is all they are capable of. I had the 3.73 but really don't think even going to 4.10 will make a huge difference. Have yet to pull it now that I've re geared. Will go over the mountain this July and am hoping for much better. Already went from 8 mpg, best, on the flats of eastern SD to 10 in the mountains in western CO after the gear change. Am anxious to see what I can do on the flats now. Hoping for better than 10 mpg ????
Good luck with that Bro. I have 4.10's in my 3500 drw ctd, and at 60 mph towing 17.5 k I'm getting between 8-10 mpg. I think the 4.56 will be worse. IDK, but I hope you get better than 8mpg.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
x2. Also look at yearly sales in the 3/4-1 ton trucks. Fords 1st, Rams 2nd and GM's 3rd. Ram sells almost 2x as many 3500's as GM. Why? Price? Cummins? Pick whatever works. I know several years ago we were looking for a used 2500-3500 truck. Looked on Craigslist and GM 3500's were almost nonexistent.
Lots of Fords and Rams. My initial thoughts were that GM 3500's were so good that owners weren't trading or selling them. Then I noticed the YTD sales and saw the writing on the wall. GM hardly sells any 3500's. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. The Dmax/Alison combo is darn good. It's a price thing IMO. GM never discounts like Ford and Ram. Also in my area at least you can't hardly find a 3500 GM on the lot. Ford and Ram are stocked to the gills with them. That makes for a competitive selling environment. If GM had more than one or two on their lots the dealers might be more incline to discount them.
That is strange. Both my duallys have been GM and had no problem finding one. I still stand by and believe they are the best towing truck there is. The Allison/Durmax combination is very smooth, tows great and control coming down a hill is great. And they all limit rear axle at 9750 by specs.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote