Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Spare Tire - Chevy 2500HD Duramax

I recently purchased a 2008 Chevy Duramax and noticed that I did not receive a spare from the dealer. I want to re-place the spare tire and wheel - the vehicle has 17" rims with LT265/70R17 M/S tires currently on it. Someone told me that Chevy puts standard 16" wheels and tires on these trucks new as a cost savings - my question is, what should I get to replace the spare wheel and tire that is missing.
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

I'd go back to the dealer and demand a spare tire and wheel but that's just me.
-Paul Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I'm with Paul. If it was originally supplied with a spare and the dealer sold it to you without a spare, I'd expect the dealer to come up with one.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #4

Don’t know for but a spare tire and wheel was an option on pick up trucks.

Paul
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
May be on a Chevy - I don't know since I've never owned one. I DO know that I've never had to order a spare tire on any of our three Dodge duallies - they all had them as standard equipment.

Rusty
Old 09-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
The window sticker on my 2009 GMC 2500HD lists the spare tire as:

TIRE, SPARE LT245/75R16(E) 10 PLY ON-OFF ROAD BLACKWALL $11.00

It also lists the other four tires as:

16" ON/OFF ROAD BW TIRES $44.00

There is no mention of a spare tire under "Standard Equipment".
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Since there's no way a tire and wheel can sell for $11, don't you think the $11 you're being charged for each tire (the spare and the four on the ground) is probably just for the on/off road tread pattern?

Rusty
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I agree, Rusty. I think the $11.00 is just the "Upgrade" charge from the ALL-SEASON TIRES that are listed under "Standard Equipment".

However, I still suspect that on my GMC the spare tire could be optional because there were two optional charges- one for the tires on the truck ($44.00) and a separate charge for the spare ($11.00). Otherwise, why wouldn't they just have shown one charge for $55.00 (5 X $11.00)?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
REF: Spare Tire for 2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Like some of the responsed mentioned, according to the dealer, the spare tire was not on the truck when ordered new. Since I bought it used, I have no way of knowing whether or not this is true, at least that I know of. Someone else told me that GM in a cost savings effort, beginning sometime before 2007 began supplying all spare tires with 16" rims/tire combos so that these would fit all styles of pick-up trucks, tahoes & suburbans included. In any event, my vehicle has 17" wheels/tires (LT265/70R17) on the (4) tires currently on the truck. My question is, after I talk to the dealer which I have already done, and they refuse to budge, what size spare do I put on the vehicle? Further, it doesn't even have the cable and/or hardware on the underside of the frame to mount a spare that I can see, simply a large, empty space!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthomann View Post
...Further, it doesn't even have the cable and/or hardware on the underside of the frame to mount a spare that I can see, simply a large, empty space!
I'm sure a visit to a junk yard with late model GM trucks could resolve that problem in short order. You could probably find a wheel there too.

Do you have the jack and associated tools for lowering the spare tire from it's holder? Better check in case you need these too. See the Owners Manual for more information. You can download one in digital format (usually .pdf) if the copy supplied with the truck is missing.

Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My 07 has a full size spare just like the four that came on the truck - I think in my options I paid extra for all season tread - but no extra for the spare. Here is a link to the GM Spec site - Select Vehicle - Online Ordering Guide Go to the Print Book and select Silverado 2500HD select Print Model and then press Print - a PDF file will open with all the factory standard and optional RPO codes along with descriptions. When I looked - spare tire carrier with steel wheel of equal diameter to the ones on the truck is included - the tire mounted on it is either standard or of whatever option you choose. Print this off and take it to your dealer as proof - however since it is used - the previous owner could have removed it prior to trade - not sure what kind of recourse you have.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
REF: Spare Tire for 2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

I was back at the dealership this a.m., and they promised to look into it and find out why I didn't get a spare. Meanwhile, the service mgr led me to the drivers side door where there is a plate with all (5) tires (spare included) stamped with what was supplied on the vehicle from the factory. Low and behold, it lists the spare as an LT265/75R16E which matches the od of the 17" wheels and tires that I currently have on the vehicle. So I'm off to the salvage yard to see what I can get - as to mounting hardware, I will look there as well or perhaps mfg some type of holder assembly. Thanks to all for the help.