Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #1

??????????????????????????????

Year 2004
Manufacturer CHEVROLET
Model KODIAK C4500
Price US $49,995
Condition USED
Engine Specs GMC
Engine Type DURAMAX 6.6
Mileage 8,950
Horsepower 300
Transmission Automatic
Check for Over Drive Yes
Engine Brake No
Suspension Air Ride
Tires 19.5
Wheels Aluminum
Number of Rear Axles Single
Fuel Type Diesel

???????????????????????????????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #2

????????????????????????????

Year 2008
Manufacturer INTERNATIONAL
Model 4400LP
Price US $127,000
Condition NEW
Engine Specs International
Engine Type Maxxforce 9
Horsepower 310
Transmission Automatic
Check for Over Drive No
Engine Brake Yes
Suspension Air Ride
Ratio 411
Tires 22.5
Wheels Aluminum/Steel
Wheelbase 187"
Number of Rear Axles Single
Front Axle Lbs 8,000
Rear Axle Lbs 17,500
Fuel Type Diesel

Of course I'd look for a used one.

??????????????????????????????????????????

Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #3

Money wise the GM truck is your best bet. Both are slightly under powered for any thing over 25,000 lbs combined weight if your looking for a truck that never lays down in the hills. The IH is much more of truck and will not have anything wear out in 100000 miles inc the brakes, tires......For the cost savings even if the GM truck was towing over 25K your going to have a hard time saveing any real money to say its worth more. 300 HP is about the same as a 3/4 ton pick up (Ford , Chevy, Dodge with a diesel ) but yout getting a better , more stable truck that the power is in . FYI the GM pickup truck have more power then the med duty trucks . P/U = 360 hp , 650 ft TQ ..... MD duty 310 hp , 550 ft TQ for the GM stuff since 2006
Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #4

For the same 50K you can get an honest to goodness used MDT that will run for ever pulling a fiver. Do a web search. There are a lot of people buying used MDT and converting them for very little money.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Given the price of fuel nowadays there are none!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #6

Thanks xc-mark.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by 450Donn:
For the same 50K you can get an honest to goodness used MDT that will run for ever pulling a fiver. Do a web search. There are a lot of people buying used MDT and converting them for very little money.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Little clarification needed however. I've been looking at MDT 'haulers' that are set up for towing specifically. Are you talking about just getting a cab and chasis and then converting it? Not sure. Thanks.

I'm also looking for reliability. Who seems to be doing the best job these days? Chevy, Ford, International or Freightliner? This last for anybody that wants to chime in.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #8

The IH should be a much more capable TV than the GM. Despite the derated MaxxForce 9, the torque should still be around 850 lb-ft given the spec range for that engine.

300-330 hp (223 - 246 kW) @ 1,200 - 2,200 rpm
800-950 lb.-ft.(1,084 - 1,288 Nm) @ 1,400 rpm

For that kind of money though, I'd expect it to be turned up to max rating, and also be able to hitch/unhitch itself!

I just came back from the IH Engines website, and found that a 310 HP rated MaxxForce 9 is rated at 950 lb-ft. That's a huge difference over the D-Max.

MaxxForce 9 Power Curves
Old 05-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #9

Thanks dbear. I spent a lot of time in the International website last night too. Wow. Some website. It cheers me to know that good ole International is doing so well. We always had international tractors when I was a kid. I've had a couple of International pickup trucks. My cynical self wonders if the present company has any real connection to the 'International' of the past. Prolly not. I have a Husqvarna dirtbike and the name means nothing. Good bike though.

I do find the pricing a bit curious however. No reason to expect new trucks to fall in price. Quite the reverse actually However the seeming solidity of used prices is curious. Of course I need to study it more. I want to track several sales and determine if there are in fact all that many sales. Someone seems to be bidding on some decent trucks on ebay. Perhaps a significant number of folks are still willing to follow their dream even at $4.50 and up per gallon. Although it is undeniable that many have parked their rigs and don't plan on moving them till prices fall ..... which may never happen. Its a tough time to think about buying. Could be the very best time .... could get so bad that buying would be way stupid.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #10

Scott

There is a more to compare than the hp rating between the Chevy & IH, or other HDT manufacturers. Your reaearch on torque is the more important item. While you are researching the web info, check out the durability of the components used by IH, Kenworth, Freightliner, etc. For example, what is the life expectancy of the diesel engine, Allison trans, driveline, rear axle, tires, etc. The Allison trans does not require a filter & fluid change until 75k miles. Chevy, Ford, & Dodge have trouble making it to 75k with their automatics! A Caterpillar C7 has a rated life of 500k. I've towed with a Dodge and 2 Ford 1 ton duallies in the past 16 years, and none compared to the Sportchassis I have now. Was it expensive? No more than the 3 trucks combined. But none of them performed as a complete package as the Freightliner does. This truck came with air suspension on the rear, cab, and seats; large disc brakes; 22,5 Michelin RV tires; pac brake; etc.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron F:
Scott

There is a more to compare than the hp rating between the Chevy & IH, or other HDT manufacturers. Your reaearch on torque is the more important item. While you are researching the web info, check out the durability of the components used by IH, Kenworth, Freightliner, etc. For example, what is the life expectancy of the diesel engine, Allison trans, driveline, rear axle, tires, etc. The Allison trans does not require a filter & fluid change until 75k miles. Chevy, Ford, & Dodge have trouble making it to 75k with their automatics! A Caterpillar C7 has a rated life of 500k. I've towed with a Dodge and 2 Ford 1 ton duallies in the past 16 years, and none compared to the Sportchassis I have now. Was it expensive? No more than the 3 trucks combined. But none of them performed as a complete package as the Freightliner does. This truck came with air suspension on the rear, cab, and seats; large disc brakes; 22,5 Michelin RV tires; pac brake; etc.
Thanks Ron. Very very helpful.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #12

Scott You may want to look into a HDT conversion. We have less than 30K into ours and gained two extra beds plus 400HP & 1450ftlbs of torque.
Doug

Trailersaver hitch, custom bed
Crazybanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Scott,

You can find a great listing of used and new haulers (MDT & HDT) over at horse trailer world . com

Doug

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #14

Thanks again guys. Yeah I hawk all the for sale sites daily. I'm intrigued by the whole HDT thing. Impressed with the Volvo 610 and its 50 degree wheel cut. It's a buyers world these days. Lots of folks parking their rigs.