Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Sounds like the O.P.'s got his answer but here's a handy calculator in case anyone else is curious:

RV Tow Check | Towing Guide Eliminator

I can't help but notice the above site is promoting their advertised product, the Automated Safety Hitch System. Hence,

"If your current vehicle's max 5th wheel weight is significantly less than the max conventional weight, and you were hoping to tow a 5th wheel, read our hands-on review about the Automated Safety Hitch System. - See more at: RV Tow Check | Towing Guide Eliminator"

fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's a small note after the calculator and explanations. Not a blatant sales pitch or clickbait site.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawHD View Post
But these newer max tow, max payload, or heavy duty models are impressive and I believe that the big 3 will likely keep making more of those types as there seems to be a market for them.
Ford has been producing a heavy duty half-ton pickup since at least 1997. In 1997 thru 1999 model years it was an F-150 with heavy duty suspension and weird 7-lug wheels with LT tires they badged the F-250 and called it the F-250 LD (light duty). But it was a sales flop. Beginning in the 2000 model year, Ford produced the same truck but badged it the F-150 with heavy duty payload package. Sales were so slow that dealers wouldn't stock them, but you could order one if you really wanted that truck with 7-lug wheels.

Sales were slow because too many customers wanted the increased payload capacity, but not at the expense of having to settle on a stiff ride and 7-lug wheels that could not be replaced with ordinary aftermarket wheels.

Beginning with 2015 model year, Ford changed the heavy duty payload package to include ordinary wheels in either 17" or 18" diameter. Much, much, more desirable for a lot of customers, but then Ford didn't produce any 2015 models with the HD payload package. They were in the order guide as "late availability", but none were ever scheduled for production, The HD payload pkg is available in the 2016 order guide, but with still under "late availability". So as of today you still cannot order one. And if and when they do come available, dealers won't order any for stock until after demand increases enough that the dealers will know they will sell and not take up room in unsold inventory.

So good luck in buying an F-150 with the HD Payload package. It's much easier to buy an F-250 SuperDuty.

Granddaughter, the Tennessee cowgirl barrel racer, had that problem a couple of years ago. She wanted an F-150 with HD Payload Pkg to drag her 7,000 pound horse trailer to rodeos without being overloaded. But none were available in stock anywhere east of the Mississippi. And like most customers, she didn't want to wait 6 to 8 weeks for Ford to build and deliver her new truck. So she bought an F-250 6.2L SuperCab shorty out of her dealer's inventory. She has been very happy with her F-250. (But she doesn't know the joy of having the EcoBoost engine.)
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #46

I thought I remembered that the 7-lug wheels were only available for 2-3 years.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I thought I remembered that the 7-lug wheels were only available for 2-3 years.
'97 thru 2014 is a bit longer than 2-3 years. Time flies when you're having fun.

The F-250 LD was available only 3 years ('97 thru '99 model years). But the same truck with the same 7-lug wheels but with a name change to F-150 with HD Payload Pkg continued in production for another 15 years (thru the 2014 mode year). I don't have a Source Book for the 2015 model year, but I suspect the 17" wheels available with the HD Payload package and XL trim are still the same ole 7-lug wheels carried over from the 2014 model.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #48

DaveRG,
The Jayco trailer you mentioned is a much better match for your truck. Being that yours is a Crew Max, the towing capacity is less than the 10,100 lbs. mentioned. The 10,100 lb. rating is for a standard cab long bed two wheel drive base trim truck. Crew Max with 4 wheel drive is around 8,100 lbs. towing capacity. Yours will be somewhere in between those two ratings if it is a 2 wheel drive. My local Toyota dealer took out a half page ad in the paper a few years ago to give all the actual tow ratings. There was an accident and possibly a legal case involved of a customer with a 4 wheel drive Crew Max who towed beyond the actual rating. Many folks apparently think that the 10,100 lb. rating applies to any Tundra, regardless of configuration. That is not the case.
DaveF-250SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #49

Thanks...but the factory manual lists all the specs for each model Tundra. The 2wd model's capacity is well above 10,100 in the manual, and other configurations list different numbers (crewmax, double cab, 2wd, 4wd, etc) are all specifically enumerated. My capacity is listed at 10,100 with my ordered tow package (w/out it was a few hundred pounds less).

Thanks for the reply! I feel like I got a great deal. This thing was literally used once, there's not a spot on it...still has the new smell and the cabinets still have the stickers on them!
daveRG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help