Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

So what is the best out of the big 3

The question I raise is what is the best 1 ton dual wheel diesel pickup out of the big three...I have my favorite which I own but in this thread theres no need to tell you what it is...My least favorite of the 3 i would not buy under any circumstance even if it meant selling my 5th wheel because I've owned one and it had numerous expensive engine troubles...BUT HERE IT IS BIG CLUE how to determined which one is for you...Go online and find a extended service policy sight...Type in the make of each truck one at a time make the truck 3 years old or so...Now get the price of the insurance policy and write it down do the same for all 3 models the price discrepancy will astound you...No one keeps track of vehicle repair frequency and cost to maintain more so then these companies...Naturally the higher cost policy will be the truck with the most problems... I hope this helps you make the right choice when buying your truck...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #2

Sounds like you already have all the answers. Easier for all of us if you just share them.
jjvallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have already bought my truck for the next ten years of travel.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't need to do all that work, everyone will just purchase what they like. Dodge has the strongest drive train in a diesel setup, Ford has the best truck for reliability in a gas version, and Chevy is in between the other two with either drive train setup. Personally I would get an older ford that the engine has blown, then put in a Cummins diesel and add an Allison tranny.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #5

I have not done any real research, not in the new truck market, but it looks like any of the big three would be a good choice. (2015 models) Personal preference and how the dealer would deal.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Best of the Big 3

After the research I've done, wouldn't be afraid to own and tow with any of the Big 3. All have their strong and weak points. I think the only thing I would do would be to choose one with the lower gear ratio's. Doubt if there's much difference in haul capacity between them but gearing will make all the difference if you want to travel the country. Think lower is better as normally , when towing, it's usually in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. Still have the top OD for unloaded driving and by going lower, you will have the power to pull the higher mountains and with reserve power. Especially for those who will be hauling towards the upper capacity of their trucks. As for engines, diesel definitely stronger but gas, with the proper gearing, will pull anything within reason. As for going "used". information that can be obtained and prior maintenance records will tell a lot as well as a good test drive. Maybe, have a mechanic you trust or friend, help with the evaluation. After purchased,, unless just accomplished, would service the trans, differentials, steering, and brakes. Good PM will always pay you back. After that, " Enjoy the Ride" You've earned it.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #7

Most truck owners are brand loyal and facts do not get in the way.

Jim W.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #8

I started this thread

Let me 1st say I am not a full timer, my wife and I are fair weather travelers so we camp April-October and then winterize our 5th wheel...Now back too tow vehicles,chances are you will not have a engine problem in your truck when using it as a grocery getter...If and when the problem arises it will likely take place when you are towing...If your car has to go into shop for an extended period of time for engine repairs its no big problem just rent a replacement until repairs are completed...But this is not the case with your tow vehicle you can't rent one with a 5th wheel hitch in it...So therefore you are down until the vehicles engine repairs are completed and in some cases it could take weeks,as it did with my previous truck...Our engine problem occurred on our way to our favorite camping resort in mid July...You have to make reservations to this particular resort a year in advance..We had reservations for two weeks and that's how long it took the dealer to install the new engine...Our disappointment was unbearable so with that being said folks do your homework when buying your next truck...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No need to pull the cab off a Ram to work on the diesel. Ram is the last one to offer a 6 speed stick trans. Sorry about the vacation, any truck can fail, but most never do.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #10

I would go on price and service after the sale.
I was dealing a GM and went home with a Ford 8 years ago. Don't know what will be the next one. But be sure it will be on value for the dollar spend.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #11

Not sure it matters but GM sells way fewer 3500 DRW trucks than Ram or Ford. Why aren't people needing a 3500 DRW buying GM trucks?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
Naturally the higher cost policy will be the truck with the most problems... I hope this helps you make the right choice when buying your truck...
My truck's been so good the extended warranty folks pay me to carry their policy.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #13

I haven't made up my minds yet but the Ford 2015+ F450 sure looks good. The 6.7l 440HP 860 ft-lb of torque engine has some real pulling power. It's been tested with 30K up a 6 and 7% grades. Add to that 19.5" 10 bolt rims and it looks like one heck of a truck.

You can't order the 2015 anymore but it shouldn't be long before the 2016s come out. Not cheep but what truck is these days
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I haven't made up my minds yet but the Ford 2015+ F450 sure looks good. The 6.7l 440HP 860 ft-lb of torque engine has some real pulling power. It's been tested with 30K up a 6 and 7% grades. Add to that 19.5" 10 bolt rims and it looks like one heck of a truck.

You can't order the 2015 anymore but it shouldn't be long before the 2016s come out. Not cheep but what truck is these days
Ford is the way to go. Dodge is on the not recommended list fom Consumer Reports. Too many problems with engine, transmission and DEF components. Chevy is down on power and technology but sure nice inside. The Ford is not perfect but I wonder why they dominate the market. Must have something to do with quality, features, reliability and reputation of the new Diesel engines.
No truck is perfect and everyone will obviously make up their own mind. It's fun shopping so enjoy the process!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote