Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #15

WITH ALL THIS TALK ABOUT DIFFERENT POWER AND SUCH I CANN'T HELP BUT WONDER HOW MOST OF YOU'LL TRAVEL!
I MYSELF WON'T GO TO THE EXPENSE OF A NEW OR USED MDT SO I BUILT MY OWN OUT OF A '88 CHEVY SCHOOL BUS WITH A 8.2 DIESEL MOTOR AND ALLISON TRANS!

THE BUS ITS SELF WEIGH IN ABOUT 15,000 AND THE 5TH WHEEL COMES IN ABOUT 14,000!

I JUST CUT THE BACK OF THE BODY OFF AND ADDED A BACK WALL AND THEN CUT THE FRAME DOWN BEHIND THE REAR WHEELS, MOUNTED A HITCH AND HAD ALUM. DECKING ADDED AROUND IT!

SO FAR I'VE GOT TWO AIR RIDE SEATS AND PLAN ON PUTTING TWO MORE IN!

I'VE GOT ABOUT 10 FT OF SPACE FROM THE BACK OF THE DRIVERS SEAT TO THE BACK WALL!

THE BUS HAS A 35 GALLON FUEL TANK AND THERE IS A 150 AUX, FUEL TANK ON THE BACK FROM A 'BIG TRUCK'! AND YES YOU HAVE TO TAKE OUT A LOAN TO FILL IT UP!

A FEW MONTHS AGO WE TOOK A TRIP FROM GA. TO S.DAKOTA AND THEN OVER TO NEW YORK STATE AND BACK DOWN TO GA.!

AND YES IT LAID DOWN ON A LOT OF THE MOUNTAINS BUT IT NEVER QUIT PULLING! WE STAYED OFF THE INTERSTATES HIGHWAY BECAUSE AFTER DRIVING 'BIG TRUCKS' FOR 15 PLUS YEARS I'M NOT A FAN OF THEM!

BUT THE POINT BEING FROM START TO FINISH I'VE ONLY GOT ABOUT $5,100 IN THE WHOLE SET UP COUNTING THE PRICE OF THE WHOLE BUS TO START WITH!

I KNOW THIS SET UP ISN'T FOR EVERYBODY BUT IT WORKS FOR US AND BESIDES WE'VE GOT THE REST OF OUR LIFE TO GET ANY WHERE WE WANT TO GO!

LATER THIS YEAR WE HOPE TO MAKE THE NATIOAL RALLY! HOPE TO SEE YOU'LL THERE!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #16

In a pickup based MDT, I suppose there's the F450 and Dodge's cab and chassis 4500 and 5500. The GM 4500 and 5500's I'm not too sure about. I've talked to owners who traded out pretty quickly.

If I recall correctly if you go 6500 you can get the Cat C7 or Cummins ISB? The F650 with Cummins or Cat might also be a possiblity.

I really like the business class M2 Freightliners. They cost twice what a pickup based truck does, but would probably last twice as long.

For the same money or less, though, you could probably find a used HDT with hundreds of thousands of miles left (especially towing RV trailers). Make sure to have a mechanic inspect it, and do the dyno run. I guess they can also measure crankcase blowby.

Talking to a few guys who have gone that route, HDT's seem to get better MPG's than I would have thought, and you would never want for more power or stability.

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #17

Well we have been pulling our 5th wheel with a '94 FL60, which has a Cummins prior to the electronics. It still does a wonderful job, and gets around 10 - 11 mpg, and would do better if DH didn't push his right foot so hard. We think this truck should last our lifetime, or at least as long as we can drive and pull the RV. We wore our our 95 Alfa with this Carriage. We don't get to spend as much time in it as we would like. (Something happened to the economy.) Because this is a Cummins, it can be rebuilt without nearly the expense of rebuilding a Cat engine. We do regular maintenance and still uses no oil. Really wish Detroit would make an engine like the 60 series for MDTs. We have some of the Detroits with over a million miles and have never had a wrench on the engines.

Say your prayers and wash your hands cause God and germs are
dchasteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #18

I lost a line in the previous posting. It should have read, "We wore out our Alfa with this truck and now we are working on wearing our the Carriage." Sorry 'bout that. Don't know what happened.

Say your prayers and wash your hands cause God and germs are
dchasteen is offline   Reply With Quote